“Don't Miss This!”

Melaka Butterfly and Reptile Sanctuary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am from Melaka and I never fail to visit this butterfly park at least once a year, or when relatives and friends from outstation come. In the past, we’d visit Mini Malaysia, the Zoo, the Hutan Rekreasi etc. But my children loved this place the most and we’d normally spend a good two hours or more here! (I don’t mind because there are a lot of resting places around this park).

I’d say, the entrance doesn’t look too appealing but once inside, I can practically see my children’s faces light up. (even though we’ve been here many times). The love birds here are very cute and they seem to greet us with loud welcoming chirps all the time. I’ve also noticed that there have been a lot of changes to this place. For a start, there are a good variety of lizards at the front. We especially loved the beardy dragons and the really big iguanas.

My children loved the butterflies here. They will flutter very near us and even land on us occasionally. Sometimes, we’ll just sit in the enclosure for some thirty minutes just to see the butterflies fly around. During our last visit here (December 2012), we found that the management has built a new butterfly aviary. Now, there are two aviaries and if I’m not mistaken, I think they each exhibit different butterflies. Very nicely done with lots of flowers around.

My favourite thing to do here is feeding the colourful fishes in the pond. They sell fish food at the souvenir shop and we never fail to buy 10 packets every time! Then, we’ll have a really enjoyable time feeding the fishes, especially when they swim towards us.

We also enjoy the new crocodile area. Very spacious and natural too. I especially like the black alligators. The new snake section however, is only partly ready. I think they will be changing the whole snake section because the old place looked really run down. But we still get to see the really big snakes.

On the overall, I would highly recommend this place to families, especially those with children (even couples). And if you're not in a hurry, just let the children enjoy the overall layout of the place and let them spot the different types of butterflies they have and see how beautiful they really are...

1  Thank my-melaka
All reviews
"koi pond"
in 3 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"life cycle"
"animals seem"
"reptiles"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a nice time here and took lots of pictures but really compared with for instance the Butterfly Park at Phuket it's typically Malaysian, badly maintained with crappy refreshment options. The Thais have the Malaysians beaten all ways up when it comes to this type of place.

1  Thank acerockolla
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Very beautiful place to visit for family with kids. It is worth visiting with very nice landscape. Other than beautiful flying butterflies, reptiles collections are stunning.

3  Thank Twister5511
Reviewed December 18, 2012

For a park dedicated to Butterfly, I must say they lack species of butterfly although there were huge number of Butterflies flying around in the enclosure. Its nice for close encounters but not really exciting to me. Singapore Zoo and Butterfly park at Sentosa did a much much better job with the Butterfly enclosure compared to here.

Very unhappy with the requirement to pay RM$3 just to bring in a camera. This must be the first place in my life to pay a small token sum for bring in camera. My advise to visitor is to declare that you did not bring any camera as the staff in the park do not bother checking if you have a camera tag with you. Ridiculous requirements.

Love birds that welcome us at the entrance were interesting sight. Pretty cute and photogenic.. Nice exhibit of Monitor lizards. The Black Panther is no where to be fine, maybe its been send off to the Melaka Zoo nearby and is already dead due to the very poor enclosure it use to live in.

If you have ample time to spend in Melaka and like to have close encounters with Butterflies, you could take a cab and spend about an hour or two here. Else give this place a miss.

2  Thank cybourg
See more reviews
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I love the colorful butterflies but can't help feel bad looking at that tiny, run down enclosure for a sad looking Panther behind the glass.. The Sanctuary in general get me down...I understand they do a lot of good like species protection, helping raise endangered species and house animals that would probably otherwise be disposed of.

Still, something about watching a majestic animal like a Panther sitting in a tiny enclosure having tourists snap pics of him/her is just so sad and unnatural.

Why is this Panther, a wild creature, in a cage by herself? I'm not a PETA freak, and I have no problem with zoos/sanctuaries if they are nice and well kept, but this does not look to be the case.

I guess it's all about money!

1  Thank Airinna A