“An amazing week...”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in La Libertad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“An amazing week...”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

When my boyfriend and I were visiting his country for the first time in 8 years, we chose Sabas for its location (close to the airport and Santa Tecla, where his family lives). We're so happy that we made that decision. The service and hospitality at this resort is incredible and I've worked in hospitality management for the last 15 years. The property is very clean, well kept and the staff really know how to take care of their guests. We arrived very early Sunday morning (well before check in) they gave us a room to use for the day until our oceanfront room was ready. From the moment we arrived and during for the entire week, Alvaro, Luis and Jose were there to help with anything we needed. These guys are a true asset to the business. We will definitely be back. Thanks for everything guys!!!!!

Daniel & Roberto

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This place is great! my best friend and I took a trip Honduras and Nicaragua an decided to do El Salvador as our last stop before heading back home. The airport is very close by so we thought that it would make more sense for us to stay close by. We had originally plan a one night stay and ended up extended 3 more days. We loved the place, it was clean and the best hotel we came acrossed during our trip. Food and service was great. Jose the server was the best!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you so much. We really appreciate your kind comments and feedback. Jose was very happy to know that you mentioned him in your review.

Please keep us in mind in your next visit to our beautiful country of El Salvador. We, along with the rest of the community of Puerto la Libertad really appreciate your support of choosing San Blas as one of your preferred places to visit while visiting El Salvador.

The local government and rest of community are very focused on continuing improving our natural resources so it can be shared with all potential travelers such your self.

Again, thank you visiting El Salvador and we look forward to your next visit!

Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I really liked this place everyone was very nice and helped us with what we needed. Luis Alberto assisted us b/c we arrived early even though we couldn't get our room unitl 3 they did have a room were we could put our luggage. Nice open space the room was really nice with a/c and a balcony looking out the pool and beach. I had a good time. If you don't want to spend $$ in there restaurant there local places were you can eat for a cheaper price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Greetings from Sunny San Blas!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your lodging experience with us. I am glad to know that your loved our facilities and your room location. Most important, thank you for recognizing Luis’s service efforts. Believe it or not, your recognition to Luis really adds more fuel to his service spirit.

Tank you so much, and please let us know whenever you decide to visit us again, so we can personalize your stay.

Kind, regards,

Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights here during the busiest time of the year in El Salvador - Easter week. We arrived, were warmly greeted, and it all looked great - but:

A bed skirt, pillow shams and comforter make up the bedding - no sheets, no pillows. However upon request we were given 2 pillows and a cotton sheet. There was a lamp on one side of the bed but not the other which is a pain when one person wants to read (the bed is huge). The bath mat was pretty filthy. No one came and cleaned the room, emptied the trash - nothing. Music is played loudly all morning, all day and late into the evening. There is never a break. Trash under the beach chairs wasn't picked up, table tops in the lobby area weren't wiped until the following morning, so there was no where to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee.

Menu prices were by far the highest we saw all vacation. In all fairness, if I am going to pay US prices that are on the higher end, then I expect a dining experience.

The staff was always friendly and smiling, the owner seemed nice, and many of the staff were working hard, but the truth is, the place just didn't deliver. I worked as a waitress for years and at one point even cleaned hotel rooms. Busy times are to be expected and the details I mentioned above are standard. It saddens me not to be able to recommend this hotel to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mfollis
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Greetings from Sunny El San Blas, Puerto de La Libertad.

I a very sorry and disappointed that we were not able to meet and exceed your lodging expectations. I will follow up with the room’s operation manager in regards to the bedding situation. I am very surprised that this happened to you as we do have bedding brand standards that we followed, the same goes to the daily service of the rooms.

Just a suggestion for your next visit to any Central America country, if you are looking for a full relaxation trip, with not too many people and noise around you, please try to stay away from Easter week. As you stated, this is the busiest week of the year for all Central America countries. All beach hotels and restaurants are expected to be running at 100% 24/7 so you can only imagine what to expect….a lot of people, noise, loud music…..this is part of our culture during this period of time. Not an excuse, it is just reality. Never the less, we most definitely take advantage of your feedback and act upon it.

In regards to the menu prices, while our menu prices are very competitive with the market place, our restaurant menu prices range from a $9.95 burger to a $22 lobster and filet mignon dish. Not bad considering that all our meats & poultry are imported and are USDA approved. Although it is more costly to us, importing our menu items to the resort is not a negotiable item to us as it gives us a sense of relief of knowing that our menu choices meet and exceed the highest food safety and quality standards to our guests.

If you are looking to be more adventures, you can also visit some of the near by little food stands. While food safety might not be their main concern, most definitely you would be able to find menu prices at as low of $3.50 per meal. At the end of the day, it is all up to the guests in how fur they are willing to go with all dining options.

I just met with the entire staff and shared your feedback and we all hope for an opportunity to having stay with us in your next visit to El Salvador.

Again, thank you for your business, and I hope you did enjoy your entire trip to Central America.

All the best!

Birmingham
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one week. We had a great time which was due in apart to the friendliness of the staff. The two mangers were really nice and the lady manger was especially nice when my husband was feeling sick...offer him tablets and asking him how he was . If fact all the staff showed genuine concerned about him. Furthermore, all the staff could not have been nicer or friendlier. I would definately recommand this hotel to my firends.

• Stayed March 2012
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Hello and thank you for your review. I met yesterday with both manager of the resort and shared with them your comments. I could actually see a very nice but shy smile from the female managers when she heard your comments about her. She remembers you guys well….thank you for doing this!

Until then, thank you for your business and we look forward to your next visit!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed Sabas Beach Resort. The staff including Arnando, Jose and Luis were among the nicest folks I have ever encountered. The chef may be the best at a hotel that I have stayed at. It is situated nicely at the end of a lane way with other hotels and haciendas, and a short distance from La Libertad and El Tunco.

The taxi service is reliable and cheap ($10 roundtrip to El Tunco and La Libertad, $35 to/from airport). The price for value was very strong. I read the note about music from a previous reviewer, and it was a bit annoying hearing Kenny G for a week, but no biggie. The only point I would make is on food prices and liquor (with the exception of local beer), which was at US levels.

Overall, a nice spot to escape the hustle and bustle. I would come back again!

Room Tip: ask for the second floor, as the ones next to the lobby get noisy
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Thank you so much for you comments and kind words. I want you to know that the entire staff kept on bragging about you and your wife. They all though that both of you were such great couple and great people to interact with……I wish you could had seen their faces when I read to them your trip advisor comments. Specially the Chef, Jose, & Luis. Each of them felt very happy and proud for creating such great memories for you and your wife while visiting our beautiful country El Salvador.

Again, thank you for traveling and for choosing us as one of your favorite places to stay while visiting Puerto de La Libertad. We hope to see you soon!

leeds
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We arrived unexpectedly having decided not to stay at one of the substandard hotels at Lago Coatapeque. The hotel is right at the end of the road in San Blas and is a 3 storey building painted in pastel colours and In Art Deco style. It could be in South Beach, Miami and looks somewhat out of place in the sleepy seaside village. We wanted a sea front room and one was available for $70 , (I believe only one of the ten or so rooms doesn’t have a sea view) it was late afternoon so we decided to take it. The hotel and room are stylishly decorated in modern, minimalist style and we were happy with the room. We had only been in for 10 minutes though when we came across two ‘visitors’ in the form of a couple of large cockroaches. I despatched one with a shoe, but the other escaped under the toilet. I went to reception to ask for some spray and asked the owner if they had a cockroach problem. He spoke English and told me they didn’t. However, I then asked another guy in my poor Spanish whether they had many roaches. ‘Si mucho’ was the response so I wasn’t sure if that was in the hotel, San Blas or El Salvador in general! Those were the only ones we encountered though and the hotel seemed very clean. Indeed there were a couple of ladies who seemed to be cleaning non stop throughout the day and night.

The hotel is right on the beach, which is behind a security gate as are all the hotels along the beach. There’s a small pool with bar and restaurant around it. One slightly annoying element was that loud music was played via a speaker system throughout the day.This seemed to be an ipod dock which guests were allowed to commandeer- this explained the selection ranging from 60’s ballads to El Salvadorean gangster rap while we were there. All the hotels in San Blas seem to be behind large fences and gates--there is a fishing village just along the beach and the fences and guards gave a bit of a ‘them and us’ feel which we didn’t get elsewhere in El Salvador. The staff were friendly and helpful , though they adhered to the strange El Salvador rule that says you have a breakfast menu and a lunch menu and once breakfast time is over, its not possible to knock up an ommelette even if the cook is around and there are no other customers!

San Blas is a small resort with a couple of hotels with restaurants- there aren’t really any other independent restaurants you can walk to.The beach is Ok but is dark sand and the waves are too small for surfing.

In summary, Sabas beach club is a good choice if you want a small resort, with a pool and right on the beach and aren’t too concerned with there being a large number of other bar and restaurant choices within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LS13
aalfa467, Owner at SABAS Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Greetings and thank you for your Business and kind feed back. I am very glad to know that you did enjoy your stay, and loved our resort. We, at SABAS Beach Resort pride our self as being the number one choice for all travelers visiting Puerto La Libertad. Our guest service strategy is pure based on providing the highest guest service, accommodation, and quality and food safety standards to all our visitors.

I am very disappointed to know that you encountered a couple of issues during your stay. While one of our challenges of living in a tropical weather country is avoid at any cost the flying insects, that from time to time they come across from any near by sugar or corn fields, it is important to know that the resort has a very aggressive pest elimination program and that this is the first time we ever encounter this type of issue. To stay proactive, I have ordered that each room be completely stripped and serviced to avoid any similar situation such this one. Secondly, I have communicated to the hotel manager to stay consistent with the chosen music, established by the resort.

Again, thank you for your business, and on behalf of the entire staff, we thank you for visiting our beautiful country of El Salvador.

We look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Libertad
#2 of 2 in San Luis Talpa
Barcelo San Salvador
Barcelo San Salvador
#2 of 54 in San Salvador

Been to SABAS Beach Resort? Share your experiences!