“Don't Miss a meal here!!!”
Review of Hotel La Quartina

Hotel La Quartina
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mergozzo
New York City, New York
“Don't Miss a meal here!!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This food is incredible - That’s all there is to say.

I didn’t stay in the hotel so I cannot comment on rooms etc.
But the restaurant food is really special, and the location is hard to beat. The salad alone was worth the journey and the tortellini…. I could cry that I’m no longer in the area to stop for a plate.

So good we went twice in a week.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hebrew first
Locarno, Ticino, Switzerland
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I've been frequenting this restaurant for 5 years, not for the service but for its location and food. To say that the owner is "aloof" is an understatement. Even after a dozen or so visits and many very generous tips, he never gave the slightest inclination of having recognized us in any way.
This evening, my friend and I decided to have dinner at this restaurant and that's where the problems started. Our white wine was extremely warm. It certainly wasn't refrigerated, which is inexcusable in any case, much less when it's 33C outside. Our appetizers were not bad but the main course was another story. My friend's fish came breaded, when there was no mention of this on the menu. We both asked for no potatoes only vegetables. We both got potatoes. I ordered the rooster, which was actually a deep-fried sparrow, by the look and size. It was so dry, it was almost impossible to cut through or chew. I asked for some sauce but was told there IS NO SAUCE. So I tried to ask for some hot sauce (salsa piccante), which is available in every single restaurant in Italy, and the waiter brought me salt. I then asked again and they proceeded to bring me mustard. When I told the owner that I don't want mustard, he was yelling at me through the whole restaurant, with his back towards me as he walked back into the kitchen. I have never seen such rudeness in all of my life. Just when you think that things could not get any worse.... wait... they did. In my dry sparrow/rooster plate, I first found a nasty piece of plastic. I put it aside and continued eating. I didn't say a word. Then, I take another bite and I realize I'm chewing on a piece of paper. (I'm sure you know that feeling if it ever happened to you!) I put both the paper and the plastic on the side of my plate and told the waitress about it. They looked at me like I was some kind of an idiot and this had nothing to do with them. As we were leaving, the owner took off hiding across the street (probably to get some more warm wine out of his car) and as he saw as walking back to our car, he quickly looked away, not even acknowledging us. No apologies, nothing. Never, ever again!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Right from the start I'll say there are both good and bad things about this hotel and on the whole I think the good out weigh the bad.

I'll start with the positives - by and large the hotel is in a great location on the edge of the picture-perfect little village of Mergozzo - and as you sit eating breakfast on the decking over-looking the tranquil lake and mountain beyond - you'll think you've found a tiny pocket of heaven - so, as I say, for all the less positive things I think this is makes up for most.

The hotel is split into two - the main hotel and a few doors away the annex - I didn't stay in the main hotel - but friends did and from what I can gather the better rooms are in the annex.

We had a suite and the rooms are large with a big big bathroom, dressing area, living/dining/kitchen ares and bedroom with either two small balconies or a little sunbathing area and when the weather is nice it's an ideal place to sit looking over the lake.

But the rooms are basic - no air con which makes them sweat boxes at night and here lies one of the problems - depsite what appears a tranquil location - it does get quite noisy so it makes it hard to sleep with the windows open. There is an extraordinarily noisy train that passes to the rear of the hotel - not too often but mainly at the wrong times - first thing and late at night. Also the hotel is directly on a noisy, fast if not that busy road which makes the ground floor rooms noisier than those above but even higher up if you have the windows open you get traffic sound. Also there is a children's payground and 'beach'/grass area that get quite crowded and noisy fairly early and being next to a camp site it's a popular meeting place for teenagers to hang out at night - again all noisy if you have to sleep with windows open - which you do because of lack of air-con.

The beds are two singles pushed togther and really not very impressive (more like a hostel) and the showers are downright cheap with horrible plastic folding doors, there's no electric kettle or teabags/coffee etc, no free water, cheap bathroom freebies, thin, worn towels - all these things make the room feel as I say 'basic'.

However, the breakfast is wonderful, absoultely perfect, fresh thick pear juice, thinly sliced hams and salami, fresh baked bread, home-made fruit tarts, big brown eggs, strong italian coffee, local cheeses and an amazing two inch thick slab of dark rich chocolate just waiting to be taken chunks from all in amazing surroundings so however noisy or disturbed your night was this morning delight makes it all disappear.

The restuarant during the rest of the day is a touch on the pricey side but not massively so but does a mean porcini pasta and ice-cold beer.

Although in fairness the one thing Mergozzo does have is no shortage of good restaurants so you wont starve.

Another small negative is that, as I mentioned above, the hotel does face directly on to a road - with NO pavement - so it's a little hairy walking in to and out of hotel as it's on a bit of a blind corner and we all know how italian love their fast driving we had several close shaves and I wouldn't want to make walk with younger kids.

One lovely thing is the hotel is perched on th edge of a lake and the crystal clear waters entered via a gentle sandy sloping beach make it impossible not to be lured in so take your swimming trunks.

I would say having stayed in Italy many times - I have never had a great room so the whole you could probably do a lot worse - especially if you beleive in location location location - ps also take mozzie spray.

Room Tip: head for the middle floor of the annex
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank iloveglamping
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We loved the location of this small hotel - by Lake Mergozzo and just a short stroll up from the sleepy town of Mergozzo. The hotel owners were very friendly and helpful, allowing us a late checkout and use of their computer/printer. The highlight though was the restaurant, which had a lovely terrace overlooking the lake and served very good food. That said, it was very warm and humid when we were visiting and there was no aircon. Our room was also very small with little ventilation though we saw other much larger rooms with views of the lake and a balcony. We will certainly stay at this hotel again, but we will choose our room carefully.

• Stayed July 2010
Midlands, UK
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Having looked at the hotel's website, we booked a four day stay by the side of this pretty lake. We thought it looked lovely from the pictures and the website promised "private parking and beach". On arrival, we were directed to our room at the top of the hotel. We staggered upstairs with our bags to a room which was tiny and crammed full of superfluous furniture! The shower room was so small that you could sit on the loo and rest your chin on the basin! We opened the doors on to the small balcony and the noise from the beach was incredible. There was a childrens playground, families playing football, shouting and screaming and dogs barking - similar to an English seaside resort. I'm not a grouch, but we booked this place because we thought it would be peaceful. It was a hot day and this tiny room had no air conditioning, so rather than suffocate, there was no alternative but to leave the window open. My husband went down to speak to the owner who told him it was a public beach so it was used by the village and the large campsite next door. The owner did not offer an alternative, he simply made it quite clear that if we did not like it we could leave. We stayed one night and had to put up with loud music from the campsite which went on to the early hours. When we came down for breakfast at 9 the next morning, the owner said in a loud voice "make sure you vacate your room by 11!!". We paid and checked out by 10 - relieved we didn't have to spend another night here. The moral of the story is that you can't always rely on the hotel's own website!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CarolineMidlands
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Fortunately the restaurant at the Hotel Splendid was closed and they recommended us to come here. What a wonderful experience, we were collected from our hotel by the charming owner of the hotel whose wife it turned out was the chef. We treated ourselves to several courses including Foie Gras and a main course of fresh lake fish, we finished with a wonderful half bottle of Ruinart champagne it was a magical experience and for such wonderful food not a bad price at 140€ for both of us. If you are staying at either Baveno or Stresa don’t miss it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rodney B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mergozzo
Hotel Carillon
Hotel Due Palme
Hotel Due Palme
#2 of 7 in Mergozzo
Bed and Breakfast La Casa nel Bosco

Been to Hotel La Quartina? Share your experiences!