“Relaxed and Hospitable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Mama Hilda

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chugchilan
Hostal Mama Hilda
Mexico City, Mexico
“Relaxed and Hospitable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed at Mama Hilda's in August 2011. Chugchilan is a small, remote village with few conventional options for accommodation, although more appear to be coming. The main attractions are the scenery and hiking in the area, and the atmosphere at Mama Hilda matches the character of the location. This is a welcoming, truly hospitable location and the owners, management and staff are friendly and genuinely concerned for your welfare. Congenial public spaces make this an excellent spot for meeting other travellers - a good thing, since sharing transportation is often essential and it helps to get to know others in the same situation: cars are scarce, and buses out of the region keep a time table designed to favour dawn arrivals in distant towns.

Breakfast and dinner are included in the rate and the kitchen is happy to prepare meals at other times of the day if you need them. The food is satisfying and served family-style at shared tables. Other guests were in the main European and very experienced travellers.

Rooms vary in size and comfort. We managed to book ours by phone with only a few days notice at a particularly busy time of the year; it was the only room available and it worked just fine. It was simple and spare but clean and comfortable and the rates are excellent (note: you will need cash). Those looking for more may need to reconsider their decision to visit this region. You need to look beyond worn sheets and towels in this part of the country, but you will find copious amounts of hot water and an attentive staff.

The compound is safe and pleasant. You can get your laundry done. The hotel recommended walking trips and helped arrange for transportation when we needed it (you need to do this as far in advance as you can). This is a very beautiful region - and only incorporated into the fabric of national life within the very recent past. Go now before it changes much more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

The location is very good for visiting quilotoa loop. It is possible to rent horses for excursion in the area. The rate is cheap and the manager and all the people are friendliness. Food is good.The hotel and the place is safe. The hotel provide transportaion to reach the quilotoa but you can reach the volcano by feet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
UAE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Went to Mama hildas. It is in the middle of no where. We took horses up to the Quilatoa Lake and I believe they were a bit mistreated. Looked a bit under fed and scrawny. The Room itself had about 30 seconds of hot water and then it went cold. The food was ok, I would not eat it back home if I had a choice but over there it was sufficient. The staff did seem nice enough though. If you intend to travel around by hiring a car, the hostel next door will give better prices.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JonDRussell, PA at Hostal Mama Hilda, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Good morning Teargas,

Many thanks for your comments, I will certainly look into the issue of the cold water in your room. We have made great efforts to ensure each room has hot running water at all times, but it may be that the gas bottle used to heat the water ran out at the exact time you were trying to take a shower.

In regards to your comment about our horses, I can categorically tell you that our horses are well cared for, and well fed. Horses in Ecuador are generally much smaller than their European / American cousins. They are treated very well at all times - if they were not I can assure you that my 7 year old son would have something to say to his grandfather about it.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels around Ecuador.

Thanks,

Jon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I spent a great time
here and particularly enjoyed the friendly and welcoming vibe. makes you feel part of the family straight away! incredible scenery too and the horse tour was definately worth it!

• Stayed August 2011
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

We really liked the design, decoration and enviroment of the place. The rooms are nice and clean, while the common area in the front is well decorated. When staying there some of the kids of the village came to dance for us to Mamma Hilda´s. It was really funny.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Hostal Mama Hilda is hands down the best place to stay in Chugchilan. It is a quaint, reasonably priced retreat in the middle of the towering Andes Mountains. Meals are quite good. We stayed in a double room without private bath. It was very basic- a double bed, side table, and a light overhead- but suited our needs perfectly. The staff was fairly friendly and accommodating, but seemed flustered at times. At one point our hot water ran out but they were very efficient in fixing it promptly. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Banos, Ecuador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Unfortunately, I did not have a very positive experience at Hostal Mama Hilda. My friends were together in one big room and I was to have a single. The room they finally put me in was way upstairs, broken toilet, no water pressure in the shower, and a huge drafty gap under the door (brr!) Even though I told three different people about the bathroom issues, they were never addressed. I agreed to stay there for the night, but I asked them to move me to another room for the next night, and stashed my bags in my friends' room before we set off for the day. I dropped them at the crater to hike back, and drove the truck back to Mama Hilda's to wait for them. I asked if they'd open the room so I could get my bags, but they were unable to find a key. Mama Hilda's response to me was "You gringos keep walking off with my keys and I don't have any more copies - it's your friends' fault for not leaving their key behind" Nowhere ever were guests advised to do so. Needless to say they were unable to clean my friends' room and I had to wait for hours without my things. I was told by one employee that I could take either of two downstairs rooms, so I would have to navigate the staircase. As I was settling in another woman came and told me (rudely) that's not a single. You have to go upstairs. I moved up to the indicated room, and had to ask twice for them to bring me a padlock & key. the managers all behaved in a very unfriendly manner toward me and my friends after the room change/no key fiasco. In both rooms where I stayed the bathrooms smelled like sewers. I commented to the girl that cleaned the rooms that she should remove the half-used slivers of soap from the shower, and this seemed like news to her. The shower walls and mirrors were scummy, the bed linens were not long or wide enough and rode up during the chilly night, They have several dogs roaming the premises but don't seem to bother cleaning up the poop. My friends' daughter stepped in some and tracked it into the room so it was doubly unfortunate that they didn't have a key to clean their room. In the common living room area there is a big 10 gallon water dispenser (empty). When I asked it there was water they told me that I had to buy one of their environmentally unfriendly small plastic bottles, and they do not permit you to bring your own beverage to meals so that they can sell you more. I found the overall attitude to be less than helpful in all matters. I am a driver and guide and they made a big mistake in treating me so badly.

Room Tip: get a room with a woodstove and ask them to light it for you during dinner.