“All round family break away” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Strand Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Dunmore East B&B and Inns
ireland
“All round family break away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

I spent three nights at easter in the strand hotel with my husband and three children aged 13,10 & 7 the rooms were all newly painted with all new bed linen and towels we had a double room with an adjoining bunk room with suited my children very well and mam and dad had their own privacy also we had breakfast every morning and they catered for my childrens fussy needs as well as us adults getting our breakfast handed to us. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant again my children were able to choose of the menu and they were very happy .The hotel is situated looking out over the sea and the views are amazing there is loads to do in dunmore and tramore is only a short drive away I would recommend this hotel for its friendly and helpfull staff and also for its location everything is at hand no need to leave the hotel if you dont have to.It is the best value in dunmore the room prices are very affordable well worth a trip back hope to make it back for the next bank holiday.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank karenfowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

On the plus side, the room offered a lovely view of the beach and seaside. And some elements of the room appeared to have been recently renovated. The shower was newly installed. The flatscreen TV appeared to be very new as well.And the bedsheets were fresh, clean and warm.
But the room was othewise a bit shabby and needed some finishing. The terrace had plastic chairs and an electric cable falling on it. The cable for the kettle was too small for the kettle to be turned on on the table and needed to be put on the floor. The showerroom did not have a towel holder. The breakfast was in the restaurant, which had a really nice view and friendly staff. But the meal itself was a bit disappointing, with what appeared to be microwaved bacon and sausages.
Finally, the Strand Inn is located right above a very traditional Irish pub, with a group of local men appearing to socialise and drink there all day and evening. We were given a long stare when walking in which did not contribute to us feeling overtly welcome...
Overall, I would recommend staying somewhere else if you value the pleasanteness of the room above its proximity to a pub.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonDodo3
clifdenfoyle, Owner at The Strand Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Hi
I'm sorry there were aspects of your stay that you didn't enjoy. I have been doing up our hotel and obviously you were staying in one of our half finished rooms. I have now completed them all so if you'd like to come back and have a stay on us I'd be delighted. In regards the breakfast I can assure we do not microwave our sausages and bacon, in fact all our food here is cooked to order,
Be that breakfast, lunch or dinner. The gentleman you encountered having a drink in the bar i have no control over, but I can assure you most of my customers are very friendly and polite.
Clifden foyle
Galway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

I stayed here based based the website which showed very comfortable attractive rooms. The room I stayed in was anything but. The room had little or no decor, the wardrobe was broken, the window was cracked allowing in ample noise from the speakers which were placed directly under the window. The bathroom was extremely cramped with a door which was sawn in half to create slightly more manoverable room. Moving past the room things got worse. 5 minutes after speaking with the owner at the end of the night, myself and my girlfriend were locked out with no way of contacting the reception (there is none) or calling the hotel number(No reception in this part of the town. The following day, when complaining to the owner I was told I should have thrown stones at the windows. I really do believe that some fellow customer would have gladly awoken to somebody throwing stones at their window, interupting their slumber and opened the emergency exit for me. I will NEVER stay in this dump ever again. I believe there are two rooms which were recently done up and this it what is shown on their website. If you do decide to stay here make sure you see the room before you hand over any money and do not stay in the front of the building unless you need the sound of the band, pool tables, drunk customers and passing traffi to sleep. Oh yes, the staff were rude and it was way over priced too.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank thegypsyjoe
clifdenfoyle, Owner at The Strand Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Hi,
I'm very sorry about your stay with us. Since your stay I've put in a coded door so nobody gets locked out again. I have since put in a reception as well. We are always listening to what our customers are saying and trying to improve what we do. At the time of your stay I had 10 of our room done up, i have since done up the rest. So if you would like to contact me i would like to offer you a weekend on us. Clifden Foyle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

Walked down to here from the Golf Club Cottages and stumbled across this Inn . Had a pint of beautiful Guinness sitting on the Patio overlooking the bay as the sun set. Friendly bar people. Had a poke around and decided to book a table for the next night in the dining room. Came back the next night, had our pre-dinner drinks and was shown into the dining room which is overlooking the Bay. Ordered our meal which arrived promptly and was excellent. The wine we ordered was not available but the waitress recommended a replacement which was excellent. We were in Dunmore-East for a week and ate out every night. This was the best place we ate. We ordered in from the Lemon Tree and that too was excellent.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

i have been travelling a long time now and i have frequently visited the southeast of ireland and have come across the strand inn on several occasions. the hotel is situated in one of the most picturesqe places i have seen in europe. i decided to stay a night or 2 in the Inn. i came into the bar and was greeted by a very plesent barman whom showed me several rooms of which i could choose from. i ended up staying in room 2 which had a great view of the bay, comfy beds and standard toilet and shower facilities, i organised a booking for an evening meal with the barman who explained to me that i had the choice of 2 menus i could choose from the Barfood menu which was a little over priced or food from the seafood reastraunt which sounded mouthwatering. i chose to eat in the restraunt and i did not regreat it. i was seated a little late but that is to be expected in a busy restraunt, but my wait was well worth it, the waitress were very friendly and polite and made me feel very welcome. for my meal i had mouthwatering fish and garlic/cheese potato and blitzed carrot and turnip for my mains followed up by a delicious choclolate marquess and cream for dessert and topped off by a really strong black coffee. i went to the bar to be socialble and was looking for some good whiskey and was given the option of several varieties by the bar man. i listened to the live music that was being played and was captivated by the 2 young men and was shocked to find out that gigging was only a way for them to make extra money. i really enjoyed my night and retired to bedroom. as some of the rooms are above the bar, the live music could be heard very clearly but lucky enough my room wasnt too close. the next morning i had my breakfast which very filling and i enquired about staying for my 2nd night. they accomidated me again for a second night so i was all set for my day out in the village, until it rained. i spent the day in the talking to the local wo/men and staff who informed me of the village history and many of its current events. i did find 1 of the bar staff to be a bit blunt and sharp with some of the locals and customers. i had dinner that evening in the lemon tree which was splendid. i came back to the village to my hotel and went to bed early. i could hear the music but it was more soothing rather than anoying. i booked out the next morning and would gladly recomend and return to this hotel in the future.

i did also read several of the comments previous to mine and wanted to raise a few issues with some comments.
1/ why was the lady leaving the hotel at 5am?its not a 24hr hotel the doors were probley locked for security reasons.
2/ the lady for the hair dryer. the hotel is not rated to any stars which means they do not need to supply certain items unless requested. and do most women not travel with there own hair care equipment.
3/and most restraunts in europe do not tolerate kids misbehaviour and im sure you would have been the 1st to complain about the noise they were making. maybe the woman could have dealt with it in a more tactfull way.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripswitch2009
Carlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Strand Hotel in Dunmore East is set in Ireland's most picturesque location, from the balcony in our bedroom we could we could see a beautiful bay with boats and swimmers basking in the sunlight. The staff were exceptional in every way, from the moment we arrived we were made feel very welcome. Although there was no reception area we were attended to immediately by a very friendly bar lady who seemed genuinely interested in us and went out of her way to ensure we got a room with a view. After unpacking we went to the restaurant for what can only be described as 'a mouth watering experience', the food was absolutely divine. We then retreated to the bar were we looked after by the lady who booked us in and were entertained by two young men who have to be the most contemporary Irish musicians I have heard ever. These young men were outstandingly talented. As we were residents we were allowed a late drink and it was at this time that we got to know the staff as they cleaned the bar. They were attentive and good humored and extremely polite. I would have no hesitation
in staying at the Strand Hotel whenever I am traveling in the south of the country again, I would even go out of my way to stay in the Strand Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

We would echo the comments made by others this month - why so out of tune with previous guests. They were unhelpful and couldnt have been less interested in their guests. The food was good but overpriced (7.50 Euro for a ice cream dessert) and was eclipsed by the Spinnaker Bar round the corner which was great in every way (good food,music and friendly service). The room (15) was nothing like the picture on the website and we too had to pay upfront from a disinterested bar tender. We tried to get a hairdryer on two occasions but they were unable to find one at all! No-one checked to see whether all was well and the owner was much more interested in chatting to the local dignatories and monied guests. Overall very dissapointing and expensive for what it was - we would suggest staying somewhere else in Dunmore East which is a lovely village - we would eat at the Spinnaker Bar.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,086 reviews
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arthurstown

Been to The Strand Inn? Share your experiences!