“If your a local your okay!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Stag Inn

The Stag Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Traditional Village Pub serving great beer and sources local Food. Dog friendly all year. Food served from 5.30 to 9.00pm Wednesday to Saturday. Saturday afternoon from 12 to 3pm. Sunday 12pm to 5pm. Booking strongly advised.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If your a local your okay!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been to the stag inn a few times for evening meals but the last time we went everything was just awful. My boyfriend took me for a meal just before christmas and the service we received from start to finish was disgusting. We first had to wait over 10 minutes for 2 soft drinks to be poured then another 20 minutes for our food order to be taken, after we had both made our choices the waitress came back after 5 minutes to say that they didn't have what my boyfriend wanted and shoved the menu in his face to make a decision, we couldn't believe what had happened and then when our meal arrived it was supposed to be accompanied by a naan bread and potatoes which never arrived and when questioned about it my boyfriend got a look as though he had2 heads!! Whilst this was all gong on the staff really couldn't be bothered with anyone as they were too busy laughing with the locals, well I'm sorry if your paying a lot of money for an average meal you should have better service. I won't be going back in a hurry!!!

1 Thank Jungle84

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was our second visit for a 'bar meal' at this pub and I have to say it proved to be somewhat disappointing. On entering we were directed to a table and when I then went to the bar to get drinks I was told that my drink order would be taken at the table. Eventually the waitress took or drink & food order. When the drinks had not arrived after 10 minutes I went to the bar to ask when we could expect them to be told by the waitress that she was not allowed to pour drinks but that they would be with us soon. A short time later I noticed the same waitress poured my wife's wine and I think also my pint as there was nobody else behind the bar, she then brought them to the table. My pint (Peroni) was not as cold as I would have expected but I put up with it as I did not want a further delay as we had already been seated for some twenty minutes.
When the food arrived I have to say my 'finger licking chicken' was very good as were the hand cut chips, however the same could not be said of my wife's 'ham & pickle' sandwich. The brown bread (we were not offered a choice of brown or white) was of poor quality more akin to a supermarket value range than quality bread one would expect in a restaurant and the same could be said of the ham. The olives in garlic oil and the side salad were good.
There was a lack of attention and organisation of the staff culminating in my being presented with somebody else bill.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank chris5110
Carlisle
“Identity crisis - is it an Indian or a pub - avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We visited this pub one night in December when it should have been packed with Christmas diners. Unfortunately it was nearly empty and this hugely detracted from the atmosphere. I have a feeling that the owners have recently taken over because it seemed to have a rather bizarre menu that was made up of half Indian/Thai dishes and the other half as the usual pub fare.

Much was made on the menu of 'mother's indian family favourites' etc but what a disappointment when the food came. The menu claimed that the biryani was something very special but I am afraid to say that it wasn't. Fish and chips were OK.

I don't like to give negative reviews ordinarily and there is much to recommend in the pub itself as it's very olde worlde and comfortable but they do need to get the food right. At one time a good few years ago it was something of a destination restaurant but not any more. Also, the prices are really high for a village pub in Cumbria. Never again. If you want Indian go to one of the decent Indian restaurants in Carlisle and if you want a good pub meal there are many better places than this.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Austriamad2
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Went for a birthday meal one night of the week back in May. The food was very good as was the service and the prices.

The owner chatted away to us and made us feel very welcome, nothing was too much trouble. He even gave us a free bottle of fizz to toast my friends birthday when he found out we were celebrating.

This place does not deserve the couple of bad reviews on here at all.

Edingworth, United Kingdom
“It's wonderful if they've not run out!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked a table for 4 at 7.30pm. Warm, comfortable and cosy pub. The staff were lovely but I felt for the girls waiting table and as the gammon, fish, cumberland sausage, and cheesecake had run out - each time they would come back from the kitchen to break the news. However we then chose something less common from the menu and found the food excellent and better than many fancier restaurants. Had they had our initial choice we probably would have enjoyed our meals less.
Only real issue was that those with longer legs couldn't fit them under the table - either table needs raising or chairs lowering.
We will go back