“Who wouldnt want to stay in a castle?”

Cave Castle Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in South Cave
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I enjoyed my stay here. I worked in this area for a few months and tried many different hotels, in many respects this was a favourite.
Driving up the driveway the hotel cuts an impressive profile, it cant fail to make you smile. Castle to the left Golf course to the right.
It has all the mod cons you'd expect from a modern hotel with some in character twists. The main entrance has big wooden doors opening into a wooden and stone reception area, big roaring open fire, suits of armour and the odd stags head.
I stayed in 3 very different types of room during my visits. Some rooms are in character with the old castle theme, some are uber modern and others slightly less modern. My favourite were the modern which were extremely comfortable, but all rooms were pleasant enough and had there charm.
If I had to make one criticism, I thought the restaurant menu was uninspiring and over priced, they could do a better and really should, as 5 minutes walk from the hotel will get you to a couple of decent pubs offering well priced good food.

• Stayed: December 2007

Reviewed November 4, 2007

This is a charming place, that's been updated and upgraded, but mercifully spared total modernisation such as the ubitquios white double glazing windows.

Have dinner there if you are tired and want an easy life, or no driving. Food is so so, a little bland. Restaurant looks nice, staff attentive, atmosphere a little dead (best fun seemed to be in the kitchen as we overheard the staff banter!)

We had a standard room and it was OK. Nice bathroom with bath, only disapointment was the bed - old, flat and uncomfortable. We stayed at the front, overlooking the car park - I'd say it could get nosiy with cars and the smokers chatting under your window.

I think this place would appeal to tourists who like something traditionally 'English'.

A good bed and I would definately consider staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Baby2
Reviewed October 17, 2007

All in all the hotel was OK.
Superior room was alright but by no means superior. (very like many STANDARD rooms I've stayed in)
The staff were all very polite and the food nice with the desserts being to die for.

Swimming pool and gym were very clean and all in working order.

BUT ....... WARNING ..... If staying on a night when the hotel has a wedding don't expect to use the bar. It soon filled and became crowded with revellers allowing no room for a quiet drink.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This was to be a treat, a night away from the children, quiet surroundings and welcoming staff. Unfortunately the experience did not live up to the hype on the hotel website. The "superior" room was comfortable, clean and nicely furnished but lacked the special extras which should have gone with the relatively high tarrif.
The stuffy, uninterested staff, especially at breakfast made us feel unwelcome and unimportant. The food was uninspiring. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who was looking for a special experience.

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank Drakesenvoy
Reviewed July 30, 2007

I got married here in June 2007 and was really impressed by the staff and hotel until the day of the wedding.

The problems started with minor things, music not playing that we had requested, guests from the other wedding on our patio area, food being dropped on guests by the staff during the meal.

I first thought things weren't right when we were led into the room in which our meal was to be served to see all of the waiting staff sat casually round our tables chatting, I didn't think this was very professional considering the money we had paid to be there.
During the day it was brought to my attention that the contents of some of the favours we had made had been removed and replaced with marshmallows! This had only happened at the tables which the staff had been sat at before the meal.
Later in the evening I went to speak to the man looking after our function to complain about this, he responded to me by yelling and shouting at me in full view of passing guests that his staff would not steal from favour boxes and that I was over reacting by complaining. He completely humiliated me and left me stood in floods of tears.

My husband went to speak to him to try and calm him only for him to storm out of the hotel across the car park yelling he had had enough of his job and was handing his notice in!

He eventually returned to the hotel and came with my husband up to a room where I was sat with my two sleeping children, still crying from the earlier events. He apologised for speaking the way he had but then ended his apology with "anyway, you should just be grateful that you can have children because I have been trying for years and can't"

A couple of days after the wedding we sent a letter of complaint and received no reply until 3 weeks later after our second letter. The lady dealing with our complaint has been fantastic but it should never have got to this.

Don't use this hotel if you want your wedding to be a special day!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank mrs_b25
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I was set on having a castle so that i could be treated like a princess for my dream wedding!

All went well and the venue was booked 18 months in advance, however a month before the wedding the staff started to be quite unhelpful and later very rude. Finding a manager to speak to is impossible because they all call themselves managers. (how many managers can one venue have?) Things started to worry me when they wanted to charge me £20 per baby because they werent eating (a childs meal cost me £16) I was told one week before the wedding after trying to negotiate pay it or we'll cancel it, blackmailed. I managed to get it down to £10 x11 for them to do nothing even though there terms and conditions just states minimum of 80 guests in the daytime and there is no mention that this excludes babies or that it means 80 meals. They where very clear they only cared about my money and not my wedding day.

The wedding day got worse many things went wrong but the worst was not getting the red carpet treatment instead i had to use the side entrance because the other wedding party's bride had been late and was on my red carpet (I chose the times first as i booked first and was told i got priority so i was their at 2 like agreed and was then made to wait till this other bride had finished, it ruined the whole day. Food was late people had to leave before speeches to take home elderly and children and get taxis that where booked when the day do should have finished. no one was hungry for buffet because we ate the wedding breakfast so late (arranged 3.30pm delivered 5pm.) buffet was in the dark, and sliced cake was put out and no one knew so got waisted. Food was cold (member of staff let it slip that everything was ready but no staff to bring out the food as they were not finished with the late brides party.

I have been made to feel inferior to the other wedding party, and do not know why they allowed them to ruin my wedding when I my groom and my guests where all on time and made to wait.

My memory of my wedding day is bad and its not as if i can just have another one and it cost me over £4500 which i have had to borrow on a personal loan.

I am going to write to them and give them the chance to try and make things better as nothing will componsate for the way the day turned out due to their incompetence.

• Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank wilkinscruton
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Liz, West Yorkshire
17th June 2007
We have just returned home after a lovely weekend stay at Cave Castle with some friends. The staff are very friendly, food excellent, rooms could not be faulted. Our room was very well furnished, with a comfortable bed, good shower and bath. Obviously a lot of work has been put into this hotel recently and it shows. The courtyard and the swimming pool area are great. Also good golf course, our men managed to play despite torrential rain for a couple of days prior to our visit. There was a wedding on, but we were not unduly disturbed by this. The surrounding area is lovely. We shall certainly be back for further visits. It is a great find.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Rowley Manor Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Weighton
Beverley Tickton Grange Hotel
Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel

Been to Cave Castle Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!