“Absolutely Amazing!”

Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waya Lailai
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went to Waya Lai Lai on a Humanitarian service trip. This resort was our layover between LAX and Nukualofa, Tonga. While our service project was in Tonga, we were allowed 3 days at Waya Lai Lai to play and relax.
When we showed up to the island, the resort staff was there singing for us as we stepped onto the beach. It was such a rush of energy to see the gorgeous views of the island with the music. Our experience just got better from there.
We slept in the 3 bed dorms, which were very comfortable, but not luxurious. But we never had an issue with the beds, and while the bathroom was small and the shower cold, who needs a shower when you have the warm ocean next to you?
Our hike up the mountain was hot and humid, but the view at the top was incredible! It was so worth it to climb to the top, and we all climbed back down the mountain with a smile on our faces.
The next day we went out to snorkel with the sharks. This was an incredible experience that I was so glad I got to do! While it was a bit terrifying at first, the sharks were never threatening, and we all got to touch and rub the sharks.
The views and scenery of this island are unlike any other. The beach has hammocks that you can lay in and enjoy the coastal breeze. The sand was soft and fun to play in. Waya Lai Lai was worlds better than Nadi. We all enjoyed it very much and want to go back!
The staff was very friendly. The food wasn't the greatest, but it filled us up. No one in the resort got sick while we were there.
Overall, I loved our experience at Waya Lai Lai and I am looking forward to taking more of my family and friends someday!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hyram Y

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The beach is facing the open sea which means it is windy, we actually had to leave the beach because we got too cold. The rooms were ok but the bathroom facilities were not brilliant. One day we were essentially forced to go to the other side of the island on a boat to get the lunch we had already paid for, only to be stuck there all afternoon with no way of getting back! The food there is the best bit (LUSH dinner buffet) but other than that I wouldn't return to this island.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank IPreferTopBunk
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Waya Lai Lai at the moment is in a bad way due Im sure to the recent cyclone,I use to travel out there every year for scuba diving and knowing about the cyclone asked at the time of booking are they still diving on Waya Lai Lai and got a firm yes they are,wrong out I go for 4 nights 5 days with all my gear and the dive shop is empty no diving,a lot of the buildings are damaged roofs gone and the staff more interested in themselves than the guests we even had to make our own entertainment that night.I arranged to dive with another resort at extra cost and was told to be on the beach at 7.30 to be taken there by Waya Lai Lai resorts boat,there I am on the beach and guess what nothing I had to go and find out for myself that there was no boat to take me.What food we had was cold with plenty of flys hanging around,I arranged to go back after only one night.I contacted the Customer services officer to see if I could get back the three nights accommodation I didnt use so I could go back out again and all I got for my trouble was that I was at fault for leaving.I would not recommend this resort until they get there act together and the staff who you book through are better informed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Graham P
Reviewed June 20, 2013

some people may say that this islnd is very spectacular, others may say that the hospitality is great.... some people will like the food and the beautiful bures ..... all of theses people are right !!!
but for me this place is amazing because of the local people. they are sweet, kind, funny , warm hearted ,smiling happy people.
i have been traveling around the world for many years and the best thing that happened to me in my life is discovering wayalailai.
i have been coming to wayalailai for many years just because I MISS THEM SO SO MUCH.
this place is not privately owned. it belongs to al the islanders. when you pay there, you help the community to improve their living conditions. most of the profit is invested in the school.
go there and you wull experience the real fiji....the best country in the world , the best people in the world !!!
how to get there? sure, the yeloow bat goes there but they overcharge.it is better for you t go there with the resort boat or any other local boat from the warf in lautoka. call them to arrange yuor tranfer to the island. (679)6030215 or (679)9363744 or (679)9323446 or look their website www.wayalailairesort.com

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eli v
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

This island I think was the most adventurous activities we did... The sunset hike is amazing- was intense but awesome and so worth it. Be prepared for a hike because they don't actually tell you how intense it is... We rocked up in thongs and one of us even wore a dress thinking it was a little walk- there are rocks you have to scale, grass you have to swim through and mountains you have to slide down in the dark- bring a good torch with you! Overall was an amazing view! We also snorkelled with sharks the staff were awesome with us- let us feed them and even pat them- I was too scared but still amazing! Also did a performance for us which was a bit of fun. Lots of kava!!

The dorm was pretty gross- the top bunks didn't have nets on them and was covered in bugs- I asked for one and they put them up right away so was a plus. Showers have no pressure though.. Not the worst but not the best.

Awesome hammocks everywhere but not a very nice beach at all.

Volleyball was fun with the locals- they are amazing! Be prepared to be laughed at!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Drossi01
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Family friendly, very relaxed fantastic holiday. We arrived from one of the 5 star resorts to be greeted with a traditional warm hearted welcome in a true Fijian style and enjoyed this resort more than any others we stayed at in our two weeks in FIJI. Although it is not 5 star accommodation, the staff are 10 star. The rooms were clean and the bed fine but ask for a mozzie net if you are susceptible to bites. The food was good and the staff always found extra fruit for my four year old if she was hungry outside of meal times. We LOVED the Church service and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. The staff do have activities like walking to the top of the mountain, singing and dancing, a visit to the school which we really enjoyed and the bar is open from the afternoon for a much loved cold beer!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for beach front if you can. The view is pure heaven.All rooms are pretty quiet as the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Polly C
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was the first stop for me on my trip through the Yasawa's. Arrived in perfect weather and had 2-3 swims in a fantastic spot a very short walk down the hill from the resort. Unfortunately it was all a bit downhill from there. Was unfortunately in having poor weather the following day, i.e. torrential rain all night which was a little beyond the weather-proofness of the dorm. Bearable though, and there was enough empty hammocks to sit there with the ipod and enjoy the views that I have no complaints.

Unfortunately that evening whatever it was that was served for dinner caused everyone to be quite sick a couple of days later, and in some cases this lasted for over a week - very unpleasant, and although I'm sure it wasn't intentional, I believe it was most likely avoidable.

On the last day I wished to go snorkelling with the sharks which wasn't available the previous day due to the weather. After being reassured by 4-5 different staff members that we'd be back in time for the ferry we set out. The gear provided was good, however sure enough we saw the boat come past and had to come flying back to catch up with it, and after a mix up with the bags (including 2 of us nearly having out jandals left behind), and a half hour delay for everyone on the boat while they sorted it (including the captain blaming us) we finally go under way.

The place has huge potential, it is in a high spot, and with a little bit of elbow grease would be a fantastic facility, it just feels like its hugely lacking in organisation, and left a bitter taste for what should have been a really fantastic spot. The cavalier attitude of some of the staff towards safety whilst driving the boats was a touch worrying too.

i would still recommend it as a spot to visit, but take extra care with the food, and be responsible for your own activities!

Room Tip: The dorm was more than adequate for me as a solo traveller
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Navutu Stars Fiji Hotel & Resort
Nanuya Island Resort
Nanuya Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nanuya Lailai Island

Been to Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort? Share your experiences!