“Excellent in every way.”
Review of Skillet - CLOSED

Skillet
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We recently celebrated our Golden Wedding anniversary at the Skillet and had a wonderful night.
There were 22 of us and everyone enjoyed their meals. Delicious starters, mains and desserts.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the chef did an excellent job, couldn't have bettered it anywhere. Thank you, you made our day perfect.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Very good menu nice staff. The chef came out to visit all the tables during the meal. Food quality was excellent and the prices reasonable. It only opens on Sunday evening for pre booked groups

1  Thank magnus645
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My son & I were invited to a family 70th birthday meal at the Skillet restaurant recently- this was the second time we had been there. The food was excellent and really good value for money.
For my starter I had the scallops which were melt in the mouth & it was a hard to choose off a varied & imaginative menu! Everyone in the party of 15 ( a good booking for them) commented on the excellent quality of their food & the service was good - considering the numbers they had to deal with. Would certainly recommend the Skillet as a little hidden gem in the heart of Hayfield.
Here's to our next visit!

2  Thank Paula M
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Really well done food, very quiet restaurant and always a deal on, 2 courses for £12. Will definitely return regularly. Amazing staff. very attentive.

1  Thank Georgina B
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I'll start with the positives. The food here was lovely, 5 of us had a 3 course meal from a set menu which was reasonably priced. I had sweet chilli battered prawns for my starter and they were gorgeous. For my main I had duck with a plum sauce and a sweet potato mash- when I came I wasn't overly impressed it didn't look great. And usually I like my meat well done it came I would say medium at the most. I was told by one of the girls in the group that duck was delicate and that's how it's usually cooked and to just try it before I sent it back asking for it to be cooked a little longer. I'm glad I did, it was lovely and the plum complimented it greatly. There was a good selection of desserts which we all polished off. The chef did come out after to ask what the food was like and if we enjoyed it ect. Nice touch.

Now onto the decor, this place looks like it could do with a refurb - a big one. All the furniture is old and dark and makes it feel cold. The bar is in the main reception/waiting area, which only holds about 10 people before becoming overcrowded. There service staff seemed very young and inexperienced and everything seemed to go at a very slow pace. This became worse when a group of about 20 people came in.

Car parking- what car parking. What a pain, especially when you don't know the area that well, ended up parking right up the road which when blowing a gale in November coldness doesn't start you off well.

I would say if I was in the area I would go but I won't be make any extra special efforts to go again. The car parking & decor let the overall review down.

1  Thank bouchia