“Lovely venue and amazing food every visit!!”
Review of The Boars Nest Farmhouse - CLOSED

The Boars Nest Farmhouse
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have visited a few times and every time we get a warm welcome and a delicious meal.
On all are visits the service is always to a high class for me and its the only restaurant I will always squeeze 3 courses in. The food is to die for and the menu will suit anyone even to the point they will happily change things and give advice for a pregnant women like myself.. The service by the staff is again of a high standard and your glass is never empty. Our food was served hot and good portion sizes and the whole table was pleased with there choices and we each had 3 courses.
The views are also amazing whilst your eating your meal even to go for a nice stroll before or after you've eaten.
The atmospheres is so relaxed we sat for 3 hours without a care in the world, we were shocked at the time when we left and didn't realise how long we'd been sat there.
I would highly recommend this restaurant everyday of the week and can't wait to visit again very soon!!!

There are newer reviews for The Boars Nest Farmhouse

Reviewed November 30, 2013

You know that feeling when you have high expectations of a place and it lets you down in a spectacular way? Well, that was our experience in a nutshell.

There were 10 in our party and we chose the Boar's Nest because it was used by a few of us in the past and we had a great experience.

We booked the place in mid November for a neighbourhood get together. All was well until the starters arrived. Token gesture, is the best I can describe it. The quantities were extremely small. I know quantities can be a relative thing but three small chicken livers in a starter and no more that three small lettuce leaves and a minute quantity of blue cheese in another is ridiculous. The soup was nice, I was told.

Then came the main courses and.... where do I start? 2 steaks were ordered, one medium-rare and the other medium to well. Both were undercooked and.....cold. I decided to complain about mine and spoke to a waitress who was very apologetic and took my steak away. She returned promptly and very politely told me that she was sorry and "they were warming it up for me". Shocked by this I waited only to find on my steaks' returned that it had been microwaved making parts of it hot and leathery and others still raw and tepid. Not wishing to cause any further scene and feeling very hungry, I decided to eat whatever was edible and leave the rest.

I had also ordered a portion of vegetables (you'd expect this to be included with a small steak that couldn't have weighed more than 6oz and costs £20). The beans serves (5 in total) were frizzled and dried at the edges but the turnip looked quite nice until i started to eat it. I found myself chewing on some hard inedible stuff, which turned out on inspection to be pumpkin seeds in their shells. Yes, honest! It seemed that the chef did not appreciate that the seeds had to be shelled and roasted before adding to the turnip to give it a crunch. A fine example of trying to be clever and fancy but not knowing what the heck you're doing!

Others who ordered the lamb said afterwards that their meat was cold but having seen what the others had to put up with decided not to complain as theirs was, at least, just edible.

Amongst our party were a couple who ran pubs and catering for decades and a lady who cooks for choice clientele. They were all of the view that our food experience was a clear indication of a poorly-managed kitchen. We may have forgiven one poor meal as a slip up, but to be consistently terrible on the majority of our food is unforgivable.

Two of us complained to the manageress who was very apologetic and decided not to charge us for the steaks. Although that was accepted it did nothing to remedy the terrible disappointment felt by us all.

Another mark of this place's poor management are the sink taps in both the ladies' and gents' toilets. Both were loose! You’d probably have forgiven this if this was a town centre pub, but not at the Boar’s Nest.

If there were any redeeming features to the Boar's Nest's experience, it would be the impeccable and professional service, and the pleasant ambiance.

Will any of us go again? Never!

2  Thank Abulkeek
Boars_Nest_Farmhouse, Owner at The Boars Nest Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

In response to your reviewed comments, in brief; reference portion sizes as a whole, these are reflected on the prices paid. The Bistro format & execution of our dishes have been met with a warm appraisal since the change of direction earlier this year. Also, the size of portions are a matter of opinion.

With regards to the “Cold rib eye steak"; all of our steaks are char grilled and leave the grill direct. A medium to rare meat will never be “piping hot”. We are always more than happy to heat further on our grill, we don't use a microwave. Twice cooked protein will always be detrimental to the product. Any credible critic will comprehend.

The expectation of “free veg’” - Should you purchase a pair of shoes, irrespective of the price, would you expect complimentary socks? £10.00 for a 6oz steak is relevant in my opinion.

Gratitude is given for your summarising comment (re; service as a whole) . I really enjoyed serving your table.

Dina
Proprietor/Owner (not manageress)

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Our lunch weekday at the Boars Nest was delicious. Perfectly cooked, good size portions and reasonably priced.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Booked for Christmas day lunch. We went for Sunday lunch to check it out. The reviewer Jondanby36 who did the "NEVER AGAIN!!!" review was there at the same time. The service was non-existent. The food was meagre and cold. We didn't have a starter and, due to the poor service, decided to give the sweet a miss too. We left the restaurant and asked for the bill and were left standing in the bar waiting for it which we were told numerous times was "on its way" . We finally got it after a 15 minute wait. The whole sorry experience from arriving to leaving took 2 hours.
After I got home I rang to cancel the Christmas day booking. It was answered by a gruff male who said " no problem! and put the phone down before I had chance to ask about return of the deposit, so I rang again. Answered this time by a much more pleasant lady who said it was their policy not to return deposits, so this time I slammed the phone down this time. To their eternal credit she rang me back and explained that it was their policy not to return deposits unless the table was booked later which she had been able to do and she returned my £40 deposit on my debit card.

4  Thank Spitbuilder
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went on quiet evening. The staff were very welcoming. The food was good and very well presented. There are nice touches like being able to order smaller carafs of wine. Overall a thoroughly pleasant evening.