“Horrible Experience”
Review of SABAS Beach Resort

SABAS Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in La Libertad
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Greeted by a man with a rifle in the front, no hot water, bathroom had a urine smell, shower had a big stain, the water in the pool looked unhealthy, the lock to the room was a bathroom lock, no where to go in walking distance. At night the only person in the hotel was security everyone else went home. I've traveled to many places and I had never experienced this before. No check in receipts and most importantly no check out confirmations. I could not stay another night and the owner/person in charged refused to provide me with a receipt of one night and told Expedia that they held the room for the rest of the nights when I clearly told him I wasn't coming back. I felt so unsafe that I told him that my early departure was due to family being too far. A very dishonest person that soon it will all catch up to him. The only good thing about the hotel is the staff they are great people working for someone that just cares about money and not customers. This was not a great experience.

Room Tip: A secluded hotel surrounded by low income homes.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Leticia M
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Greetings…..I am very sorry about your comments regarding your last stay, as I am very surprised to hear all you negative comments regarding our resort. Please note that we, at SABAs Beach resort pride ourselves to deliver exceptional service at a very reasonable price. Proof of that are our precious guest’s scores and comments that have put our facilities and service as the Trip Advisors #1 lodging destination within Puerto de la Libertad.
While I fully understand why you were upset with us, please keep in mind that I did my best to work with you to help you expedite your earlier departure without any penalties, as you did not purchase your room nights with us. In addition, I was very understanding when you stated that your family members were too far from our hotel, and that you needed to move to a closer area of San Salvador. I even offered you a receipt that could be presented to your traveling agent so you could get a full refund for the rest of the 2 nights, but instead, you declined hoping to get a full refund for the entire stay. Had I known that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay when you and I talked, I would had given you 100% your money back.
Never the less, I wish you well, and I hope you enjoyed your last visit to El Salvador……..I hope you do come back again to visit our small, but beautiful country.
Kind regards,

Armin Alfaro

There are newer reviews for SABAS Beach Resort

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our trip to El Salvador was primarily to take surfing lessons in La Libertad and Sabas seemed like a nice place to call home base for a few days.

Arriving at Sabas we received a warm friendly welcome and I was impressed by the bright colors and open space of the lobby area. From this area there is open access to pool and a two story cabana type building at the back of the property which is near the beachfront. This is a nice spot for dining or just relaxing during a sunset.

A gate at the back of the property below the cabana building allows entrance to the black sand beach and soothing surf. However, the beach is not as clean as it should be.

Although listed as a resort, I am not sure this property meets the standards of what most avid travelers would consider a resort. For sure, it has some of the amenities you would find in a typical resort like on property restaurant, bar and pool.

We only had drinks from the bar which were reasonably priced but looking at the restaurant menu we thought the food items were too expensive. US$11 for a hamburger was a bit steep.

Our mountain view room had a nice cold air conditioner, was spacious, clean and had comfortable beds although a few things annoyed us about it. The worst thing was we discovered after an afternoon at the beach that we could not take a hot shower.

We learned from the staff that the hot water had not been working for days and felt cheated. We should have been told this at check in and given the option to cancel our stay or be compensated in some way for this major inconvenience after pre-paying online US$152 for two nights.

Another annoyance with our room were two small windows that had no curtains which was bad news for sleeping in. Being in one of the more expensive ocean view rooms may have helped although with the two story cabana, outdoor dining area, I am not sure you get much of an ocean view from these rooms.

Although a wireless router (D-link) was located down the hall from our room, the internet service was temperamental but probably could be improved with a better updated router.

The bathroom which was also clean and spacious had two sinks but only one had water available. The toilet paper holder was broken, the toilet water pressure was low and sometimes required multiple flushings to get the job done. Of course, the shower had no hot water and taking a shower was more like camping than staying at a resort.

Our last night at Sabas we did use the pool which was nice although the water was not clear. What appeared to be dirt spots in the pool were just areas that needed painting or maintenance to fix loose flooring.

Despite all of these disappointments we managed to have an enjoyable stay because we did not spend much time at Sabas. During the time we did spend at the property the staff was amazing especially the guard at night who went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and enjoyed our time at the pool.

I think a car is a must if you stay here as it is at least a 5-10 minute drive into town with local transportation seeming to be not too common. This property probably was very nice when it first opened but it is in need of some attention which seemed to be in progress during our stay.

I hope this property will improve in the areas I see as lacking as it could be a really nice alternative for staying near La Libertad even when the surf is not up, dude!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank DMBTraveler
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Greetings from Sunny San Blas, El Salvador. I just wanted to thank you for your business and provide you with an update with one of your concerns, which it was lack of "Hot Water"

I am very happy to report out that we had recently installed two brand new water heaters which it provides hot water service throughout the resort at all times.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to having you stay with us during your next visit to El Salvador.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had to stay here, the name is a portmanteau of San Blas, but coincidentally the same as my last name. :-)

Anyway, it was a good pick for us. The place felt safe and the service, mostly from Luis, was excellent and attentive. The place is clean and comfortable with plenty of room to spread out and stretch. Prices are relatively expensive for El Salvador, but I suspect that the recent popularity with foreign tourist for Puerto La Libertad and its nearby beach side community is driving costs up. By US standards, the price is reasonable and I have no regrets since I feel I got my money's worth.

There's food service on site and the menu is tasty and varied. The kept the pool area clean and inviting for lounging around and relaxing. The free wireless will not reach the rooms furthest away from the routers, I sat at the downstairs and on the second floor lobby for best signal. There's beach access directly out the back. Overall, this was a good stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2013

First time visiting this hotel. We really loved this place.
The hotel still smell like new, rooms are clean and modern, food and service was great. We totally loved the beachfront restaurant. Special thanks to Paty Nadia for cleaning our room everyday.

Will see you again next year.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms have the best view to the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Hello Donald! Thank you so much for the nice review. We hope to see you soon again.
Again, thank you for your business and take care of your self

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I want to start by thanking the staff but specifically Nadia(accommodating our room change), Jose Luis(ensuring we had drinks and food), and Oscar(keeping the premises safe). My family stayed at SABAS for about ten days and had a great time. This cozy hotel fits someone who is in search of relaxation; that is, sitting by the pool and eating/drinking all day long(you will have to travel about 5 minutes to get to busy EL Tunco and La Libertad, major surf destinations). My 3 year old and my 10 month old enjoyed their time in the pool. We liked the music that was played all day long and the people who visited the hotel. The food was good and we always had the option to venture outside of the hotel, as there are plenty of restaurants along the beach. Wifi was available but only on the first floor(I've been told that the hotel will be rewired and access to wifi will be available to all rooms). If you plan to travel with kids, do bring snacks for them such as chips and candy.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms with ocean views are great, you get to watch the sun set every day!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank surf123321
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Hello from Sunny Playa San Blas!
Thank you for your nice comments regarding your stay. I wanted to keep you updated with a few improvements of our resort. We were finally able to upgrade to a much faster WIFI service. Also, during this upgrade, we were able to address the second and third floor coverage as well. WIFI coverage reaches all the way to the beachfront restaurant….I am very happy for this!
Also, in case you are interested to learn surfing, we are in the process of offering “Free Surfing lessons” sometime soon. I am hoping to have it all ready to go by this coming November.
We are also in the process of converting the entire third floor restaurant to a “Mater Suit” for large families or extended stay. It will be self-sufficient, with a full kitchen, Jacuzzi, and all other amenities expected in a suit.
Based on your feedback from your last visit, I am thinking on adding a small gift shop to carry small snacks, candies, sun screen, swimming suit, and any other items expected in a gift shop.
Thank you, for your choosing us, I please give my best regards to your wife and son.
All the best

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at Sabas Beach Resort for one week in early October 2012. For most of that time we were the only guests there, except on weekends when there were a few local couples as well. We were met at the airport for the pleasant, approximately 40-minute drive to Sabas.

Location: Sabas Beach Resort is located a short drive from the port at La Libertad and at the far end of the road along Playa San Blas. There is a channel running inland that divides the resort from the next beach which is at times mostly dry and at other times waist-deep depending on the tides and time of day. Playa San Blas is a short (5-10 minutes) drive from other popular tourist/surf beaches such as El Sunzal, El Tunco, and El Zonte. The beach at San Blas is beautiful dark sand with great waves, however swimmers should be aware of the very strong tides.

The Property: Sabas has rooms on the first two stories, plus an open-air restaurant/bar on the roof that was not in use during our visit. The views from the roof were gorgeous, whether looking at the beach and sea or the surrounding hillsides. Birdwatchers will be delighted by the amazing variety and diversity of species visible right on the property.The ground floor includes the reception desk with a small bar and a lovely dining/seating area with tropical tones and artwork. Located on the beach side is a refreshing pool as well as an outdoor dining area. During our stay there was some construction going on as the covered roof over the dining area was being removed to be replaced. The management apologized to us repeatedly for this inconvenience, however in reality it was no inconvenience whatsoever. We would love to see what the area looks like now that the renovations are no doubt completed.

The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Our 2nd story room was painted in bright, cheerful colors and had a great beach view from balcony area. The room had a powerful air conditioner, however most of the time we kept the windows open for the cool beach breezes and soothing ocean sounds. There was also a cable television if anyone is interested.

Service: Excellent. As mentioned earlier we were the only guests for most of our stay. However the staff (particularly Claudia the manager, who was just fantastic) was attentive to our every need and Armin the owner answered all of our questions via email in advance of our stay. They catered to our vegetarian/vegan diets with customized meals of delicious local fruits and vegetables, pasta, beans and rice, as well as fresh tortillas and breads which we could see being handmade daily right on the property's adjecent kitchen. The staff accommodated our (very) limited grasp of Spanish and always managed to understand our requests.

We would certainly recommend Sabas Beach Resort to anyone looking to visit El Salvador and look forward to returning there ourselves as soon as possible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MichaelMichelleNJ

Greetings! Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay. Our staff has not stopped talking about both of you. They really loved you guys and though that you two were one of the nicest and most respectful people they ever came across. From an owner perspective, I personally appreciate that, as I fully realize that my staff is my most valuable asset to stay in business.
Again, thank you for your business, and as a token of appreciation for being a good guest, I would like to extend a free two nights stay for your next El Salvador trip. Please shoot me an e-mail when you are ready to book your visit.
Thank you!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I really like the view of the hotelThe problem with the hotel is!They don't have a phone in the room! No hair dryer!They don't have a iron for ironing wrinkled clothes! expensive food! expensive water .. No coffee machine!they sell the coffee!And the Ice too!..
If you have friends,they can't come to your room How pathetic!..I stayed for two weeks it was the first time I bring my husband and my two girls! And I need ice to keep my baby milk bottle cold they charge me for the ice!They don't even give you free ice! Please before you go there check all the reviews!,don't let them fool you!!!

Room Tip: Keep looking for better hotels I know the beautiful country have much more option in hotels..
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Dora Michael R
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Greetings from Sunny El Salvador!
I am very disappointed to see that you still carry this on your shoulder. While your last and only stay with us was last August, this is the second bad review you and your wife write about our beautiful resort. I still remember your beautiful family of 5 staying in one of our rooms. At that point everything was fine until you guys were trying to sneak in 6 other family members to stay in the same room……this is a security issue, and I am so sorry that we were not able to accommodate your wife’s request.
As you stated, there are other nearby hotels where you can stay in your next visit to El Salvador. It all comes down to what it that you are looking for. The market is pretty big and we get to pick and choose, base in our needs and desires.
Our goal as a hotel is to make sure that each of our hotel guests have a very memorable lodging experience. Privacy, security, cleanliness, and Food Safety are our number one priorities as a hotel, and it can never be compromised.
We, at SABAS Beach resort very proudly hold the Trip Advisor best Beach resort within the area. This is due to the endless efforts from our front runner employees that display very genuine hospitality skills, as part of our resort culture is to go above and beyond to take care of our guest needs.
Thank you for your business and feedback, and wish you all the best to you and rest of the family.
Kind regards,

#2 of 2 in San Luis Talpa
Hotel Tekuani Kal
Hotel Tekuani Kal
#6 of 22 in La Libertad

Been to SABAS Beach Resort? Share your experiences!