“Great stay!!!”

The Rose & Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bainbridge
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Things have changed for the better! New chef and manager mean very good food and excellent service. Very friendly and helpful staff, rooms are adequate for the price you pay. Location is superb for exploring/walking the dales. Must visit Hawes, Leyburn, Askrigg, Aysgarth etc. Breakfast is very full and there are alternatives with complimentary cereal, juice etc. Hope to return next year!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2010

After reading some of the comments previously left it was with a little apprehension as we entered the pub/hotel. We had 2 children and a dog with us and wanted to enjoy our brief stay as much as possible. The fact that well behaved dogs are welcome made us choose this as an ideal base for the beautiful walks in Wensleydale.

The Room (#7) - spacious and very clean, easily fit 3 beds including a 4 poster with bags of space to spare. Lovely views over the village green and to the scenery beyond, crisp sheets and very comfortable matresses made for a decent night sleep, though traffic noise from the lane outside starts early but was not a major problem as we wanted to be up and out early anyway.

The Bar - Decent selection of real ales and a well stocked bar, not too pricey either.

Food - Didn't eat here as already had something pre arranged; there are several excellent pub food places within 20 minutes drive in Aysgarth, Thoralby and Wensley. Having said that the restaurant was busy at dinner and all meals I saw looked fine and didn't hear anyone complaining. I would recommend getting down to Breakfast as early as possible. But overall a satisfactory mixed grill, the now infamous orange squash was not real juice as previously reported!

Service - now here's the real clincher. The staff could not have been friendlier, I think I met the owner in the bar in the evening as well and he was charming. I think previous reviews may be referring to the manager at the time and there have been changes of managers over the months. I genuinely think people can misunderstand the blunt Yorkshire way and very dry humour. There have also been reports of staff being not good at English - didn't encounter this at all.

Maybe we were just very lucky (esp with the room) but I would not hesitate returning to the Rose and Crown.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Having read some negative reviews on this site my wife and I were apprehensive about our stay here, but we did not need to worry. The location is superb and our room in this fantastic old inn was clean and comfortable.

The staff were polite and helpful and the owner tried very hard to make us and our baby comfortable. The food was great value home made cooking and I enjoyed both breakfast and evening meals.

You may not get fresh orange juice with breakfast but this is not a five star hotel, its a cosy, geat value inn and I will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights and don't understand why this Inn has had so many bad reports. The building has so much character , with the beams throughout and many other features including the log burning fire, that shows the age of the property. The room we occupied was cosy and clean . We found the staff friendly and very welcoming especially with our five month old Border Collie (Moss). The food was good and plenty of choice on the menu. The breakfasts certainly set you up for the day. The area is picturesque with plenty to do if you like the outdoors. I don't know what people expect from a 2 star accommodation perhaps a 5* hotel would be better suited.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

I have to agree with most of the other reviews. We have lived in the area for more than 20 years but, tellingly, have never previously visited this pub as no-one has ever recommended or even mentioned it! We ate there last night; the food was cheap, as we had some newspaper vouchers to spend (but otherwise would have been terribly overpriced given the - lack of - quality), but consisted largely of gloopy sauces, oversharp red cabbage and tired salad. The service was unbelievably slow: with only one other couple eating (one of whom sent a duck breast back to the kitchen, as it was stone cold in the middle), from ordering to completing a two-course meal took not much short of two hours! Trying to get bar service was something of a challenge. With so many other good places around (for example, the George and Dragon just a few miles down the road in Aysgarth) where the food, welcome and value are infinitely better, I would not recommend the Rose and Crown to anyone - certainly not to a friend I wished to keep!

1  Thank hmibennett
Reviewed February 19, 2010

After reading other reviews we wondered what what we going to find,but we got a warm welcome and an acceptable room for a 2 star hotel.While the food was plentifull parts of it could have been better cooked.We found the staff very friendly and heplfull.It was mid February and very cold but the Hotel could have been a lot warmer.But all in all a lot better than some of the other reports would have you belive.I might recommend this to a freind but tell them to go with an open mind.

Reviewed December 27, 2009

I have used the Rose and Crown on a number of occasions both to have a meal and to stay. I have read the comments on this site and think they are incorrect.

The Inn/ hotel is 14th century I believe and must be costly and difficult to maintain. I have found the rooms to be clean, spacious and good value. If you want 4 square walls with modern fittings, stay in a Travelodge or Premier Inn.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and comments about their English is unwarranted. The food is plentiful and served hot; the breakfast and Sunday lunch are particularly to be recommended.

Great value - Great location - Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank PJMcQuillan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bainbridge
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale
Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel
New Inn Hotel
New Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham

Been to The Rose & Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!