“Chocolate brownies”

Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Hayfield
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We have been to the cafe for take away food on several occasions over the last few months since moving to the area (take away on the basis that there is a fantastic childrens play area just down the road which is a great place for a picnic). Although we have been left frustrated at the time taken to prepare the food, it is well worth it when it arrives. Sandwiches are always deliciously fresh and tasty, and the Chocolate Brownies.......delightful!

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We stopped at this busy little place for a snack lunch after a walk. The homemade lentil soup was excellent and the accompanying sandwich and banana milk shake was good too.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We have been to this cafe on several occasions, and for a small rural cafe it is outstanding. The cakes and scones are fresh and home baked, you must try the home made jam wow! The only down side to this cafe is that they don't open earlier so we could have coffee before we head onto Kinder.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a small friendly cafe that serves everything. Perfect when you've had a long day walking in the hills.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My visit to this place is without doubt the strangest experience I have ever had in a cafe. We (two adults and two children) were staying in the village in a holiday cottage and wanted to go out for breakfast. The owner of the cottage had left a folder with some recommendations in it and Rosie's was highly recommended.

It's a small place, just a few tables and we knew it could get busy so we arrived a few minutes after it opened at 10am. There were already a couple of other tables occupied. We decided on cooked breakfasts for the adults and some toast for the children. On placing the order, the man (possibly the owner?) suggested that as the cooked breakfast included toast, we didn't need to order extra - we settled on one extra slice of toast overall. He requested that we pay up front, which I was happy enough to do. If you're wondering why so much detail, this bit is relevant!

And then we waited. Our tea and coffee arrived after a little while and we were given cutlery and napkins and assured our food would arrive shortly. And then we waited some more. And some more. We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor warning of the slow service, and the menu specifically mentioned that all food was cooked on request and that a wait was to be expected, so we weren't too concerned. But after about half an hour, our toddler was crying and getting tantrummy, shouting at the top of his voice 'I want my toast, where is my toast?'. We looked over at the man who had taken our order, got a friendly smile, and assumed it was on it's way - he could hardly have failed to have heard the commotion. But still nothing. So I took the toddler for a walk for a few minutes to calm him and stop him annoying the other customers.

On our return, still no food. We waited a bit longer, our toddler cried some more, threw the knives and forks around, and again I had to take him out of the cafe to stop him annoying everyone else. On our return, no food.

At this point, we realised we had been waiting for an hour, Our coffee and tea were long gone, our elder child was miserable (but mercifully quiet!) and our toddler couldn't be consoled. So we gathered our bags and I approached the counter and asked for a refund. And the conversation went like this:

'Sorry? A refund?'
'Yes, for our breakfasts. We didn't get any and we can't wait any longer.'
'But I didn't realise you were wanting to order breakfast'
'But we already have ordered. And paid for it. An hour ago. You took the order, don't you remember? We discussed the extra toast?'
'But I didn't realise you were wanting breakfast'
'But we ordered it. Already. And paid for it. An hour ago. You took the order yourself.'

He was genuinely amazed. He began to look through the papers on the counter and still seemed sure that no breakfast had been ordered. But eventually he found it. And there was our order. It hadn't been passed to the kitchen (which was about three feet away over his shoulder) because he hadn't realised that we wanted food. Which is quite strange in itself, in a cafe at breakfast time. And it was only later that I realised that if he hadn't realised we wanted food, why did he bring us cutlery? Why did he say it would follow shortly after the drinks? And why did the fact that our toddler shouting loudly 'I want my toast' followed by us assuring him it was coming not alert him to the fact that a mistake had been made?

The man seemed utterly bemused by the fact that we were waiting for food. The reason for my second star on the rating is because, to give him his credit, he did apologise profusely and he also refunded the cost of the tea and coffee that we had already drunk. There was no unpleasantness. But it was all so strange. Incidentally, if we hadn't had to pay up front there is no way we would have waited for an hour before deciding to leave, but the fact that we had already paid left us shuffling awkwardly in our seats saying to each other 'we'll give it another couple of minutes, will we?' which with hindsight was silly of us, but for some reason we were the ones who felt embarassed by it.

Now, I know this is a long review, for what is essentially a silly mistake by a cafe, but it was just so so strange that I felt I had to share!

Shame really, because the food that we saw others get actually looked lovely.

6  Thank JLA34