All reviews swing bar beach boys bamburi beach main bar dress code beach holiday half board standard room boat trip animation team mosquito net seafood hotel grounds every meal safari africa monkeys
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Overall the experience was very relaxing as it is was very crowded. I didn't feel like I was on one of those package holidays with everyone and anyone. Their rooms are very very old and very basic but you get what you need.

Upside- We walked to other nearby restaurants for lunch and dinner. It's on a strip of hotels. Wide choice at breakfast. Best Calamari in town.
Downside - entertainment was limited and the animators were not very enthusiastic.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Joy J
Severin_Kenya, Geschäftsführer at Severin Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Savannah_Rain,

Thank you for the write up on Tripadvisor and noted your comments.
The rooms you were in are our standard rooms and although they are dated, we keep them clean and make sure they are looked after daily. We are planning to also renovate these rooms in the near future. Our animation is low key as we are that type of hotel that a lot of people want in the way of totally relaxed atmosphere.

We do hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I'm in love with the place the landscape the rooms and the atmosphere around. Makes you feel home away from home. My only issue is service and senior staff attitude. I would define it as "heaven being ruled by jungle men". It's so embarrassing that they cannot take care of a simple set menu of 24 people a thing that i would do by my own being in the industry for quite sometime. The senior staff are just so obnoxious and they just don't care about what you say or you criticism even though it's positive for their own good! To be honest I was embarrassed and wouldn't recommend the place to anyone unless you are so daring. I think the place should be ranked as a two star not a four star considering the excellent services being offered by other hotels around them!

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank ken697
Severin_Kenya, Geschäftsführer at Severin Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Ken,

On many occasions after the event, we tried to discuss this with you, but you did not wish to. Sorry to have you think we are ‘Jungle Men’, but it is not the case here and we are the first ones to admit a mistake when we have made this. We will never run away from these.

However the mix up in the food orders was directly due to the intereference from someone close to the wedding party. Plus the fact that as this was a sit down à la carte order we cook fresh and do not cook in adavnce. If that person had just stayed out of the service everything would have gone as planned.

As stated we are the first ones to admit to a mistake and we always try and ensure that when the guests leave they have been reconciled and are then satisfied. Sorry we were not able to do this in your case. Even the photographer who was not from the hotel also pointed that he was interfering in everything.

Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Great resort with good food and facilities although the locals congregate around the steps to the beach and try to sell you everything from carved sculptures to safari trips

Usually they will try and snag newly arrived travellers and priced will be hugely inflated for items you can buy vastly cheaper a few days later.

Be aware that safari trips bought on the beach may not have the same level of insurance or quality as officially bought trips, will be in sub standard hotels and also entail stop offs at friends shops to try to sell you goods.

Definitely use the local carvers in the hotel though who will make you personalised items to order.

Tsavo East is a must visit as are a number if local attractions offering the opportunity to get up close to giant tortoises, giraffes - hand feed etc.

Date of stay: June 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike24536
Severin_Kenya, Manager at Severin Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Dear Mike 24536,

Thank you very much for the write-up here on Tripadvisor.

You are correct that the beach sellers do try and get you to pay as much. We normally advise our guests that bargaining is a way of life here and whatever prices they say in your mind half it then half it again and start bargaining, you should end up with both parties being satisfied. Also we do try and deter our guests buying cheap safaris as you say they are not insured.

We were sorry that our guests from the UK had to leave all of a sudden but we know that you will return in the future. Thanks for spending your holidays with us at Severin Sea Lodge!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We chose this hotel due to many positive reviews that was posted on this forum. I agree that staff are polite, accommodating and helpful, however there were too many issues that arose on a daily basis that made us feel that this hotel does not deserve the 4 stars or the 4Ts that Thomson has rated it. I have stayed in many 4 stars and 5 star hotels in other parts of the world and to me this is not a 4 star hotel.
Upon arrival we were provided with a room that had dirty and dusty floor. We could feel the grit on the floor when we walked barefoot. There weren't any bathroom mats which made it slippery when we came out of the shower, no complimentary bottles of water or any toiletries and no hot water, after a long haul flight all we wanted was to freshen up. We had a shower anyway, only to find that the shower tray didn't drain properly and water was accumulating up to our ankles. In order to prevent the bathroom from flooding we had to have the shower at a trickle. It looked like the only thing that was made in this room was the bed. We left this dismal, backpacker-type-room and went to the Swing bar to order two (Severin) mix fruit juices which took over half an hour to make. We also ordered a toasted cheese & tomato sandwich and a plate of calamari; this took 1 hour and 30 mins to get to us. When it did the calamari was burnt and it tasted as chewy as rubber/elastic bands (see attached pics). We asked on 3 occasions how our meal was progressing but were told it will come when it’s ready. The last excuse was that the restaurant was busy with other orders so it will come when it comes. We didn't say much as we were past our hunger threshold. That night we went back to this dismal room only to find four mosquitoes inside the bed as the mosquito net had holes in it.
The next day, we spoke to our Thomson's rep Julius, who asked reception to move us to another room. They showed us a room exactly the same as ours however, it had everything that wasn't in our room and they showed us a “Comfort room” which was much better, more spacious and what a hotel room should be. We decided to move to this room but couldn't do it until after 12. After moving, James, the Customer Relations officer spoke to us and apologised for the room we were in previously, he assured us that the toiletries and complimentary bottles of water as well as bath mats are standard in all rooms. He gave us complimentary drinks at the bar. We told him that upon leaving the old room we noticed a little sliding panel on the front door which we didn’t see the day before and realised that someone (perhaps previous occupants of the room) had left it on ”Do not Disturb” which would explain why the room was not made up or replenished. However, management should ensure that housekeeping is informed when a guest vacates the room so regardless if the door sign is left with the panel opened and displaying “Do not Disturb” they should clean and replenish the room as they know that guests have checked out of this room. We appreciated the prompt response by staff and Thomson's rep to deal with this issue.
However, when we moved to the new room, that night the air-con didn't work and we tried to sleep in a humid room, the ceiling fan had no effect on the humidity. Each day there were daily issues ranging from air-con not working, to asking for: tissues, toiletries, sugar/tea/coffee to be replenished or to have hot water. A few days after we got back from our safari, James came and asked us if everything was to our satisfaction. We informed him that each day we had to ring for something as things just weren't getting replenished. So, he said that today he would personally ensure that everything was in the room. Later, when we checked our room we found that for the first time ever, everything was there in terms of toiletries/tea/coffee/water. However, there wasn't any hot water. As it had been raining all day, the temperature was cool and we wanted a warm shower not a cold one. We rang reception and asked them about the hot water. James came and I could see that he wasn't pleased. I asked him if the hotel used solar power for the hot water and due to it raining all day, could this be the reason that we didn't have even warm water? He completely ignored my question and as I looked at him, I could see his jaw clenching and unclenching. Finally, we were told that there was no hot water due to the heavy rains and we were the first one to complain. We had no warm/hot water on four different occasions, including at 3am this morning (6/5/14) when we were getting ready to check out. As it was raining, it got cold and we wanted to have a hot shower. Reception knew it was raining and no one came with umbrellas to take us from our room to reception, so in the rain I struggled with two suitcases, my partner having one suitcase and as he is visually impaired it was a nightmare trying to verbally navigate him to reception without him walking into trees or the rocky/concrete hedging, while we struggled with the luggage in the rain. Needless to say, having a cold shower at 3am wasn’t necessary as we were drenched by the time we arrived at reception. Also the air con failed on two nights (22/4/14 and 27/4/14) so it got very hot and humid. We got tired of ringing each day for something to be replenished in the room as we checked our room as soon as it had been cleaned. I suggested to James that housekeeping should have a checklist of things that they need to replenish, so that regardless of who is cleaning the rooms each day (as they do it on a rotation basis) consistency is maintained and guests are not left wanting for anything.
This hotel does not trust its staff or guests with things like kettles, as when we got to this room there was tea and coffee but no kettle to boil water in. We were told we had to collect this from reception. We got the kettle two days later. Also, knowing that it is the rainy season, why not provide umbrellas. If you think staff and guests are going to steal this then why not offer umbrellas at reception for a deposit and this deposit can be reimbursed upon check out when guests return the umbrellas to reception. During our second week it rained each morning and it was difficult trying to get to breakfast from our room which was near the gate to the restaurant without getting drenched.
To be fair, staff are pleasant and helpful but management needs to do something to make this place the four stars that it claims to be. Also, there were many sex tourists at this hotel and by that I mean old European men with young Kenyan girls and vice versa, middle aged European women (parading themselves as mutton dressed as lamb) with young Kenyan men. Not a good look for people with young children/young families seeing these people kissing and cavorting with each other poolside and beachside.
We saw the general manager Andrew Muir on numerous occasions around the hotel/reception area; however, he did not approach us once to ask us about our stay.

Room tip: Whatever room you're given make sure that the mosquito net doesn't have holes in it.
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank aitenshi
Severin_Kenya, Manager at Severin Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Mrs. Aitenshi

Whether reports or critiques are good or bad we would like to thank you for your feedback and I would like to reply to some issues that you may have had here at the hotel.

We do have 2 categories of rooms according to the rate our guests pay. These are either the standard rooms or comfort rooms. The first room you had was in the 400 side which is our standard rooms and on this side as according to the catalogue they have air conditioning, small fridge, complementary safe and hair dryers. In the comfort side we do also provide the same but also tea and coffee amenities, fan and a 40 inch plasma flat screen TV. The room stewards have to ensure that the rooms are cleaned daily and that when there is an arrival our supervisors and Front Office managers do check to ensure that everything ins in place and ready for occupancy. I really do not know what to say to you regarding your statement that there was nothing in there like bath mat, water and shower or soap amenities as this is a standard procedure for our staff to put in. It is also standard requirement to check and ensure that the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign is not showing. We do practice standard operating procedure lessons every day and so our rooms stewards do know that the procedures are for a room to be ready for occupancy. We sincerely apologise if this was not the case and to your satisfaction.

Regarding hot water we do have solar panels that heat our water to 45 Degrees C, then it goes through a boiler system to bring this upto 55 degrees C which is standard temperature for hot water so that it is not so hot that it can burn someone without being mixed with cold. During a short period we did have a breakdown in the boiler system, however within a 24 hour period this was back up and working.

Regarding umbrellas in the rooms, this we do not supply as so many do go walking on their own. However, we do always keep a stock of umbrellas at reception which can be used.

When you did change the rooms we did also make sure that your room was filled daily with amenities and we did personally talk to housekeeping to make sure this happened. The rooms steward assured us these were put in and do not know how they did not see, to disappear.

The lunch at the Safari Bistro is all à la carte and we do have a POS (Point of Sales system) whereby the waiter computerize the order and this is taken to the kitchen to be prepared and served. According to our records on that particular day it seemed to be 40 minutes from the taking of the order and the kitchen having this ready for service. I really do not know what to say about the other missing minutes. However all our meals are made fresh when the orders come in hence the 40 minutes is a little late for us as we try and do these within 30 minutes but correct to say on that day we were very busy in the restaurant.

Julius, the Thomsons tour leader, comes daily to the hotel and I personally, when I am here, check with him and ask him how guests are. The reason for this is to ensure that any guest who has a situation is taken care of immediately. I did recheck with him yesterday and he can only recall a comment from you regarding shower gel on one particular day otherwise he cannot give us any more information. James, our Guest Relations officer, does make sure that he meets and greets every guest here at the hotel, he does bring to the management’s attention any problems that guests may be having. That being the case we try and ensure that our guest is suitably satisfied and he did sit with you over drinks and he did report back that you were not happy. If a guest does have a problem we do make sure that we check daily to ensure that they are happy again.

As to myself I really do try and see as many of the guests I can and I do also ensure that I have a complete open door policy 24 hours a day to make sure that if any guests need to see me they do. Also when there is a problem I do also like to see the guest concerned to make sure they are satisfied. I am sorry this did not happen in your case as I do remember seeing you in the lobby and in the restaurant, however the latter half of your stay I was out of office marketing in Nairobi, but I keep a daily check on the hotel and was aware that James had had drinks with you and you were happy.

Many of these items you mention neither James or the tour leader Julius was aware of otherwise we would have had this in a guest and managers daily report. Personal attention is extremely important to us and all the staff know that there is no other priority other than guest satisfaction, hence we do try and make sure we are on top of everything.

I am sorry that we did not come upto your expectations and further apologise that we inconvenienced you in any way as we do try and get it 100% right. I do sincerely hope that you will come back as we like to make sure that your next holiday will be a better experience and hopefully to entice you even to come back again.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was Staying there from the 09.05.14 to 11.05.14 Room Nr 179 Karibu Class Bungalow with Breakfast Inclusive just near 50 Mitters from the Pool as was Request for.

I have say the Room was even the Bath and Toiletw were very Clean even the Beds and what Actually belonging to was Very Clean.My Proble was the Bed linen s and Pillowcase was Smelling like a Room has been not Fresh Air

On the 09.05.14 a Salat Buffe with diffent kind of Salat and Dressing I had 4 Course Menu The First Course was a Meat Round it in a Bannana When i was seeing the Size of that Meal I was Shoked the Value was Disseponted The Secand Cours was a Vegetable Soup i was not seeing the Vagetables ...!!! The 3th was Beef with Rice Coconut and Fresh Vegetables the Meat was very Well Cooked all together it was very very Yummie

The Dessert was Ok there was a Apple Strudel with Cream and Vanille on the Plate. I was feld like they want to Safe Cream becouse there was just a very Small bit of Cream on the Plate.
The Price 2100 KS and the Value is not Fitting in that Menu

The Breakfast Buffe was very Good all was Fresh from the Bread till to the Fruts and the Nice Salti Butter Fresh Cooking Eggs Bacon Combined with Chopped vegetables Tomatos Onion Chives

Room tip: When you Plan to go there Ask for Request near the Beach or the Pool
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Severin_Kenya, Manager at Severin Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Macryf,

Thank you so much for your comments here on Tripadvisor!
We've noted that you have mixed feelings regarding the evening meals. Indeed we have a combination of 3 buffets and 4 sit down à la carte evenings. When we do à la carte we always have a choice of 2 starters, 2 soups and 3 main courses with vegetarian options as well. We are always very happy to oblige someone if they require second helpings.

In April through to July is our rainy season and here in the tropics when it rains it really does rain. This also brings its own problems in keeping the air very damp and indeed this gets into the rooms as well. We try to keep the rooms aired as much as possible and before our guests arrive we always keep the windows and doors open to ensure this. However, when our guests are in the rooms it means that the doors are normally closed and with air conditioning of course the windows will be closed as well. We always change bed linen every other day and the same with towels. If our guests leave the towels on the floor this means that they would like them to be changed automatically. These wishes we do have printed in our guest bathrooms.

When the hotel was built we made sure that everyone could enjoy the sea front and we built all our public bars and restaurants directly in front of the ocean. The rooms are in small little bungalows of 3 and 4 bedrooms dotted around our tropical gardens. If the occupancy does allow we do try and make sure that our guests have the best views we can give.

In all we thank you very much for staying with us and we do hope to see you again.