“Haven Sent”
Review of The Haven Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunmore East
The Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunmore East
Reviewed August 8, 2013

While been a regular visitor to Dunmore East for over 15 years this was the first time to stay in the Haven.What a wonderful experience ! Great food at good prices.Rooms with breathtaking views of the sea and the strand and a family run hotel with a great history. The Kellys should be very proud
of what they have achieved over the last 60 years and now with Sharon and the other family members taking the helm, it is in very good hands. Looking forward to going back again .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed at the Haven Hotel for 3 nights (July 12th ~ 14th) with a large group. The whole experience was incredible ~ wonderful and friendly service (Sharon is a star!), yummy food, incredible view and rooms. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea/front lawn are beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MadamK2013
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good honest hard working staff who give 100% to customers good value honest hospitality fantastic food and so clean can not fault the Haven, we will be back, only disappointing thing was leaving this fantastic hotel keep up the great atmosphere and teamwork.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We've been visiting The Haven annually for almost 10 years now, first as a couple for the Bluegrass festival each August and now with our 2 kids (who are not quite festival-ready yet). The Kelly family have been so welcoming to us down through the years that The Haven feels like a second home. The hotel is quirky and charming which, for someone who has stayed in more soulless chain hotels than he cares to remember, is a joy. The food is superb in our experience and the selection of whiskeys always a highlight of any visit. I really can't speak highly enough of The Haven and look forward to visiting many times in the years ahead.

Room Tip: Josie's room (number 2) is perfect for a couples' weekend with a fabulous four poster bed. R...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnCrothers
Reviewed June 4, 2013

You know those hotels where the receptionist (usually wearing flawless makeup & a professional smile) greets you exactly the way the script says, the rooms are just like the one you stayed in the previous week in a different city and you feel like you're just a number - and then a month later the memory of the hotel blends with all the other soulless hotels you stayed in? This ain't one of those.

The Haven is a family run establishment in an old building. The rooms are converted so they're of varying sizes and the partition walls (ours, anyway) don't provide much sound insulation. The welcome and the greeting at breakfast were warm & sincere, and the breakfast was just what I wanted - cereal, fry, OJ, tea & great service with advice on where to go for the day. The TV had just 3 channels (a good thing, given the thin walls). The sea view was lovely, too. One has the sense, a little, of staying as guests in someone else's big house. Certainly it was just what Mrs. B_t_m and I wanted for the bank holiday weekend. If you can enjoy the quirkiness, then go stay here. If not, pick a chain hotel.

Oh, and we recommend the cliff walk & the Azzurri restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Broadens_the_mind
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The beauty of this place is unexplainable! The food is comforting and fresh. The staff is down to earth and welcoming. Sharon was just a doll-we loved chatting with her! This jewel is in the perfect little quaint town! Love it!!! A must stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank Jmeoneill
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have happily stayed often in the Haven when I was a frequent visitor to the Waterford area in the late 80s and indeed found that it lived up to its evocative name. Accommodation and food were always consistently good, the staff were welcoming and I always looked forward with pleasure to my visits there. And no wonder. The location is spectacular and one of the best in the area and with its eastwards facing aspect one has a grandstand view of the mouth of the Suir river and Wexford across the water.
On this visit however, I found that things had changed quite a lot and mostly not for the better.
On checking in I went to the bar for a well-earned drink after a long day’s work in nearby Waterford and casually asked the young lady for a glass Sauvignon Blanc. A young man, obviously hearing this came out from the bar and told me that they did not do that particular wine by the glass or quarter bottle but that I could have any one of a number of alternatives, none of which I wanted. All I had asked for was a glass of perhaps the most commonly available varietal white wine in this country and here I was being told I could not have it! There is a not-too-faint recollection here of Fawlty Towers (referred to in the business as the FT syndrome). When I asked the guy to open the bottle anyway he was a little taken aback and when I started arguing with him firmly and politely he capitulated and with a remark, which included an inappropriate Anglo-Saxon expletive of the four-letter variety, poured me a glass there and then. This is the first time in my many years of travelling that I have come upon such a bizarre and singularly unhelpful attitude. (This man has an attitude problem and appears to be in the wrong business. This was commented on also by a previous reviewer.) I felt like leaving the place on the spot but I could not contemplate the thoughts of driving back into Waterford to find another hotel for the night.
I dined later that evening in the restaurant and ordered the paté which was really very good followed by a large portion of cod, also delicious. I even managed to extract another glass of SB from the staff and then another, and ended up by finishing the bottle which was not a very good idea given that I had a full schedule of work ahead of me the following day! The cod came with a portion of mushy peas, which seemed so much at variance with the delicate nature of the fish; I asked to have it removed from the plate. I have no problem with that side dish when the main course is the robust cod deep-fried in batter but with a slab of delicately cooked fillet, no thank you! The music, supposed to be background, was not conductive to calm dining and I had to ask at least four times to have the volume turned down to a reasonable level. I would have preferred to have had it turned off altogether.
The bedroom too had a touch of the FTs about it. This had to be the smallest room in the hotel and if it wasn’t I would not like to see the smaller one. It was very narrow room with a double bed placed at an odd angle against the front window, which left very little room on the side for getting in and out of bed. I wondered why, since I was the only one staying here, I had been placed in this rather cramped space. It was room 3 if you are interested. There were too many pillows and cushions on the bed, all but one of which had to be removed in order to get into the bed. However there was one redeeming feature, the luxury of an electric blanket, which I was glad to use in a season which we laughingly call “summer”!
However the bed itself was comfortable and I had a good night’s sleep. Thank God for small mercies.
The following morning I had breakfast in that delightful, old-fashioned breakfast room and with the sun shining in the window at least it looked like a summer’s day from the inside. The meal was excellent with the Irish fry cooked to perfection. With some home-made brown bread and a very good coffee I was set up for the day.
However in spite of the good food in this hotel I shall not be returning any time soon.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 3
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 4 in Tramore
Waterford Marina Hotel
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford

Been to The Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!