“Cave Castle - Stay Well Clear”

Cave Castle Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in South Cave
Reviewed September 1, 2008

If your thinking of booking Cave Castle - think again. My sister and her husband booked a restaurant reservation for 25 people to celebrate their Silver Wedding Anniversary and six rooms for those who wanted to stay overnight. This was booked over a year ago. My sister paid a deposit of £120 at the time of booking.
Three weeks before they we were all due to go to the celebrations there was a very bad review of the hotel in the supplement of the local paper. It was simply awful. This sent alarm bells ringing and prompted me to go to the tripadvisor to make further investigations. Couldn't believe what I read, it just went from bad to worse. There was no way we could risk going there, this was supposed to be an enjoyable happy occasion evening to celebrate my sister and brother-in-law's silver wedding.
They returned from holiday and I showed her the reviews. She and her husband paid Cave Castle a visit a week before the party only to be told the reservation in the restaurant had been cancelled. They had the Bedroom reservations, but no restaurant booking. My sister was totally stressed out.
There was a wedding on at the time of their vist, a lot of people were complaining about various things and there was absolutely no atmosphere and it was completely dead. My sister and her husband saw the general manager (who didn't seem to know what he was doing) and cancelled the whole lot and got their deposit back.

Lucky for them they managed to book another Venue, The Village Hotel, which we are all going to this coming weekend..... I'm sure it will be lovely - DON'T GO TO CAVE CASTLE

Clarkie - Beverley - 1 September 2008

• Stayed: August 2008
7  Thank clarkfc

Reviewed August 26, 2008

Our daughter had a memorable wedding experience at this hotel. The hotel delivered everything we had asked for and arranged; communication throughout was very good. The drinks and canapes were served on the lawn the minute the wedding party arrived from the church. The wedding organiser was always available and managed the event seamlessly and courteously; the food was well presented and delicious. All our guests admired the venue and those who stayed in the rooms had no complaints about their rooms or service. In fact several commented on the excellent restaurant.The bride and groom were delighted with their day and were well satisfied with the service at Cave Castle.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank Pamelena
Reviewed August 19, 2008

A few weeks ago I attended my Sister's Wedding Reception at this stunning hotel. She had been planning her wedding for over 18 months in order to create her 'perfect fairytale wedding' unfortunatley things did not go to plan...
When my sister first booked the venue she spent lots of time with the wedding planners (Sally & Claire) and she was convinced she had picked the venue which would make sure she had a day to remember, over the next few months she had may visits and telephone calls with Sally and Claire and was extremely happy with how the plans were going.
We was completely shocked when in March a receptionist at the hotel informed us the wedding planners had been made redundant and not been replaced. My Sister immediatley made an appointment with a function manager as she had not yet decided on her final details, at the appointment it was confirmed Sally & Claire had been made redundant from the company and their jobs were been carried out by existing staff at the hotel. During the meeting she spent over an hour going through all her menu choices, timimgs and all detiails for the day. A few days later she received her details in writing along with an invoice. She was so shocked to learn the hotel had put the prices up without prior notice, also the invoice was completely wrong! Every time she tried to contact the hotel she was told there was nobody in the events office and someone would call her back, this never happened. It became clear her wedding was no longer important to the hotel.
When it came to the BIG day we were all nervous, the manager running the day (Alex) was worse than useless, she had wet hair, her clothes full of dog hairs, she had no manners and basically didn't give a stuff about the wedding. We arrived from Church 10 minutes ahead of time, we were amazed to find the staff still vacuming the red carpet! the arrival drinks and canapes were not ready infact it was 1/2 hour before we saw the canapes been served. After the photogrpahs we were called through for the reception, the seating plan had the wrong date on it, the placecards were in the wrong places on the tables and the menu cards had numerous spelling mistakes.
The meal was o.k. if you like small portions, overcooked vegetables and bought-in desserts.
After the reception all the guests left the room so the staff could get ready for the evening party, it took the hotel over 1 1/2 hours before we could get back into the room. It wasn't until this time that we realized the cake had not been cut. My Sister mentioned it to Alex who casually said ' oh I forgot that bit' The cake was later served with the buffet, not giving anyone a chance to take photos. The buffet was a long table of deep fried food, very greasy and unattractive. Most guests didn't bother eating what a waste of over £1000.
At the end of the night when my sister and her new husband went up to the bridal suite, they were amazed to find they had been put in the wrong room! they called down to reception and was advised they could not be moved as the hotel was full and all the guests had checked in.
My room was suppose to be a Superior Room @ £110.00, I would not call it a basic room never mind a superior room, there was a false window which did not open, dirty bed sheets, dirty cups and the bin had not been emptied from the previous guests.
At breakfast the following morning we were all ready to speak to the hotel manager, we could not believe it when we found out Alex was on duty again.
Breakfast was o.k if you like it school dinners style with a wait for tea and toast.
After returning from honeymoon my sister hastried to contact the hotel manager (Mr Fuller) on many occasions however he never seems to be at work or return any of their calls. She is still waiting for a reply from her complaint letter.

If you are reading this before you book your wedding, take my advice and book elsewhere, if your wedding is booked at the hotel you need to be asking them serious questions to make sure the same does not happen to you.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SarahEastYorkshire
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed for three days with no problem. A fun building to stay in, beautiful grounds and cute town center within about a 10 min walk. They had a good restaurant and bar and it was comfortable and clean. It does seem to be a popular event spot. The first night the wedding party was very loud with a band playing late, granted we had the windows open for a breeze. There are ducks to feed on the grounds which was fun as well.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank ApothoKeri
Reviewed August 1, 2008

We stayed at Cave Castle for a wedding, had it not been for this I would never have stayed.
The actual outside of the building and the grounds are lovely and as you drive up you think you are in for a treat, however you walk through the doors and your illusion is shattered.

They charge between £110 - £150 per night and I can tell you that it is sooo not worth the money, I have stayed in some absolutely gorgeous 5 star properties for a lot less money, It is a total rip off

The reception area is very tired and dark and need a total makeover (as does most of the hotel) .
We were allocated a room in the extension to the hotel and therefore quite modern in appearance, unfortunatley it was very dirty the cleaners had obviously had a rest in this room!! Problems we found were:
Carpet was total grafted, it looked like it had not been cleaned for at least a week.
The bed covers were very stained
The bathroom mirror was that dirty you could bearly see through it
Dust everywhere
And finally TOE NAIL clippings on the carpet in the bathroom!!!

When the manager arrived he had no choice but to agree with our evaluation of the room and said he would get someone up to clean the room, I had to insisit this was not acceptable as where would we go as we had a recpetion to go to, so eventually agreed to moving us.

We moved to a castle room, which was slightly better still dirty it had confetti and foil love hearts on the carpet from I suppose the last wedding party in that room, there was a dirty hanky stuck to a piece of furnitue and again TOE NAIL clipping on the sink (seriously what is that all about)!!
The room was very dated and the bed squeaked if you as much as moved a fingernail, we had to ram my husbands sock in the door to stop to rattling all night...
Oh I could go on but I think you get the picture...

Anyway I am glad the bride and groom had a lovely wedding and luckily their room was ok.

If money was spent on the hotel it could be absolutley wonderful, it needs a total face list and some decent cleaners.

We were not the only ones complaining I heard others to, so the moral of the story is - stay at your peril....

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TracieEastYorkshire
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My husband and I and my daughter and her partner arranged to stay at this hotel at the end of May as we were attending a family party nearby. I was told at the time of booking there were 2 weddings but they did have 2 superior double rooms available that I booked. My daughter arrived first only to find that the rooms were twins not doubles as booked, and confirmed in writing, and eventually they found 2 doubles for us. When my husband and I arrived we were given our key and told our room was that way and on the top floor she thought. Luckily my daughter knew the way! On entering the room it had a musty, smoky smell to it and no no smoking sign on the door. Whilst changing to go out I discovered talcum powder on the floor - I don't use talcum powder! Then, on closer inspection the whole floor was unvacuumed. The bathroom had not been cleaned properly either (no fold on the loo paper!) I rang reception to ask them to clean the room whilst we were out in the evening. When we got back the floor had been vacuumed. In the morning, upon taking the bathmat from the side of the bath I discovered a jagged hole in the bath panel and ground in dirt also. There are a few other things I could say but I am sending a letter of complaint to the manager so I cannot go into them all. Our overall impression was these were definately not superior rooms for the cost of £130 per room per night.
Whilst we were away for this weekend we found much better quality of service and accommodation at less than half the price in other bed and breakfast establishments from Castleton to Whitby.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Moonraker2008
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I enjoyed my stay here. I worked in this area for a few months and tried many different hotels, in many respects this was a favourite.
Driving up the driveway the hotel cuts an impressive profile, it cant fail to make you smile. Castle to the left Golf course to the right.
It has all the mod cons you'd expect from a modern hotel with some in character twists. The main entrance has big wooden doors opening into a wooden and stone reception area, big roaring open fire, suits of armour and the odd stags head.
I stayed in 3 very different types of room during my visits. Some rooms are in character with the old castle theme, some are uber modern and others slightly less modern. My favourite were the modern which were extremely comfortable, but all rooms were pleasant enough and had there charm.
If I had to make one criticism, I thought the restaurant menu was uninspiring and over priced, they could do a better and really should, as 5 minutes walk from the hotel will get you to a couple of decent pubs offering well priced good food.

• Stayed: December 2007
#1 of 1 in Little Weighton
Village Hotel Club Hull
Village Hotel Club Hull
#4 of 20 in Kingston-upon-Hull

Been to Cave Castle Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!