“Magnificent veiws from a Elegant Suite”

Grand Hotel San Michele
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cetraro
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We spent the night here on our way back to Rome and found it was all we could have wanted. Roseanna was charming and helpful when we booked in and out. We had a two room suite with a magnificent ocean view. It was large and very comfortable.

We had a lovely diner with mostly "home grown" selections, it doesn't get any better as far as we are concerned. Our service was very good and were sorry we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laurie B

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I think this is the nicest hotel I have stayed in in Europe. I notice other people have suggested it is a bit shabby. I didn't think that at all. I thought everything was in the nicest taste. It is a big, grand building in a gentle old-fashioned way; what an unusual pleasure! But despite its size it feels homely. The lounge is beautiful, huge, with a long line of arched wondows looking out to sea, with antique furniture pleasantly mixed with unpretentious modern comfortable armchairs, tiled floors, and many friendly kelims. The hotel has large grounds with vines and fruit trees and one can go for quite a long walk effectively in the country and overlooking the sea. The hotel has several well furnished terraces. One of the terraces has a pool with a background of trees and with lots of quality loungers and umbrellas. Walking some distance downhill from the hotel there is an amazing lift that takes two minutes to complete its long journey down to the beach. A previous owner was an hydraulics engineer!. The private beach is charming and well furnished with loungers, also has a restaurant, and service in general ...and plenty of comfortable seating...and changing cabins.
Breakfast was lovely I thought...I personaly don't want a huge spread of low quality stuff...I much prefer what they offered...delicious home made marmalades and jams in big jars to help yourself to, croissants, rather good cake, toast of course, home made ricotta, home made yoghurt in quantity plus honey, as much fruit as you could eat...and yes there was some cheese and ham, but not a huge display. Coffee is as usual a problem when served in quantity (I was with a Page & Moy tour 4th Oct 12) ...it always gets cold too fast. Tea is Ok though.
Dinner always offered a reasonable choice. I thought it was pretty good. They grow their own vegetables. I think all tourist menus for a group are slightly determined by trying to please everybody...but that being said, I thought the food and the friendly service was excellent.
I enjoyed my stay at this hotel enormously. Anyone driving through this area would enjoy a few days relaxation there I feel sure. It is a bit off the beaten track, (3 hours south of Naples). Local towns are quite nice, but not particularly spectacular. The hotel itself was what made it for me. It was such a pleasant environment.
Rooms...none of that maroon-everything and swirling carpets that make you shudder...everything is sparkling clean and light and floors tiled. The back of the hotel has no views worth mentioning and it probably is worth paying a bit more for th view. My friends had a wonderful view without paying extra ...so...matter of luck I guess.
I thought the owners were very nice and indeed the wife had many years ago been a guide for...Page & Moy. They and their son eat in the restaurant in the evening...always a good sign!

Tripadvisor: I would add photos, but there is insufficient instruction.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank jmatcham
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Returned to this lovely, atmospheric and timeless hotel and was not disapppinted. The location, views, and most importantly, the staff make this a very special place.

The locally sourced food is delightful and the staff have no problem offering alternative vegetarianchoices. The bedroom was comfortable and cool. The beach and beach restaurant were my favourite areas & helped make my holiday perfect.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a non-corporate, bland, hotel chain.

Hope to return again next year ;)

Room Tip: Worth paying a little extra for a room at the front
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Elaine853
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here for a week in late September. It's a long drive (3.5 hours) from Naples airport.
The hotel is in very large, well maintained grounds growing a lot of the ingredients used at meal time. The hotel is very isolated and is not within easy walking distance of anywhere so if you like to go for a walk, as we do, after dinner I'm afraid that's not on. The food and cooking is average Italian, nothing exciting or unusual. The breakfast is very basic and if you want an egg it cost an extra four euros !! Having said that the setting for eating breakfast is superb, a balcony with an unrestricted view over the Med. The rooms could do with freshening up and the woodwork (eg doors) needs some work done on them.
The staff are great, very responsive and pro-active.
The owners behaviour was extremely bizarre. He spent all day sitting in a room just inside the hotel entrance occassionally going outside for a cigarette. Whenever a paying guest spoke to him (eg to say buon giorno) he totally blanked them and walked by !!!
The beach, and access to it, is a treat. I would recommend having lunch there everyday, as we did, It's a wonderful setting.
All in all we had a good holiday, but that was down to the weather which was wall to wall sunshine. We will not be rushing back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MauriceFlitcroft
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My stay at the San Michele was the most amazing stay of my life. It was TRUE paradise. Perfect escape from the touristy feel of beautiful (yet-crowded) Rome. The owners made you feel so at home and the entire staff was delightful. Breathtaking view and the beach was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I will definitely be returning soon for another trip soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank carolinemg g
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This iconic establishment has clearly seen better days and it is somewhat of a tragedy that it's past grandeur facilities and position are not properly exploited.

It has a few warts - air conditioning inoperable, no wifi except in one or two common areas, basic and dated furnishings, rock hard beds etc.

If you feel like however stepping back to the 50s and 60s this is your place.

The full board arrangement provides great value as the meals were exceptional - probably the best pasta in Italy!

The access to the beach is fun and yet reasonably efficient and rewards you on arrival.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynden K
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Situated on 45hectares this majestic hotel sits high up on the mountain encompassing full 360 degree view of the Tyrreanian sea, the decore is dated back to the families history and it is run by the family. The rooms are all well decorated with space and comfort in mind and the food was fresh and organic. We thoroughlly enjoyed our stay and the lift to our private beach was an added bonus.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny with private balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tillicans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cetraro
Bouganville Palace Hotel
Hotel Ferretti
#3 of 17 in Diamante
Il Cormorano Exclusive Club & Spa
Hotel Parco dei Principi

Been to Grand Hotel San Michele? Share your experiences!