Just spent 2 weeks at Whitesands. The hotel is conveniently situated on the North coast of Mombasa, 5 minutes from a shopping complex (City Plaza/Nakumet) and 30 minutes from Mombasa by car. We hired a car for the 2 weeks at a rate of 3000Ksh per day (around £25). Driving in Mombasa is not easy but taxis with a driver are available at a rate of around 5000Ksh per day. Mombasa town is manic , and for me not worth travelling into regularly. The traffic congestion and poor roads make it a very unpleasant experience. There is nothing to see in Mombasa town except Fort Jesus and if travelling across the ferry to the South coast.
Whitesands however was a pleasure and a destination in itself. The hotel has a huge sea facing frontage with impeccable grounds and very good staff. We were in sea facing rooms on the 1st floor with spectacular views and good facilities. Our room had tea/coffee making facilities (kettle), a fridge, iron, ironing board and a safe. The room balcony is small but ample for two. Be aware not to leave the balcony door open if you are out because we had our fruit raided by monkeys. Otherwise the rooms are very pleasant. The hotel has 5 large pools, all we'll maintained with a life guard. One of the pools has a waterslide which was used by all guests kids and adults alike. This a fantastic resort for families with kids. We used the gym and spa regularly. The gym although small is well equipped and pleasantly air conditioned. The spa however, although very good, is expensive with massages costing around 3000Ksh on average. The hotel offers free tea and coffee with limited snacks everyday between 4 and 5 pm at Cocos beach bar to all guests. We found this a really good touch because it brought us together as a group between these times. My wife from the gym/spa, kids from the pool and I from playing golf at Nyali golf club. The food at the hotel is average at best although the chefs are very accommodating and will try to cater to requests. If eating out then "Namaskar" at hotel Bliss near Nakumet is excellent (probably the best curry I've ever had). Breakfast is a pleasure with lots of different fruit and fresh juices with the normal eggs etc.. All in all we found this a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday. Thank you to all at Sarova Whitesands. I will definitely come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- East Africa's finest resort, Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa is conveniently located on one of the longest magnificent beach fronts on the Kenyan coast. We take pride in ensuring our guests enjoy the most relaxing and comfortable stay in tastefully furnished rooms and suites offering spectacular ocean, pool and garden views. For dining and entertainment, guests can choose from three themed superb restaurants, two great bars, and the exclusive Cocos Beach Bar, overlooking the beautiful Mombasa Ocean. There are four outdoor swimming pools with water slides, spring board, diving boards and four floodlit tennis courts that also serve as a landing ground for helicopters. A fully equipped wellness and fitness club with state-of-the-art fitness equipment, a PADI diving centre and a host of water sports, like snorkelling and jet skiing are also available. Be it a family holiday with children, beach wedding, honeymoon, business meetings with a difference or special interests like deep sea diving or fishing, Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa has something special for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort And Spa
- Sarova Whitesands Beach Hotel Bamburi
- Whitesands Hotel Mombasa
- Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa Kenya/Bamburi