“Tired, even overtired”

and 1 more site!
The Rose & Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bainbridge
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This place has such potential that it is such a pity it doesn't reach it. Faultless location in this stunning village, beautiful old building ...... but so run down and grubby it hardly bears thinking about. I was only there for a night but it was very entertaining; it practically was live entertainment as the room I was put into was directly above the bar which played loud music, and the sound insulation would do credit to a piece of photocopy paper. This, apparently, is the room they sell last so why they put me in there when only three other rooms of the 10 available were booked I don't know. It was cramped, poorly equipped and grotty, and the shower room was an utter disgrace. They happily moved me - to the room they sell next to last! However, as this was done with a big smile I couldn't be cross. The meal was also well below average but again, served with a big smile by the long-suffering staff. Sure, I was paying for a roof over my head, but that was pretty much all.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else to find a good room - sorry.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cathy R
David C, Owner at The Rose & Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

I belatedly read this review due to medical problem relating to a bad accident which kept me away from the hotel for some considerable time in 2013. I was in hospital when this happened and to the gentleman concerned I send my apologies.
I have checked the records ad established that he was put into a bedroom normally used by staff, namely the head chef who was away on leave.
This room is included in the booking book and was inadvertantly allocated. The couple concerned were immediately moved to Room 5, a four poster bedroom overlooking the village green, a room which people sometimes ring up and specifically ask for.
The music, I am sorry it was so loud. Sunday evening is a social pool evening when the youngsters come in and their music is invariably played. There is a reception bookings rule which states that on certain nights rooms above the bar area should not be used. Sadly this was similarly ignored.
I have taken notice of the comments about the food and a new head chef is in place. My apologies. I shall see it doesn’t happen again.

There are newer reviews for The Rose & Crown Hotel

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We only called in for a drink, so cannot comment on the rooms. However, judging by the standard of cleanliness in the main lounge/ dining area & toilets I would never consider staying here. Which is a great pity as it's in a lovely location in a beautiful setting. Given the age of the place(nearing 600years) you would expect staff to have some knowledge, all our questions were answered with an indifferent "don't know".

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Southcroft66
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Bainbridge as a village is absolutely gorgeous - the typical yorkshire dales village. It has a village green complete with "stocks", an honesty box for parking and the upkeep of the green, a bakery, post office and a rather disappointing village pub. After reading all of the other reviews we decided to nip in after our 9 mile walk on the saturday just for a drink - definately no food! I was surprised when my husband returned with the drinks (I was sat outside looking after our dog) and apologised for taking so long as the barmaid didn't know how to make an orange juice with lemonade. It didctually work in our favour as for a pint she only charged £1, but come on!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blackp00lGirl
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were finishing our weeks cottage holiday in fantastic Bainbridge,it's a shame our last memory of the week was staying local for a meal out on our last night (so nobody had to drive).The bar was busy on arriving which normally is a good sign but going through to the restaurant you get to notice how tired the place is.We were initially greeted by a polite young lady who took or drinks order and told us of the 'specials' (or not so specials) board.We ordered our food which turned out to be very poor considering you were paying £10 - £15 for a main meal & £5 for a pud.The steaks were dry (sitting under heat lamps) and the pasta must have had whole tub of double cream in the sauce which was so rich and sickly,veg out of a tin and button mushrooms that resembled large dried sultanas.To cap it all off the man who served the food to us ( I think was the owner) seemed to think that it was perfectly o.k to butt in and out of our conversations finally ending his performance by placing our son in an 'full nelson ' neck and arm lock.By this time I was looking for the tv camera crew and expecting 'Manuel' to walk in the room.Would I recommend eating here?,I'll leave that to you to decide.
I must say though the Theakstons was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen J
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We went to this pub for a drink. The pub was dirty and scruffy. In the middle of August there were 2 other people in. No one was eating. I half expected to see tumble weed blowing through. The landlord was miserable and unfriendly.
The beer was awful - the pipes had not been cleaned out. My wife's glass was dirty. I had one sip - my wife did not even bother and we walked out. Do I need to go on..........

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkandGillian
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We always used to visit Bainbridge for their annual sports many years ago and always called at the Rose & Crown for a meal and a drink or two. My husband was born and lived at Countersett in his childhood. What a shame to see how it has deteriorated. Yes, it's an old place but it no longer has the charm it once had.

We called for Sunday lunch and four of us (plus 2 little people) looked forward to the Beef Roast. One very shriveled roast potato, one small soggy Yorkshire pudding, mixed frozen peas and carrots. Have to say though that the beef was fine as was the one new potato. To be honest we've eaten better in a Morrisons Cafe at half the price. Service was ok.

The place needs a good clean, starting with the carpets! Such a shame this once charming place has gone down.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked 2 single rooms here for 2 nights. On arrival both rooms were doubles. One at the front was just acceptable - old grubby shower, filthy hose and unsavoury shower head.and mouldy grouting. The double bed was clean and comfortable. There was a small dirty kettle but plenty of tea bags and biscuits. The other bedroom at the side (no.1) with 2 single beds had a funny smell partly masked by wet paint on the door frame! The bathroom carpet showed signs of a spill.The cause of the smell became apparent next morning. The bath mat turned green on the floor before the bath was run. The carpet was saturated and smelly. On request my friend was moved to room no 4 at the front. The shower had the same problems as my room - No 3. The single bed was not made up but the double was comfortable for her. The owner said he knew just what the problem was in room no.1 (a leaking toilet)and needed to find a plumber ( this was a Saturday morning) but had sorted the carpet. We were amazed to see that the room had been let again by that same evening. At no point did the owner appologise for the problem or the inconvenience of moving rooms.
The breakfast was adequate but with a poor choice of cereal and only one juice to drink apart from tea or coffee. The toast was thin and burnt. The one waitress was trying to attend to the front desk as well as serve. She was pleasant but clearly stressed. We did not eat here in the evenings.
On checking out later the waitress was still serving breakfasts. She requested that the manager/owner come to sort our query with the supplement we were expected to pay for the double rooms I had not booked and the inconvenience of moving rooms. He refused to do so on three occasions. We paid the single room rate and negotiated a discount for the room problem with the waitress/receptionist.
This old characterful hotel in a prime position in the village deserves better care and could be an enormous asset to Bainbridge.

Room Tip: I don't know of one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank enid h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bainbridge
Stone House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham
Black Horse Hotel
Black Horse Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grassington

Been to The Rose & Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!