“Feel like a child again”
Review of Ghibli Museum

Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Mitaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The brainchild of award-winning Japanese animation director Hayao Miyazaki, this museum includes a theater showing film excerpts, a whimsical children's play zone, a rooftop garden, and exhibits related to his movies, including Spirited Away.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Studio Ghibli Museum is a must visit for animation fans. I believe you will enjoy the visit more if you know at least some of Miyazaki's movies, though. But if you're a fan, like us, you really have to go! They put so much work, effort, passion, and love in creating a truly magical little place out there in Mitaka. Great to visit with (even smaller) children. Wonderful museum shop with Totoro plushes as far as the eye can see, and the prices are quite moderate, compared to other merchandise you encounter in Tokyo. It's like chasing down the rabbit hole, turning back into a kid, eyes wide open, full of wonder and excitement. I'm getting sentimental only thinking about it. Really, if you like Studio Ghibli's movies, don't miss their museum!

There are newer reviews for Ghibli Museum

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I love the museum itself. Kids really enjoyed being there. My kids can't read japanese so it was little hard for me that i had to read and translate for themfor everything but it worth to just look and walk around. Food was expensive so feed yourself before you go. We walked from the museum to kichijoji station through inogashira park and that was a nice walk. Stoped at the pond and rode a boat.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

When my children (17-22yr old) told me they wanted to go to an anime museum I was very skeptical. I don't watch anime and didn't really care about it. However, it was a trip with two of my daughters so I agreed to go with them.

I found the Ghibli Museum far more interesting than I expected. Yes, for those who like the characters and movies and such there is a special thrill, but the Museum is more than a place for Ghibli fans, it's a celebration of the art of film and animation. Watching film go through machines and get projected in various ways was interesting. Further, going through an artists "office" was far more interesting than I expected. I just wish there was a lot more explanation in English. However, it was fun to guess what was explained and asking my daughter if I got it right.

The Museum is a first class location. Comfortable (finding places to sit in Japan isn't easy!) nice bathrooms, beautiful building and decorations. We were there for almost 3 hours, FAR longer than I expected!

At about $10 US, it's one of the better values available. Getting tickets was easy as I have a daughter living in Japan, but I'm told they are easy to buy online. Get them early, as they only allow so many, and your visit has a time window on arrival - although we arrived 30 min early and they let us in. Easy to get to via public transportation, a big park is next to the Museum so we walked from the train station.

Photos are not allowed inside. They have a bookstore, and gift shop that were doing VERY brisk business the day we visited. There is a slight bias for younger children, but my kids had a blast.

A final bonus -- you exchange your entry voucher for a "Ticket" which is actually a real piece of Ghibli movie film, mine had 3 frames on it. It's the only ticket of our 2 week trip I saved.

It was an unexpected surprise, I'm glad I went!

1  Thank Windslow548
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ghibli Museum is a smaller attraction that has some interesting exhibits but was ultimately disappointing in its lack of English language support and few references to earlier films such as Spirited Away and Ponyo. Although we can't be sure because the films titles were not the same in the Japanese and English versions. The location was easy to get to but is a good subway ride away from central Tokyo. The cafe is very limited in size and in menu items, but the ice cream available outside the cafe was perfect for the hot humid day we were there. We obtained our tickets in the US and had no problem getting into the museum. There is a free short film although entirely in Japanese. The exhibits were all in Japanese. I would recommend this only for die-hard fans of Miyasaki or if you have a translator with you.

1  Thank buchabob
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We expected to meet Totoro and other characters to take photo together or experience something from the scenes of each Ghibli animation film, but nothing like that was there. There were only exhibitions of how anime is made. If you love to see how the lenses work and what animation films actually means, there is something to see or experience for you, not necessarily Ghibli work. None of us are into how to make one, so very boring. Children can play in the "Neko bus", but adults have to stay out. First generation of people who fell in love with Totoro characters are now all into adulthood, so why we are excluded?

We booked the tickets three months ahead, looked forward to it, but it was so disappointing for us and we felt it was a waste of our precious time. We quickly had to decide a plan B and left the place. We must have expected too much from this place.

3  Thank Enjoydifference