“Creative decor and good food”
Review of The Pack Horse

The Pack Horse
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Hayfield
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Pack Horse in Hayfield, a traditional country pub with a cosy and contemporary atmosphere. We serve food all day every day with a menu that changes with the seasons. All our food is prepared fresh to order, and we work closely with our local suppliers to ensure you get the best quality that celebrates our amazing local and seasonal produce.
Manchester, England
“Creative decor and good food”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our table, which we booked in advance, was tucked away in an alcove near the front of the open plan interior. White paint and mirrors added an unusual rather tasteful ambience. So as we felt separate from others in the place, we could at least all look at our own reflections from various angles. The home made minted pea soup, I was assured by my guests, was excellent. My starter was goats cheese and smoked salmon bruschetta and delicious as it was, I think it was actually cheddar cheese but I liked it anyway with its beautifully fresh and well dressed bed of rocket leaves. Good idea that you can order smaller size mains which means you can enjoy starters too without fear of being over faced. My main was sausage and mash. The sausages were slightly tough and chewy but all right. Presentation was very good, elevated from common pub fare and certainly a lot of thought and effort has gone into creating an unusual, creative interior and good pub food. One of my party had lamb and declared it the best he'd ever had. The bill for 4 people for two courses each including 4 drinks and one good coffee was just under 60 quid. I'd go again and a stroll around the village or a more serious walk in the surrounding gorgeous countryside is also highly recommended.

Stockport
“Could not do enough for us.”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We used to visit this pub many years ago, however it's now been taken over, you wouldn't recognise the place it's clean & funky with a short but lovely menu. We turned up unannounced at Christmas with 2 children In tow. They don't do a children's menu but as everything is cooked from scratch they can make any main course in to a child size portion, my kids had a mini burger & mini fish & chips, no rubbish meat used there it was top quality fresh food. I am a vegetarian and was li tied on what to choose so asked the guy at the bar who to,d me to leave it with him, I was so touched to receive the ,oat amazing vegetarian platter with all sorts of unusual bits & bobs curried parsnip soup, cheeses mouse, olives, bread, devilled mushrooms it was amazing. The others in our party had heart hoot...gorgeous. Staff very thoughtful & attentive without being In your face.

3 Thank BarneyMairead
“Lovely food”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

This places is well worth a visit. The food is excellent and service good too, even when it's very busy. I'm busy looking for an excuse to go again.

1 Thank marriottjunkie
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Table for four”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have been here before and thoroughly enjoyed a very nice evening with great food so we decided to go again. A few day before Christmas, the pub was busy with a good atmosphere, firstly we were presented with menus that were filthy full of food and one had a hole in it, we enjoyed a nice starter and for main we all had the festive turkey dinner, when it arrived the presentation was good but the whole meal was covered in a brown sludge, the gravy. Unfortunately it ruined the meal, when asked if the meal was ok we mentioned the gravy and said it was overpowering. The elderly waitress abruptly answered " we'll everybody else likes it!" In between courses we were admiring the table and opened the drawers to find an old mussel, dirty cutlery, an old napkin and half a lemon. We went to the toilet and I went to dry my hands to find the paper towel holder was dirty so I used the Dyson hand dryer, in addition the floor needed a good Hoover. My husband on returning to the table said that he had looked in the Dyson dryer and it was worse than disgusting!! The elderly waitress had revealed to ourselves that whilst taking a meal upstairs she had dropped it but fortunately managed to salvage it!! We decided to leave desert and coffee and promptly left. I spoke with the waitresses that had served us and informed them about our disappointment.

3 Thank Galiant
Manchester, United Kingdom
“1 for the decor - 10 for the food!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

First visit for a few years - we remembered The Pack Horse as a cosy, traditional pub with OTT Xmas decorations. The refurb was a complete shock, and my first reaction was to turn round and walk out. The transparent plastic chairs, coloured spotlights, cream wooden tables and mismatched mirrors on every wall oozed all the sophistication of Barbie's caravan. But I'm glad we stayed! The food is just fantastic. There is a seriously talented chef in the kitchens at the Pack Horse. Food served with style and panache, full of flavour and a superb choice on the menu. My only reservation was the very weak flavourless coffee which was a disappointment. We had enjoyed everything else so much it seemed rude to complain about it. But they do need to get this sorted out. Will definitely be back very soon, hopefully bringing the family. Vegetarians well catered for too. Perhaps they should put the next refurb in the hands of the chef ...... he (or she) clearly knows exactly what he's doing ...

1 Thank Jan C