“Waya Lai Lai - three days too long”

Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waya Lailai
London
“Waya Lai Lai - three days too long”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

i ended up at Waya Lai Lai as i couldn't book any nights at Octopus Resort (the Bula Pass is a bit of a nightmare on this front, but thats another issue). I picked Waya as i was told it was one of the better budget resorts on the islands, but in general i wasn't overly impressed. To be honest, i had ome from Blue Lagoon which had pretty high standards, and i was expecting to rough it, but three days here was far too long for me for numerous reasons.

the location of the resort is prety amazing, and the area is stunning to look at. check in was easy, and the main staff were very friendly, but from here on in i just got more and more disapointed.
My room (i had a lodge room) was pretty tatty and basic. But the fact that the dorms had been emptied out for bedbugs on my arrival meant i didn't sleep inside the bed. On the three nights/fours days i was here, the dorms were emptied every day, and this made me very paranoid!
As i said the staff were all great, but there was an over presence of villiagers throughout the week who did nothing but hang around. I guess you can't complain when you go on village trips to see where they live, but they made me feel a little uncomfortable. they spoke constantly in Fijian and it felt a bit random as to why they were there. One day i tried to wtch the rugby in the bar and one old dude constantly hugged me - at one point he had me in a bear hug for over 10 minutes. I don't mind hugging, but this was just weird!
the food i guess is the best they can do, but the portions were small and not varied. Picky eaters will have problems here!
on our last day, there was problems with the yasawa flyer, but noone told us. Everyone was very vague, especially when the guys started taking the outboard motors apart on the boats when we were meant to be leaving. Noone was informed what was going on, and you ended up just hanging around for ages.
Luckily i'd made some good friends here, so the company was great and we had a good laugh. But three nights was far too long. If i'd have known i'd have only done 1 night and gone somewhere else. the worst thing was on the last day finding bedbugs on the floor of my room. I checked my bag and couldn't find anything, and i hadn't been bitten so was lucky. But that was it for me.

i'm sure there are better places to stay around this area of islands. i just found it too basic and rough around the edges for me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank tonymunch

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2011

One of three places we stayed at - all I've given the same rating for different reasons. Waya was excellent because of the staff - the room was basic but insect free and the food was good value. Staff were super friendly - we did the island trek with a legend called Sau (once to the top - stunning and once to the other side of the island to see the sand bank connecting the 2 parts - hot but awesome to see the village). I would definitely go back. A

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adougal
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We spent two nights here as part of a 5-day trip in the Yasawas. Overall, it was a pretty good stay and was just the right amount of time to spend on the island.

The scenery on the island is spectacular and it is an idyllic location. We stayed in one of the bures, which was very sweet. Anyone who is expecting 5-star accommodation will be disappointed as the resort is basic but more than adequate. There is running water (no hot water) and this is potable. However, I would advise caution in drinking too much of the water if you have just arrived in Fiji as I, as well as a number of people to whom we spoke, experienced some mild stomach problems.

The food was pleasant enough but the limited serve sizes will not appeal to a lot of people. This is not a place for picky eaters but if you like variety then you will find the food satisfactory. Over the course of our stay there was an effort to offer a range of meats, vegetables and fruits - rice was generally the staple.

Arriving on a Sunday, there were no activities running but we made the most on our only full day on the island on Monday. These were very enjoyable and well-run. The reef snorkelling with the sharks was a great experience, the mountain climb was incredible (with the view at the end!) and the village trip was interesting.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. As well as the resort, there are three villages on the island and everyone who works here lives in one of those. It feels like a community and many made the effort to get to know us.

Overall, I would recommend a stay on Wayalailai as part of a trip to the Yasawas as long as you are not expecting luxury - we really enjoyed our time here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had a couple of criteria when we looked for a nice place to stay in the Yasawas:
- beautiful beach (that's probably most of them)
- not a notorious party island
- activities apart from lying on the beach (at least a little bit)
- not high budget rooms
There are so many comments on the web that you can naver be sure about what you'll find. We were very satisfied, the people were extremely nice (except the receptionist for whom it seemed to be too much to fulfill any wishes apart from the catalog - or to smile), there were indeed lots of activities and also the food, which was included in the price, was very nice and plenty.
The possible activities are:
- rugby and volleyball
- kayaking
- different snorkeling trips, including shark feeding (white tips)
- diving
- fishing and having the fish for dinner
- Kava and dancing
- hiking up the mountain
- village visits
- handicraft making
They also have an exchange library, where you can leave your book and get another for 2 FJD (I didn't bring one, so I could just get a book for these three days and return it)

Unfortunately, it was raining half of the time. I have to say that there is nothing you can do in rain. That's the same on all islands, so make sure you bring a book. Wayalailai also has board games.

It is the perfect place to hang out, relax and leave the world behind. The staff are people from the 4 ommunities on the island, the communities also own the resort. They are fun to hang out with (as most Fijians).

Rooms were not cleaned during stay. Not bad, but it felt like living in a tent, because sand was all over. However, the huts are very pretty and comfortable. The bed was a bit small, maybe 1.4 m in width.

Electricity is only on at certain hours.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjocht
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Beautiful island, but better spend your days in Big Waya.
Here the accommodation was not nice. We were accommodated in The lodge, just by the laundry. Didn´t smell clean at all. Bad odors from a septic tank at the back of the building. Old bathroom. No good food. Expensive drinks and munchies. At least you have a large array of activities offered.
The locals are laughing all the time. Who knows why.
Lots of kava drinking (them).

Room Tip: Avoid being accommodated at The lodge. Ask for a bure.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Waya Lailai hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Could not praise this place enough. I emailed the resort to inform them it was my partners birthday when we arrived and if they could arrange a few bits.
They welcomed us immediately and took us straight to our beach front bure, which they had upgraded us to. They had written Happy Birthday on the bed in petals and sang Happy Birthday to my partner. Later in the evening we went to dinner and they had reserved a table for us, the rest of the dining was communal. They then served us first before the rest of the guest, traditionally Fijian. After dinner they performed a Happy Birthday and walked in holding a large birthday cake and complimentary cocktails and then invited my partner up for a few dances. The staff were more then happy to put themselves out for my partner and treated him like a king for our entire stay. Special thanks to Mary for being warm and accommodating.
The accommodation is traditionally Fijian and is clean and great value, food portions were more then sustainable and drinks were the most affordable of the Yassawas.
This is the place to visit if you want to experience the real Fijian Island lifestyle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Having island hopped a number of the island this was dissappointing.

There was no key for our room which was annoying from a security point of view but the staff didn't seem to think this would be a problem.

One of the few en suite room we stayed in in Fiji and defintiely the largest room. Cold showers (as expected) and fan and nice patio area overlooking the beach.

The food can only be described as poor with dirty table clothes. 7 o’clock for tea means 7 o’clock or it is plated up and has gone cold by the time you get there which is a bit strange. The restaurant did have a nice patio area for sunset.

Decent for price, better than Kuata (over the water). . Beware they charge a 6% fee if paying by credit card.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,234 reviews
Barefoot Kuata Island
Barefoot Kuata Island
#1 of 1 in Kuata Island

Been to Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort? Share your experiences!