“Great Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
Ad Dawha, Ad Dawhah, Qatar
“Great Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel has great crew, rooms and hygiene is good. All travelers around Mombasa, Bamburi should give it a try.
I stayed for three day and had the best time ever. The sports bar is somewhere you want to be, great music, affordable beer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

i stayed in Kahama for 2wks in my holiday in June 2012.

I like Kahama because it is affordable, clean, strategically placed and has nice rooms. Mombasa is a hot place so the air conditioning in the rooms is a very welcome addition too. I like it that they have a nice swimming pool. Food is great...but dont order for beef; the beef is as hard as an old boot. The DSTV only shows MM movies which can get boring...putting up Aljazeera/HNK and a few western news channels would help.

The greatest strength for kahama is the staff. That place has staff that make you forget that it is time to go home. I commend Immanuel (Man U) and the team at the front desk...and Bob and the team at the restaurant. Great job! I wont forget Dj Vinnie at the pub. Great job! Great regards to the security team too...Ole wanaume wote!

As far as hotels are conccerned, Kahama is easily the greatest value for money in the whole of Mombasa. Kahama is the only hotel in Mombasa that I will willingly pay from my pocket to stay in. When I stay in any other hotel in Mombasa, it is because someone else has paid for it: (no offence to my boss(es) :)

Mwaka

• Stayed June 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

It was my first trip to Kahama hotel. We checked in on a Friday evening. Being four in our party and only two rooms available we took an Executive room and a Standard Superior room. Due to the heat I wanted to take a shower but there was no water in the Executive Shower. I called someone in to check on that and left the room in dismay to get a meal as they sorted that out.

When I came back they had sorted it out but the 'Executive Water' was as cold as ice. The next morning I moved into a Standard Superior room which is actually better, if not as good than the executive one.

The stay from here on was better. We checked out the following day only for me to learn that my flight was due at 8.20 that evening. I went back to the hotel and asked for a day time lay over and the receptionist asked me to pay a rate equal to 24 hours at the hotel which did not make sense as I was only to be there for four hours.

My advice would be cheap is expensive as you will get better food and better service at the adjacent Sarova Whitesands Hotel. The staff look quite bored and lethargic. If you want a real holiday experience dont go to Kahamas. If not brace yourself for average service in an average hotel.

Room Tip: Dont bother with the Executive Room. Rooms at the far end corner are next to the towel store so you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Value for money, most definitely. Would come back again. Cons: Some TVs need replacement, and the verandah light gets into some of the rooms at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have just walked out of this hotel and moved my 30 strong party to Sun-Sweet hotel. This is because the owner has tried to charge use an extra £1000 on top of the advertised price! He has also inflated the prices of the meals and to make it even worse - a hotel master key was used to get into one of our rooms and £150 was stolen. We are a charity group of students building a school, so you might think we would be treated with some respect (we have all over Mombasa) but not by this guy - he sees us as an easy touch. We even had someone from his staff open the hotel safe we had rented (again using the master code)! It also has its own sports bar - this ensures you don't get to sleep until 2 in the morning as the music is very loud (which would be Ok - but there is only mosi mesh on the windows so the sound gets through). Their mosquito nets are useless (but they look nice!) as they do not go all the around the bed and don't even reach the floor.
So overall - I would only recommend this place if you are happy to pay more than advertised and if you don't mind your valuables being stolen and you being bitten by mosquitos!

Room Tip: See if you can find a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ashtonparkmiller
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I mean you get what you pay for. There was nothing excellent about the place. Everything was average which is ok considering it was the cheapest (KES 11,350 per night for a double) reasonable place we could find in the high season of Dec 2010. As mentioned by another reviewer, they did not have safes in the room and we were asked to use the safe at the reception. We preferred not to use it as it makes one feel as if they are in high school and requesting for their money from the bazaar. We also felt we did not want the staff knowing how much money we had on us at all times etc etc.

Anyway, who ever it is that steals picks a little at a time. So if you have your cash in bundles of say KES 10,000 they will pick 1,000 from each bundle. If you have bundles of USD 1000 they will pick USD 100 from each bundle. When you look at your money at a glance, it looks the same just that it aint. You will only discover when you are trying to pay bills and you are short of cash because you have less cash than you expect.
We reported it to the management and they offered to take us to the police to make a statement. Well, knowing the police in Kenya we were not ready to waste our vacation time going back and forth to a police station. The management offered us a free night at the hotel but we had already paid for our stay in full and did not have more time to extend our vacation.
I have seen from another review that someone was fired for stealing 700 I hope it is the same person that stole our money.
Some of the reviews here are too good to true or the people reviewing have very low expectations. This place is just average!

Room Tip: Sorry all rooms are noisy from the music and band in the bar!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed at the Kahama hotel on business and I must say that was the best decision I made this month. I had to transfer out of the hotels in town after a food poisoning experience (not to name the hotel involved) but the staff @ Kahama welcomed me with open arms. I was there for about a month and it was like being at home. Emmanuel, Edgar & Rosilla the remaining front desk staff were amazing and would go above and beyond with my requests. The waitress staff especially Becky, Eunice, Mercy, Robert, Violet were exceptional... The rooms were cleaned at your convenience and I found my items just the way I left them. I LOVED the swimming pool too. The only thing I really didn't like was the bar that played loud music on a daily basis. Kindly find out how to cater to your guests who cant sleep with the noise pollution.
Other than that, I shall come back again for sure. My ONLY hotel to stay in Mombasa for sure..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburi
Severin Sea Lodge
Voyager Beach Resort
Voyager Beach Resort
#1 of 58 in Mombasa
4.5 of 5 stars 2,677 reviews

Been to Kahama Hotel? Share your experiences!