“Great experience”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
London, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have spent one week in Whitesands and I can't fault it one bit. We arrived to relax after week on Safari and that is what we did. Relaxed... The rooms were amazing, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is currently going through a refurb of the older parts of the hotel and rooms, however, this hasn't spoiled our stay. I took my mum to Kenya to celebrate her 60th and she can truly say she had time of her life.
So for us, it was as perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paja173
RonnieKithinji, Manager at Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Paja 173,

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort, more so after a week long safari. To enjoy a safari and unwind in our resort and find unmatched comfort and hospitality is just refreshing feedback for my team.
My team and I are glad and delighted to have been part of celebrating your dear Mum's 60 th birthday and her being here in Kenya for her first time.
We hope and trust that we shall have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Ronnie Kithinji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This place is out of this world. Just what we needed following 8 days on Safari! Total relaxation and pampering in a little oasis in Mombasa!
The rooms were immaculate, the grounds were picture perfect, the staff were extremley attentive and nothing was ever too much trouble. We ate in the buffet only once in the evening as we preferred Lido's but this can get busy so booking is reccommended! Every meal was very good, and there was plenty of choice across all 3 dining options.
Out of all the pools we tended to stick to the quiet pool near the spa. The pool was clean, the grounds well maintained and the staff very keen to help!
We had a seaview room and it was well worth the extra expense, the only frustration being the second you step on the beach you are approached by people selling trips, souvineers, camel rides, you name i! This didn't spoil the stay, but we felt restricted when it came to where to go.
There were improvements being made whilst we were on site but this casued no disruption to our break whatsoever, in fact we only really noticed them when ne walked past them!
An amazing and relaxing stay. Definately one to visit again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kazzapie
Dear Kazzapie,
Let me thank you for choosing to stay with us at the resort. We are trully grateful to hear that our services, room, food and general atmosphere exceeded your expectations.
Its worthwhile to mention you enjoyed the serene and the quiet pool which is specifically for those guests wanting to have a quiet time by the pool.
Am delighted to note that the seaview room offered was worth the extra expense and this will definetlty reassure all our viewers on our rooms ambience.
We certainly look forwrd to welcoming you again to the resort.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Absolutely amazing the accommodation was immaculate the food was excellent and varied the staff were extremely friendly professional and efficient.
II would just like to make the point that the resort is in the process of updating their rooms and witnessed first hand the lengths the resort went to to keep this to a minimum. They have to do this work at some point and unlike some reviews on here we didn't complian we used our legs to find plenty of spots that were quiet as you would want on your honeymoon.
I don't write these reviews very often and will take some of them with a pinch of salt after hearing next to me the facts then reading a complete exaggeration on this site from clearly the same person Thank you for reading my review and I hope it provides a more accurate picture of the resort.
In conclusion if you go, count the number of palm trees in the resort that were planted by repeat guests, I believe that tells you all you need to know about the place.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank markgibson33
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our resort on your recent visit to Kenya. We are glad and humbled that our resort services were above your expectations, more so our friendly staff who met all your needs.
It is through this reviews that will encourage more potential guests to choose our resort.
My team and I look forward to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Rooms Division Manager
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I checked in yesterday after a 10 day safari trip and longed for a relaxing holiday in the whitesands. However, when I entered my room and I surprisingly found that the room was so old and dirty. There were ants near the toilet paper rack and even on the toilets roll. The water was brown in color. I washed my swimming suits with the water from shower and it made it turn brown too. I asked to change another room and the staff told us that the hotel was full. I was so disappointed to this so called 5 star hotel for this kind of room is supposed not to be rented out. This room is the worst among the several hotels and lodges I stayed in Kenya.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Globalperspective852
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I spent a month at Sarova Whitesands in Kenya including Christmas and New Years eve. Was a great party however must admit that i have many problems with noise . I asked many times to change the room and even in a quiet area ( Spa) i had issues. I haven't seen proper approach from the staff as I think they are unprepared.
Besides that this is a nice hotel for kids and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CrisB0913
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

White sands is probably the best hotel in the north coast of Mombasa and located in the prime place of tourism. Spread in a large area with as many rooms , conference facility and a place to chill out in any season with their spa and swimming pool.
The food spread is quite nice and caters to vegetarian clients too . The entrance and the lobby is very attractive.

Room Tip: Book for the sea facing rooms if not you will not be able to enjoy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mayurkant1
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at the Sarova Whitesand for 10 nights on an all inclusive bases at the end of August 2013 following a safari at the Masai Mara.

This is probably the best beach resort in Kenya and the team do an amazing job in making every guest feel so special.

We had rooms overlooking the beach which were very comfortable and were recently refurbished. Huge beds with mosquito nets and a balcony.

As we were on an all inclusive basis we mainly had breakfast at dinner at the Pavillions restaurant where there was huge choice and buffet based....and if this isn't enough the chefs are more than happy to make you something specific for you... we asked for kebabs and tandoori chicken one evening and the team obliged...just give them some notice. There were different dishes each night so you never got bored. The desserts were good and on the indian themed evening they had amazing gulab jaman and rasmalai...my favourites! Fish was on the menu every night and chapatis / nan cooked in the tandoori oven. Pasta and other western dishes were plentiful including soup, salads etc.

Being gluten free was not an issue and we ordered a birthday cake one evening and the chef
made us an incredible gluten free chocolate brownie cake..wish we could have taken it home. There was a live band each night playing great tunes over dinner.

We had lunch in one of the other restaurants which were menu based and table service. The choice at the beach restaurant is limited to all inclusive guest as is the choice of drinks which was probably the only disappointing aspect of the stay i.e. pina colada included but not mojita's; local beers, rums etc...no international brands when it comes to beers and spirits.

The swimming pools were fantastic - there is a main pool which hosts a range of activities and has a swim up bar; there is a shallow family pool and a quiet pool for grown ups!

The entertainment team is incredible - from crazy David, Simon, Kamal, Lucy. We participated in water aerobics, tennis, beach volleyball and water polo. The same team conducted the nightly entertainment from salsa dancing to various dance routines and masai dancing.

By coincidence the Presidents of Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda also visited the hotel whilst we were there which further endorses the quality of this resort.

Like any hotel or resort, what really makes the difference is the people. The Whitesands is certainly not short of people who CONSISTENTLY go beyond the call of duty. The following are just a few who made our stay more enjoyable:

Sammy from guest relations who went beyond his duties and accompanied us to a local orphanage where we wanted to make a small donation

Wamboi, also from guest relations who just couldn't do enough for us and a very caring and friendly attitide. She was always there to assist and make our stay special. Also thanks to Yvonne for her assistance and wonderful happy nature.

Jane - the Front of House Manager - a true professional and knows everything and everyone!

Michael at the Lido Beach Bar - when I had a sore throat, I said what can he suggest as a cure...thinking I may be offered a brandy but was early in the day! Instead Michael went out of his way and went to another restaurant in the resort and bought me a hot glass of water, honey, ginger and lemon - otherwise called as a 'concoction'. Thanks Michael for making me feel better!

Donald - another true experienced pro! Donald could be seen everywhere all the time! He had a welcoming smile everytime you met him. An eye for detail....a real hospitality expert!.

Patrick and Charles from the gardening team, Charles was always ready to help if we looked a little lost. Patrick had the most wonderful smile and caring attitude, always tendering the gardens with great care and attention....my girls miss you so much!

I could go on.......

In summary, a great resort and you will not be disappointed. It was sad to leave the resort and the people that make the resort great! Hopefully we will return one day.

Wishing the resort and the team every success for the future.

Room Tip: The hotel is going through refurbishment in some parts. The beach facing rooms have been refurbished...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Tiwana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburi
Severin Sea Lodge
Kenya Bay Beach Hotel
Kenya Bay Beach Hotel
#5 of 14 in Bamburi
Nyali International Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!