Hotel Tekuani Kal
Excellent 5/5
Casa de Mar(El Sunzal)
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
SABAS Beach Resort(La Libertad)
Great 4.5/5
Esencia Nativa(El Zonte)
  • Beachfront
Beverly Hills Hotel & Suites(Antiguo Cuscatlan)
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Merliot(San Salvador)
All reviewsel tuncohammockschilloceanbalconiescockroachesspot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Good Points
Friendly staff and good service, small infinity pool with great views out to sea, all rooms have sea view and small terrace,Free WiFI, only a few minutes walk up to the bars and restaurants of El Tunco, relaxed atmosphere.
Bad Points
Carpet in Rooms, No hot water and a strange arrangement of an overhead tap for the shower, no comfortable lounging chairs in rooms, by the pool or in the restaurant. No fridge in the rooms, Menu prices significantly more expensive than similar offerings along the beach.

Maybe I have been spoiled by living in SE Asia for too long? - I liked the hotel and the staff are its biggest asset as they are all charming and helpful. But I thought it was too expensive for what they were offering US$85+ is not cheap in my books and for that I at least expect hot water and a decent shower in a bathroom. If nothing else get rid of the brown carpet in the rooms and replace with tiles or painted concrete - it really was unpleasant to have carpet in a room in a beach front hotel - you just no it cant be properly cleaned..

This is my first experience of hotels in El Salvador so maybe after samplping a few more over the coming weeks I may come to realise that infact this hotel is good value in the local context, but at the moment i think it is a great location, relaxing atmosphere but a little expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2009

The hotel is indeed pretty with funky decorations. But the luke warm shower with one hole for the water, the fire ants inside the room and the A/C so high on the wall that you need a stool to turn it on and off would get it the thumbs down. The desserts and staff were awesome but very little English spoken.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2009

My surfer husband and I stumbled upon Tekuani Kal during a family visit to El Salvador. As a travel writer and fairly seasoned traveler, it's always a pleasure to find places as memorable as Tekuani Kal. Please read my article about our stay: http://www.tangodiva.com/index.php?page=network&story_rev_id=903

Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allikins
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Hotel Tekuani Kal exceeded our expectations. Ok so the showers are lukewarm and there's no fridge in the room - but the hotel prides itself on its location, cleaniless and attentive staff. You cannot beat being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves, the freshly cooked tipico breakfast, the endless view of the beach and idyllic and tranquil setting away from 'downtown' el tunco. Having initially only booked 3 nights we extended our stay to 9 to indulge in the sheer relaxation the hotel allows. The small pool is personal (if you get to the 2 sunbeds first!), and all of the staff are friendly and helpful - although very few speak English. I would recommend Tekuani Kal if you want to get away from it all, it was probably one of our most chilled holidays ever.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rawrachel
Reviewed June 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Tekuani Kal for a night, and we found it a very nice "boutique" hotel on Playa el Tunco. There are only six rooms, but they all have views of the beach and are comfortably, if simply, appointed. One minor caveat is that none of the rooms had hot water when I went, which was not a problem for us given that we had just returned from a day in the sun.

Most of our fellow guests were from outside of El Salvador when I visited, and the hotel aims for this international crowd.

For instance, the hotel restaurant is quite sophisticated. We had Salvadoran-style ceviche, mahi-mahi with mustard and dill sauce, and shrimp "al ajillo." All were delicious. They served shrimp six different ways, including "al ajillo," cajun style, curried, thai style, and 2 other ways that I can't recall. Expect to pay around $25 per person for a shared appetizer, a generous main course and a beer.

The hotel also boasts of an "infinity pool" overlooking the ocean from around 40 feet (12 meters) up. This pool is small (only around 5 people could lounge in it without awkwardness), but lounging in it after swimming in the ocean was just about the most relaxing thing I can imagine.

There are around 10 other small hotels/hostels at Playa El Tunco, most of which have very decent restaurants focusing on seafood. There are even more places in adjacent Playa El Sunzal. We tried the seafood chowder at another restaurant down the beach, and also found it fresh and excellent.

Most of the other hotels seemed to have a more bohemian quality to them, as this particular stretch of beach is known for its surfing. You can rent a surfboard for $10/day from one of several shops within walking distance, and you can hire an instructor for $10 an hour. Many people also body surf or rent boogie boards.

The other two nice things to mention about Tekuani Kal are its proximity to San Salvador airport (around 30-40 minutes) and its reasonable prices ($70/day for a couple during low season). Sure, it's more than a backpacker or hostel-rat would want to pay, but the accommodations are that much better. I would recommend Tekuani Kal to nearly anyone traveling to El Salvador.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple