“A dream come true”

Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Mitaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The brainchild of award-winning Japanese animation director Hayao Miyazaki, this museum includes a theater showing film excerpts, a whimsical children's play zone, a rooftop garden, and exhibits related to his movies, including Spirited Away.
Melbourne
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“A dream come true”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The ride to Mitaka was easy from Shinjuku. I had bought tickets from Japanican in Australia before we left, so had our spot reserved for the day. Upon arrival we quickly found the shuttle bus stop and bought our tickets from the vending machine. The exterior was immediately inviting with organic architecture covered in vines. Inside was a delight with little surprises everywhere. The gift shop was a thrill for someone from Australia, especially the Noritake cups. The restsurant fills up quickly, but the Ghibli hot dogs and beer from the fast food window were delish!

Visited September 2013

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Chiba, Japan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You should go there at least once in your life!!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Ghibli Museum is in Mitaka, Tokyo. Many things about Ghibli is displayed and you can buy souvenir of Ghibli in there. I show you some points of it.

There are many Ghibli characters in there, for example, sttained glasses, ceilings, walls, and so on. They are hidden. Searching them is one of the ways that you enjoy, and also you can find new Ghibli characters that are so cute.

A lot of exhibits about Ghibli are in there. They are very valuable. You can see incredible technology that is used in Ghibli anime now. It must be a wonderful opportunity for you.

You can watch a short film (take about 15 minutes) at once when you visit there. The stories are changed every a month, and these were made by Hayao Miyazaki who is legendary director. If you watch them, you feel so peaceful. And this theater has one more good point. It is that you can see the projector is used by the projectionist.

I recommend you to visit there!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank kobear7
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
151 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“for anime lovers”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

i love anime when i was a child but when a was in highschool upto now i dont have interest anymore, yet a travel buddy from saudi who is a big big fan of japanese anime insist we visit this place, we are not aware that reservation is required and tickets can only be cought from the Lawson nearby, it was too crowded with lots of small children, we travelled almost 1 hour by train from Sukiji where our hotel is located, the staff said that they the museum is soldout that day, my saudi friend is so disappointed but the lady staff asked us from which country we came from , we told her we're from saudi and she check my friend's passport and explained to her that its our last day in japan, then she ask her supervisor if we could get in, after 15mins she came back to us and gave us a small note for us to buy tickets (1000yen/person) at the nearby lawson and we were able to get in, pretty crowded inside, lots of tourist from around the world with small children, animation process and nice, we watch a 17min anime feature with no english sub-title but you can easily understand what the story is all about, souvenirs are sold inside, no photo allowed even mobile phone, you can only take photo of the facade from outside the museum.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Inspiring!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I found the museum to be one of the most inspiring places I've ever been, and I think even people without prior knowledge of Studio Ghibli will still thoroughly enjoy their visit.
Be sure to watch the exclusive twenty minute animation in the Saturn Theatre. Even if you don't speak a word of Japanese, the animation is so good you'll still understand the main jist of the story.
A particular highlight for me was the mock up of Miyazaki-san's work room, which is floor to ceiling of sketches, diagrams, photos, and models.

Make up for not being able to take photos inside by visiting the reading room and picking up a copy of the museum book (available in English or Japanese) which is full of photos and the inspiration behind the museum.

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A very magical experience!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Being someone who loves Miyazaki's films, this place was somewhere I HAD to go and I left with absolutely no regrets but a new found appreciation for Studio Ghibli films.

Miyazaki created such a magical place for everyone to enjoy and explore in this quaint little museum intricately decorated with stained glass windows of characters and paintings on the ceiling - the attention to detail is overwhelming. I don't want to describe too much because this is indeed somewhere you HAVE to be there to grasp the full Ghibli experience. I actually picked this over visiting Disney Sea and I have no regrets! If you love Ghibli, architecture and/or art in general, it's a MUST SEE. Plus, the entrance fee was only 1000 JPY! However, this museum isn't particularly big and you don't actually need much time to wander around the whole place - I'd say a solid 2 hours is enough including the short movie exclusively premiered at the museum.

It is generally quite difficult to get tickets if you are a foreigner like me with no friends in Tokyo and know no Japanese so, I'd recommend you to get in touch with Bridge Japan with a little extra charge for processing and transportation etc. They were incredibly efficient and sent the tickets straight over to my hotel.

The gift shop also sold some really nice kitchenware like cups and plates for a rather decent price. I got myself a delicate Ponyo cup for about 1600JPY and a Chibi Totoro mini plush for 1050 JPY.

Also, this museum is located inside Inokashira Park and it is about a 30 - 45 minute walk from Kichijoji Station so, if you have time, take a stroll in the park too! The signage to the museum was very clear and very frequent so you don't have to worry about getting lost at all. Otherwise, you can take the JR Line to Mitaka Station and it should be a 5 - 10 minute walk. Apparently there is a shuttle bus too but I'm not entirely sure about that.

1 Thank Daphnie L