“Book early & have the Lamb Pekna.”
Review of Konoba Barba

Konoba Barba
Ranked #4 of 23 Restaurants in Komiza
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Croatian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: If you turn left going through Ribarska street from Riva to the hotel, you can come to the terrace of Konoba "Barba". Surrounded with traditional island architecture, you can see the whole Komiza bay from there. Enjoy the beauty and charm of this place that seems to have been built by nobles for their pleasure, and share divine moments pampered by experienced staff and traditional meals made from ecologically bred groceries, meat and fish from local fishermen.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The cheapest, and probably the best of the 3 restaurants beyond the Riva. We booked the day before and asked for the 'Lamb under a Bell". When we arrived, people were being turned away, but we were shown to a lovely table under a lemon tree. The Lamb was vast, with mountains of potato & veg. Washed down with rather too much local white wine, it was a superb meal. And under £40 for two. Excellent.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This place is a must! I ate a grilled steak and after a first bite I was simply speechless. It was the best steak in my life and trust me I have eaten a lot of stakes all over the world.

2  Thank Gibboni81
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Located between two more famous places, this restaurant seemed to be logical choice if other two are busy. Unlike some other reviewers, my first impressions of the place were good. Ambiance is very nice with great views and we were greeted by a very polite waiter. The only thing I did not like is loud a capella music from Croatia - more suitable for funerals than dinners.

Menu is a mix of everything, this restaurant does not follow any concept, bit of grill Serbian style, bit of pizza and a bit of what is perceived as traditional Dalmatian food.

Wine list is a get rich quick scheme - the cheapest supermarket corked wines are priced as high as decent wines in surrounding restaurants. The choice of local wines from Vis is poor.

The food is simply disgusting. They put loads of garlic even on grilled shrimps, which is an old trick do disguise the freshness. I can't remember when I had more salt in my food, even chard tasted like it was cooked in sea water. Putting too much salt is the oldest trick in rip off tourist schemes in Croatia - it makes you drink more. Cuttlefish risotto was terrible, with wrong rice and so salty I could not finish it. I've asked for some grated cheese for my risotto and I was given the cheapest supermarket pre-grated cheese, one that makes Kraft taste like fine dining.

I was too scarred to ask for deserts and went straight for the check instead. They charge even for bread cuts. That would be fine if the rest of the prices are like in self-service restaurant by the road, not the fine dining ones.

The only thing which prevents me for giving 1* to this place is waiter who was polite and professional and nice surroundings.

Verdict: If you don't like someone with kidney problems this is the place to take him. Meanwhile. you can have a beer, enjoy the views and eat somewhere else later.

1  Thank FoodEliminator
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

there are 3 very similar restaurant's in one tiny street and we choose Konoba Barba because of a recommendation of our apartman owner. the restaurant has great view on the harbour and a nice atmosphere. they grill everything on open fire and they have a dalmatian speciality called "Pekna" which you should order several hours before. reservation is recommended anyway. the food was good but not overwhelming, unfortuneately we couldn't try Pekna, maybe next time. the pricerange is quite high for croatia but almost normal for the island Vis. You should count with €30/pax. worth to try!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

You must make reservations to go here, so plan ahead (either the afternoon or the day before). I had the grilled lamb and vegetables. My husband had the veal. The veal wasn't very memorable, but the lamb was great. It has a great atmosphere. But nothing truly memorable. Maxo is wayyyy better for a similar experience.