“Still Smiling” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 21 La Libertad B&B and Inns
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Still Smiling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had an opportunity to visit MPR in late January and could not have had a better time. George and his family are so verry accomodating: which gave the resort more of a B&B feel. The surf was terrific and gave a wide varielty of beach, rock reef, and point break all within a short stretch of beach right in front of MPR (I didn't get into a car the whole time). When I arrived back home I told my wife we would be heading down sooner than later.

Room Tip: I stayed in Bungalow #2 and it looked strainght out to the point and across the river mouth was the...
1 Thank David B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Well... this place is EPIC!

Second time staying at MPR in the last 6 months! There is not many other place that offer all that MPR has... Good Waves (3 to choose from withing walking distance of MPR) Insane Food (you name it they cook it.. and GOOD too!!) Coldest Beer in Town (we tried em everywhere and MPR has em the coldest!)

If you are looking for a GOOD AFFORDABLE and SAFE TRIP... Call George @ MPR and BOOK NOW!

You can thank me later!

Room Tip: Get one that can see BOTH the point and the beach break, that way you can check all 3 breaks from yo...
1 Thank Bill M
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed at Mizata Point in December 2013 and it was great. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and the food is excellent-we had prawns one night and they were the best I've ever had! I am not a surfer but I loved just hanging out and listening to the waves--it never got boring. Something I haven't read in the other reviews is about the showers. I wish I had one like this at home! It was huge and the floor was made of small, rounded rocks that massaged your feet as you showered. And even better--the water got hot and the water pressure was great (something that's fairly uncommon in Central American hotels). One morning George took us down the road and we participated in a sea turtle release, something I've wanted to do for a long time--what a great experience.

Room Tip: All rooms face the water.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annette010160
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Recently returned from a 9 day stay at Mizata Point Resort over new years. Traveled with my girlfriend and 2 of her friends.

George was extremely helpful from the beginning, organized all the details starting from the airport pickup by his driver Walter, who was waiting for us at the airport as soon as we landed. Mizata Point Resort is about an hour or so from San Salvador, we arrived around 9pm and Walter even hooked us up and brought us to a surfboard rental place on the way.

We arrived at night and went to sleep immediately. In the morning we got up and checked out the property and met George. The resort itself is great, rooms are very clean and basic there is TV with HBO and other channels but you don't come to El Salvador to stay in the rooms! There is a nice pool, and Hammocks in the room decks as well as around the resort which are fun to chill and read or take a snooze in.

George is incredibly friendly and helpful, anything you need just ask. Great cook, we had all our meals provided, and George can accommodate any special requests. I myself am Gluten Free (so is George) and my Girlfriend is Vegan, not the easiest task but George was great in accommodating the meals to our requests. There is Coffee every morning at 7AM and Breakfast starts at 730AM (I liked to get in a Pre breakfast surf session in before bfast). George would come to us everyday and let us know the specials for dinner, if he has fresh fish, be sure to try it! Try Georges burger and fish tacos. all the food is great!

The Surf:
We went down during New Years week, winter is the small season in El Salvador, but we had consistent 4ft waves for 9 days straight which were great for the other members of our group. It can get very big and powerful at Mizata, so know that going into it if you are a novice surfer.

There are Spots to surf, the Point, The Beach, and In Between. The Point and In between are very rocky, but when they are working, they are the most fun and you get a really nice ride. Other times you can check our the numerous beach breaks that are just a short walk down. the beach is nice and sandy with no rocks.

For the most part you have the break completely to yourself. the crowded it will ever get is about 6 people in the water, that's it! usually good vibes between the resorter's and the few locals around.

Bottom Line, if you looking for a great place to surf, good food and a great host. Go stay at MPR with george!

1 Thank Kfir A
Silverdale, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have stayed at Mizata four times now and have found every aspect of it to be excellent. Especially the food and cleanliness. I am puzzled by the negative comments given. I have about 20 days at the resort over the last two years during various seasons and recently brought my wife down with me for Thanksgiving with my son and his wife. The best Thanksgiving ever. George and Wendy put on a great dinner for all us. The poor comment must have been for the other resort up the road commonly mixed up with Mizata Point Resort. An excellent place to stay with excellent hosts.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gary D
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights at the Mizata Point resort the week before Christmas. It's located about 50 minutes west of La Libertad on a fairly secluded stretch of black sand beach. At this time of the year, since the beach faces South, you can enjoy both sunrise and sunset over the ocean. Although we don't surf, we found Mizata Point to be a very relaxing getaway. With only 7 or so rooms, all ocean facing, it's pretty calm. George, his wife, cats and dog, took very good care of us and offered all the help and suggestions we needed for daytrips and to make the most of our week-long stay. We even went to watch a turtle release one day. The grounds are very pretty and the little pool has a nice ocean view. But, perhaps the best feature was the wonderful meals that he cooked up for us every day. Be sure and take advantage of his meal plan. The fish is fresh and quite delicious but my favorite was his special hamburger. I know, hamburger, right? But these were probably the best hamburgers I've ever had in my life. Really! The cabanas all are air conditioned with a nice deck out front, facing the ocean, and each with your own hammock. The rooms are a bit spartan and could use a picture or two on the walls, and perhaps an armoire, but really that doesn't detract from the overall experience. About the only negative I can come up with is regarding the very slow internet there. Well, if you're looking for a nice relaxing beach vacation, you shouldn't be using the internet anyway. Unfortunately I needed to access it a bit for my job and it just didn't quite work out for me. That one little think aside, we would highly recommend Mizata Point Resort for anyone wanting to get away from it all in a really nice location. Oh, rocky beach access. Bring sandals or beach shoes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BruceSpates
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week - I had to do a little persuading to get her to go to El Salvador, but in the end I think she enjoyed it as much as I did, if not more (and she doesn't surf).

There's not much to say that hasn't already been said on here - most of the reviews are spot on. The seafood is really good - we liked the prawns and the snook the best, but you can't really go wrong with anything. I went with the pancakes, coffee and a smoothie every morning.

When we were there the waves were mostly funky S windswell, but there were still a few that seemed to hit the point right. Definitely has potential to be really good on a clean swell.

Outside of surfing, we really enjoyed riding ATVs with the Moto Tour (http://www.mototourelsalvador.com) up through Comasagua to a coffee farm/restaurant (Restaurante y Finca Santa Elena) - it's essentially a full day trip, but a great way to see the countryside, and between Bill (tour guide) and Filadelfo (the guy who runs the coffee farm) you can learn a fair amount about El Salvador. Even though we've already done it, we'd probably do the tour again. Releasing the turtles was also cool, but I think that might only be a seasonal option. We also went up to Concepcion de Ataco - it was a bit slow on a weekday, so if you want it bustling, you'll want to go on a weekend.

Mizata is relatively out of the way (probably 30 minutes or so from Tunco), so don't expect much nightlife or dining options. There are a couple of Pupuserias. The locals all seemed to be pretty friendly. Good flip-flops are a commodity.

George, Wendy and the girls, Walter (driver) and the rest of the staff are all awesome. Walter is a goofy-foot and can probably turn you on to some good lefts if you get tired of right points. The people are one of the things about El Salvador that we miss the most. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Casa de Mar
Casa de Mar
#1 of 1 in El Sunzal
Royal Decameron Salinitas

Been to Mizata Point Resort? Share your experiences!