“Incredible”

Relais L'Antico Convento
San Francisco
“Incredible”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We just returned from our stay at the Convento Mincione, a beautifully restored convent on top of a hill in rural Umbria. The apartment was huge, with two private bedrooms and baths, and a large living room and open kitchen. From the window, we could see the moon rise over the Umbrian hills. Joan is a friendly, knowledgeable, helpful hostess. She recommended a terrific restaurant--La Cantina di Nunzio--where we ate fettuccine with duck sauce and scottoditto cooked over a wood fire. We had seen pictures of the convent on her website, but we weren't prepared for how truly beautiful it is. We definitely plan a return visit and we'll recommend it to friends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frankbrit

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
kluisbergen
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Beautiful apartments in the most beautiful and peaceful surroundings. I cannot recommend them too highly. Each room has all modern comforts, but the renovation is extremely tasteful and fully in keeping with this ancient and characterful property. Each room has its own personality and its own antiques. The location is splendid - on the top of a hill amongst other wooded hills, standing on its own, but convenient at the same time for getting around Umbria. The highlight? Sitting out in the evening looking out over all the surrounding hills as the fireflies start to come out and dance around. We had two young children (6 months and 21 months) and they loved it, especially the beautiful pool with its own panoramic views over the countryside. The proprietor, Joan, is on hand to help with all queries, and she really helped make our stay truly special.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
northern ireland
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I have holidayed in Italy with my family more than 20 times in various locations in hotel and agriturismo accommodation; Il Convento Mincione is as good as it gets.

This ancient property has been beautifully restored and is full of character and the accommodation is of a superb quality. The charming American owner and & her daughter are on hand for advice and tips but maintain a discrete profile.

We stayed in the 2-bathroom 1+ bedroom 'honeymoon suite' (on two floors) which was spacious and packed with charm: beautiful beams, stone fireplace, oriental rugs, good lighting, well appointed bathrooms. and it had a very large private balcony with barbque and wonderful views.

The pool is a good size with secure fencing to protect your kids and there is a separate hot tub. My 12 year-old loved the 'animal' pen...rabbits/quail/various other small animal which kids are encouraged to handle & feed.

A unique property and a wonderful, relaxing location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I was in the middle of an extended vaca and knowing Rome was gonna be a marathon, I needed this place to ground me.
August in Umbertide was full of festivals, mostly live classical concerts, or dance- Rufus Wainwright performed! There are several towns close by that host them, including a Jazz Fest in Perugia-AWESOME romantic city.
The convent itself sits atop a mountainside away from all mayhem. Where to you go to be invisible (but there were 2 Actors, we recognized, clearly hiding out or hiding their relationship;-) I could see why- you really get away & find solitude.
Yes there is a pool & patio ares where other guests mingle, and the owner Joan is a VAST resource for art culture and hot spots in the season, but i loved that my room had no computers, no TV. There was a BYOB BBQ on the first day that was fun. Everyone cooks for themselves- BUT ask about the chefs cooking lesson- ESSENTIAL to treat & impress yourself! PS Bring a car so you can get around to the other cities

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Perfeto! Rooms with a view. Great location to tour both Umbria and southern Tuscany. The restaurant just up the road has stunning sunsets and great value home cooking, not forgetting "claire de Luna " restaurant in montone. The convent has a real rustic charm and nothing is too much trouble for either joan or ronie. A big thanks to jacky also for the quails eggs "fantastico!!" and his excellent bbqing prowess!!
Not forgetting luiggi!! We miss you already
grazie a tuti

• Stayed August 2010
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at Il Convento Mincione for three-nights, and it really was one of the best weekends in my life. My husband and I have stayed in lovely hotels world-wide (we are with the US Foreign Service and have lived overseas for twenty years). Il Convento Mincione is a lovingly transformed 12th century former convent into a complex of luxury holiday apartments each one unique in design. Joan is the enthusiastic innkeeper and owner from New York City. Her personal story and how she took on this challenge is worth the visit.
Joan has made a showcase of her Il Convent, transforming this ancient ruin into an architectural gem and a work of art. She has used elements old and new to both reflect its history while creating a comfortable retreat with its Umbrian roots. Each unit is a comfortable apartment; ours was one bedroom with a very large living room and dining area, lovely bath, and fully-equipped kitchen.
What I loved most of all were the incredible views and the perfect quiet. Il Convento Mincione is located on a mountain; it is surrounded by a ring of mountains a bit higher, and farther off are other mountains even higher. The center of the plaza at the rear of Il Convento gives you the feeling you are at the center of this ring of mountains. On the highest mountain to the east there was once an Etruscan temple. We have never enjoyed a resort blessed by 360 degrees of breathtaking views. From the windows of our apartment we enjoyed 180 of them.
I don't ever remember being in a place so quiet. The only sounds are of nature--the wind in the leaves of the trees, birdsong, the droning of insects. The pool is beautiful and spotlessly clean (as is the entire place), and the hot tub in the evenings was heavenly. We ate "al fresco" at two local, near-by restaurants (one twice in a row, it was so good!) and both were fabulous, and very, very reasonably priced. During our stay, we visited Assisi--there are beautiful hilltop towns in the vicinity. The next day, however, we just could not bring ourselves to leave Il Convento Mincione, so we stayed close by the pool or reading under a large tree on the property.
If you are looking for a place to re-charge your batteries (but with plenty of sights to visit if you want to get up and go), you just could not do better. Joan provides an extensive list of places to visit and things to do--if you are so inclined.
Thanks to Joan, her daughter, Roni, and their dog Luigi (who I tried to "dog-nap," but was unsuccessful!) we had a perfect stay. We will return again and again--soon!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I spent about a week at Il Convento Mincione and it was a week I will always remember. My apartment was so charming and beautifully decorated. The views of the mountains were incredible and I felt totally at peace whether it was relaxing by the pool or having a coffee on the piazza. I also loved that each apartment feels like home with a kitchen and that I could go to the local market to buy ingredients to prepare a meal. The hosts, Joan and Roney were so warm and helpful. They gave me many great suggestions of activities to do and sites to see based on my interests. After that week, I felt refreshed and alive and I can't wait to go back again soon!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo