All reviewssports barswimming pool is well maintainedbreakfast stafffew minutes walkhot showernice breakfastdouble roomgreat musickaraoke nightair conditioningeunicemombasapocketdjreceptionistcleanliness
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

A stay here is decent enough if you keep your expectations low. There are a number of flaws with the hotel, but at the same time, it wasn’t a bad place to stay.

The rooms themselves are fairly spacious and clean, although a bit on the dark side. The beds were fine for me, but the sheet and pillow cases had holes in them. The room comes with a minibar full of about 20 drinks but they don’t provide you a bottle opener to actually be able to enjoy the drinks. My colleague also noted she didn’t have a bottle opener but had to use the furniture to open. When I called to request one, it took three calls and nearly an hour before someone from the bar came with one but said I couldn’t keep it because she needed it. Thus I opened my one beer, and had to give it up. The AC remote didn’t work so I had to manually turn it on but climbing on a chair. Couldn’t change the temp without the remote, so just had to deal with 24 degrees throughout my stay.

The bathroom is ok, but toilet almost never completely flushed and the shower was warm only once during my four day stay. This wasn’t too bad since it was hot outside, but most would expect to have a hot shower if they want.

The pool area is nice and the water clear. The restaurant/bar was also nice for lunch, but is super loud at night. Luckily my AC drowned out the sound in the room. I found the restaurant food to be ok but tends toward the greasy and fried side. Breakfast buffet near the pool was subpar except for egg station. Fruit was warm and soggy. Flies were everywhere. Some pastries had green specks of mold on them.

The staff were overall quite nice, and check in and out was smooth. The beach was a few minute walk away, as was the Kenya Bay hotel which has nice sea views for a drink.

Overall for the rate I paid, this was not a bad deal, but don’t come here expecting a luxury resort. Like the rest of Mombasa, you have to squint a bit to try to see its charm.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2017

This was my second visit and stay in this hotel. I still loved the African theme, the hospitality of the staff, nice breakfast and cool sports bar. I was however disappointed by two things: Very loud and annoying church service on Sunday morning. This was very annoying and intrusive.Secondly, room service ladies are too loud on the corridors early in the morning, interfering with their loud conversations.
Overall, the place is still as good as I found it last year.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2017

2 terrible things here:

On Sunday mornings you will be woken with the blare of church music for hours and hours. I complained to the management but there is no concept of noise pollution in Africa. Nothing has been done to fix this.

The management demanded we paid a day rate when we didn't take our bags out of a room for half an hour after checkout. It was ridiculous. In hotels, if you complain to reception about a charge, they take it away because they value your custom. Here, we got HOUNDED and THREATENED.

It could be such a nice hotel, but the management have absolutely no training.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2017 via mobile

Lovely staff who truly go out of their way for you! Very clean,small and cozy place! Baby and big pools are lovely. The band and House DJ were awesome! Sadly,Breakfast options not the best but one wouldn't starve.. would definitely recommend!

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janet M
Reviewed August 31, 2017

I stayed at the Kahama hotel twice and really enjoyed my experience. For me, it was the perfect getaway, filled with sunshine, sea-breeze and relaxation. I am sure the more intrepid travellers would enjoy it, too..

From the furniture and the décor, to the local kikois and the food, the area’s rich Swahili heritage comes through, and brightens up the place with character and colour. The pool is large and clean, and when you don’t want to lounge around, the sandy beach is but a short walk away (likewise, it’s a short drive to the bustling old town of Mombasa).

The service is prompt and the staff friendly, and the amenities available seemed to cater to my needs. Perhaps most enjoyable was the live band entertainment over the weekend. The artists were not only talented performers, but sassy entertainers too, which made for a nice, jolly ending to my mini-holidays. I would totally recommend this hotel to those who prefer the authentic hospitality and warmth of a locally-owned establishment, as opposed to the big-chain hotels who welcome masses of guests.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends