“no good”

Kenya Bay Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I recently stayed at kenya bay and it was just so awful. the swimming pool was smelly and the food was not not that great. the she is awful with the guest. apart from all that I enjoyed the hotels white sand beach which is so beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Kenya Bay Beach Hotel

Reviewed May 24, 2009

Kenya Bay is a three star hotel at Bamburi Beach in Mombasa. The truth is, avoid the beach and stay at the hotel. In a minute you step on the beach, four or five young men become "glued" to you and there's no way you can get rid of them. Forget about the romantic walk and taking pictures. They will harass you until you flee back into the hotel property.

The hotel, located quite far away from the city, and in residential, and relatively safe area, has itself two parts: the one is old and the other is less old. I would say both were built in the 80's and the older hasn't been refurbished since then. You can see what you may expect of rooms when you enter the reception hall - well kept fashionable 70's. The newer part is relatively OK, but the rooms smell with mould if the aircondition is switched off and some of them have paperwalls stained with moisture. Bathrooms are well maintained, the rooms are cleaned every day.

The food is very good, and the service absolutely perfect - staff attentive and wanting to help you. Although first you have to adjust yourself to "pole-pole" policy :-) (no hurry)

Internet available at two stands in the lobby only. Exchange currency office present, with good exchange rate. The pool is clean and a staff at the pool proposes activities, such as water ball or water aerobic. Also, from what I heard, they organise excursions to snorkle at the reef.

What is a total disaster - mob of German pensioners, behaving as kings&queens of the hotel and the whole country. You can hear from them "get away from here" if you put your sunbed too close to them, as if they paid for the whole sunbathing area. The scenes before opening the restaurant for the meals are ridiculous - crowd of elderly people waits till the glass door is open, and then attacks the buffet with the fierce fury, laying on the backs of these lucky, who managed to get to the food first...

I spent there 3 nights before going to safari. I won't be back to Kenya Bay, although the hotel is an OK budget hotel. I will for sure go back to Kenya - wonderful country, fantastic people and breathtaking views. But these pensioners... They are killing this place. And would like to do the same with younger people as well, if opportunity occurs.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Kenya Bay Beach Hotel is perfect in every aspect! It is ideally situated on Bamburi beach, so is not too far from Aquadrome where one can carry out various watersports, as well as go-karting! The staff at Kenya Bay are very friendly and effcient, which definitely helps in making the holiday more relaxing and pleasant. The rooms were beautifully furnished and were very very comfortable. The bathroom was superb! Food was great!! I was spoilt for choice at all meal times. The entainment in the evenings was also something to look forward too.
We had booked our holiday online, and found the whole process fast and easy to use.
I would definitely recommend staying at Kenya Bay!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We're still reeling over the wonderful time we had.....!!

I booked our holiday online and found the whole process very user-friendly. I got my responses promptly and was assured of a great time before my family and I got to the hotel.

We have stayed at the Kenya Bay before and loved it back then but this time we were in for a pleasant shock! Surprise is too mild a word. The rooms were a pleasant surprise! I loved the changes made in the bathrooms because bedrooms in any hotel are generally clean and functional but it's the bathroom I'm finicky about. Lovely touch with the little Lamu chests with the toiletries in them and the BEST thing in the bathroom...? Full size bath sheets! Very rare to find full bath sheets in hotels.

The garden areas looked lovely as well. I liked the area where we'd have our tea in the early evenings and enjoy entertainment later on.

Kids loved the pools and the attendants actually offered to keep an eye out on them while my cousin and I SLEPT under the hot hot sun. Loved the turquoise umbrellas and actually want one for home too! LOL Seriously speaking they were easy on the eyes. I have a thing against tacky beach umbrellas.

One thing I must apologise over (toungue in cheek) is that we didnt go out of the hotel to other restaurants because we loved the food at Kenya Bay. I must commend you on that because your food and menu and quality is fabulous and i can confidently say you rival a very popular 5 star hotel near you in that aspect. That hotel's food actually borders on mass produced gunk and compromises on taste and quality of food.

The buffets in the evenings were well spread out in terms of choice of food. I have noticed that the best way to judge a good buffet is to see what is being offered to the vegetarians. If there is a good variety (obviously not comrpomising on taste either) then you know you have a winner. So congratulate yourself on that. I'm not a vegetarian but your veggie selection was amazingly delicious.

Theme nights for food is not an unknown concept and we really enjoyed the daily choice we were spoilt with. My daughter fell in love with the desserts and the breakfast spread. The breakfast gets a separate mention because that is seriously an entity on its own! You have a brilliant breakfast spread every morning and we ate like pigs!!!

The Frangipani restaurant was also good. My cousin thought the fish from there was out of this world. The food was amazing and even the finicky eater kids that I have enjoyed the food at all times.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I booked for a stay of 8 nights from 26 December 2008 with my wife and six year old daughter. Kenya Bay was a great hotel and a real fine choice to say the least. The staff were incredibly proficient and responsive throughout. Our holiday would have been a nightmare had it not been for the consideration and courtesy of the Kenya Bay Management and Staff. My wife was not well and could not walk without great discomfort and pain. Even getting to the dining hall was an impediment. But the management and staff at the Hotel went out of their way to make her comfortable. They even made available a seafront room right next to the dining hall so that my wife would have token distances to stroll. Meals were excellent, especially the dinners which were not only enjoyable but expansive in choice as well.
Would just like to say a special thanks for the efforts of Heike, the reception staff, the waiting staff, the house keeping…to name but a few. Finally a big thank you to the Directors for making our stay so wonderful & memorable and helping your team achieve the level of professionalism that they all have.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We spent a week at this hotel over New Years & enjoyed evey minute of it. The service was excellent, from the reception we received by the Manager Heike to the all the hotel staff.
There was a variety of different dishes daily with a fabuluos spread on New Years Eve. The rooms were peaceful, clean and very comfortable.
We found plenty to do. Jet skis available just short walk down the beach along with a handfull of some very nice bars & restaurants. We didn't have to go far to find the local nightlife. Il Covo bar/restaurant is right next door. Great!
I stayed here 4 years ago and noticed some very positive changes. The rooms & bathrooms are new renovated & workmanship is really good.
Will definately be returning soon. Keep up thje good work Kenya Bay

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2009

I stayed at the Kenya Bay Hotel as it was recommended by a friend. It was the most interesting stay I have had in Mombasa in years. The staff are courteous, the animators are innovative, friendly and helpful. The meals were excellent and well planned. The activities were enough to keep my family active, and most important the rooms were quite and well serviced. I am looking forward to another memorable holiday at Kenya Bay - more days this time!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburi
Severin Sea Lodge
#10 of 60 in Mombasa
Kahama Hotel
Kahama Hotel
#6 of 14 in Bamburi

Been to Kenya Bay Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!