“Excellent Cathrin, Rhodes, Greece”
Review of Cathrin Hotel

Cathrin Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ladiko
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Wonderful holiday - extraordinary location of the hotel within walking distance of two beautiful beaches (Ladiko, Anthony Quinn). Excellent quality, excellent accomodation, plenty and varied food, excellent staff (ladies in the reception, the manager of the restaurant, Katarina from the restaurant, Nadia from the pool bar). Very friendly and at any moment willing to make you feel comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank DrKop
There are newer reviews for Cathrin Hotel

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have never stayed here but each year i have friends stay so i come to meet them here through the summer.I have to say i have never known such rude "off" 2 reception staff in a hotel as the 2 ladies that man the reception.
They are the 1st person most people see,and believe me if they are having a bad day you know it.....
not a good 1st impression for a hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kb5866
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed one week in Aug2012, we booked only three days before leaving (from and to Berlin).
Family of three with our two-year-old.

We are basically not the type for a hotel-pool-halfboard type of holiday... so keep that in mind.

The room we had was OK, large balcony. Thin door to neighbouring room, not very lively neighbours, luckily.

The food is OK, but just that. I was expecting somewhat more tasty. Repetitive at times and made for many guests with economy in mind. In the end I gave up on the fish, meat, pasta etc. is OK. Drinks a bit too expensive. Special greek night with barbecue at an extra feed (not in halfboard included)

We liked very much the minimarket, where you find all necessary supplies incl. icecream and drinks.

The in-room safe had a fee - no deposit - of 20EUR to use it. That was a real surprise to me.

Staff: Nice waiters, though reception was a behaving a bit reserved, not very welcoming your questions.

Wifi at a fee, I find to be acceptable only if you really need to go online.

Our daughter enjoyed the pool, one seperate and warmer at 60cm depth was a perfect fit. Though the joints between tiles were overgrown(?) by some slippery algea(?). Not causing any problem to us. Didn't recognise much chlorine.

Public bus to Rhodes town is OK to use, but can be very full. Watch out not to miss out where the bus on the way back leaves.

The walk to the beaches broke us a sweat, the gravel beach was a bit too steep for our little one. Very scenic and crowded, though. 8EUR for two sunbeds.

Room Tip: We had 115 (?), facing to the entrace. That makes you hear the buses and scooters. But more importan...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ru M
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Dispite the fact the staff continued to speak German to us (except 2) and we were the only british folk staying there at the time, we thought this hotel was spot on.

The only down points was lack of information at check in. We found the following points and feel this should be shared.

* Where the room was (poor signage)
* Location of lifts to the other floors (round the corner to the left of the reception, no signage)
* Sliding doors must be closed for AC to work (no signage to explain)
* Cold water tap must be run for about 5 mins for cold water to flow (nothing to explain this)
* Where the pool was (we found it by chance when lost looking for room)
* Local bus to Faliraki/Rodos goes by at 9:20am
* Hotel shuttle bus runs in the morning to Ladiok Bay and Anthony Quinn bay (not sure on times)
* Wifi is not included in charge
* The Gym is not included in price, this was 6 Euro each day and open daft hours.
* Food in restaurant can not be eaten elsewhere in hotel. Cost of drinks in restaurant at evining meal are over priced (3.40E for 2 small bottles of water when a 1.5L bottle can be bought in mini market for 80c)
* Greek night is not included in half board, this costs 8Euro per person.
* A photographer will be present on sunday evenings, expect to be sold photos the following morning at about 24 Euro. The photographer only takes cash!

Overall teh room was cleaned everyday and not risk of security. I had my iPad left in the suitcase in the room and no attempt to look into the bag was ever made. The meals were very nice, owever we did feel the they did get a little repetative but often a new variance of a dish to a complete new dish would apprear.

During the summer a gentleman will always be present in teh restaurant, he is one of teh most friendliest people in teh hotel, along with Dora in the pool bar and the young lad usually in black trousers and white shirt at the reception. These guys made the stay more welcome.

We really did enjoy our stay here and are already looking at returning next year!!

Room Tip: Don't go for pool view or over entrance, we got garden room and was very quiet!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AbsentDave
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The service at Hotel Cathrin was the best I have ever experienced. What a friendly place to be! The room was sufficient, with everything you expect and need from a resort hotel, and had a very large terrace overlooking stunning Rhodes scenery. I think most rooms have a gorgeous view. The location of the hotel was perfect for my husband and me; it is conveniently located to two close and breathtakingly beautiful beaches, Ladiko and Anthony Quinn Bay, but because the hotel sits on the hill you are removed from any noise from beachgoers. The beaches are absolutely within walking distance, and a shuttle from the hotel to Ladiko removes any concerns about not wanting to walk a couple of minutes to get to where you want to go.

The food was delicious, with lots of varieties. On Saturday nights, they have Greek night, which includes a large spread of bar-b-qued specialties and traditional Greek foods. Afterwards, there is Greek music and dancing... quite a show! For the rest of the week, they have activities throughout the day for the guests and a wide variety of entertainment each night by a wonderfully stocked bar with reasonable prices.

The pool of the hotel is large and clean, and a nice play to relax if you don't want to go to the beaches or travel around the island during the day. The gardens around the hotel are stunning, with flowers and palm trees and so much greenery everywhere. You can tell that a lot of time and effort has gone into the place to make it so beautiful.

For convenience, the hotel also houses a market store, with snacks and drinks and souveniers, all very reasonably priced. You can also rent scooters and cars without leaving the hotel... which we absolutely took advantage of and was able to explore almost the entire island.

We left the hotel at the end of our 10 day stay feeling like we were leaving family. For anyone who wants to choose a quiet, friendly, gorgeous location away from the clusters of hotels you find in other locations on the island, you must stay here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mistje
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Unfortunately we had our hooneymoon stay in this hotel. The worst is that the hotel was built in low costs and walls are like made of paper, so you can hear people activities from distant rooms - in the night and early mornings or when someone goes to toilette, also people coming from or going to the airport during night and dragging wheeled cases through balcony and corridors were waking us up every time. Also thay water the garden in night and the old climtisators outside make so much noise that you can not open window. We were talking with two girls from Germany and they had the same objections. The other thing is that there are not beach towels and you can only get them if you are for the second time in the hotel. You have to pay for the sunbeds by the pool.
People working in this hotel seemed very stressed by boss.
Internet 7eur per hour!
Posiitives: location beautiful and paradoxically quiet,
waitresses very nice and helpful for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pavlaner
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Hello everyone,

Let me just say that this hotel should be a 2* or a 3*, rather than a 4* hotel, as they claim to be.

I spent 2 weeks in Greece, from 17 to 29 September, mainly because I was passionate about Greek mythology and wanted to see the places as well as read about them in books. I spent one week in Athens and was very disappointed seeing how dirty the city was and how rude the locals were. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that the second week I was about to spend it in a 4* hotel in Rhodes, Cathrin Hotel.

I was shocked to find in Rhodes, in Cathrin Hotel, that even though we paid for a double room (this means one double bed) they actually gave us a twin bed room (this means 2 small beds). The air-conditioner did not work, even though we paid for it, the balcony door could not be locked, the room door looked as if it was a locker room door, very fragile and ugly. The towels hurt my skin and if weren’t out of the room before 12 o'clock the maid would not come to clean the room or change our towels!!!

During our stay they never changed any bar of soap or shampoo. The beach is said to be 650 meters from the hotel, the hotel being on a cliff. They are right, if I jump from the cliff the distance to the sea side is 650 meters. If I choose the road to the sea the distance is approximately 1 kilometer. The beach is actually a dirty bay with some sand on it and some chairs. The bay is full of rocks so you cannot go into the water without hurting your feet.

The drinks were not included in the price we paid. The cheapest beer was 3.40 EURO and the cheapest soft drink was 3.20 EURO. I am pretty sure that the soft drinks are mixed with water. When we paid for this vacation we were not informed that the drinks were not included!!!!!

The chairs by the pool side are free of charge. But the mattresses are 0.70 EURO. How low is that from a 4* hotel????

The chef who was cooking eggs in the morning had dirt under his nails, dandruff and also wasn't shaved. After seeing him I stopped eating and went back to my room.

The table cloth was dirty, the forks and knives were dirty and we had several discussions with the waiters there. The manager was never available.

Probably I could have passed all the inconvenient above if the food was good. But actually the food was disastrous, bad, horrible, I cannot describe it, trust me.

Breakfast: the cheapest salami possible, eggs cooked by a dirty chef, beans, some sort of tasteless sausage, bad coffee. The breakfast was served from 7 until 9. At 9 they lock the trays with food, so even if you come to breakfast at 8:50 you don't have time to eat.

Lunch: we only had lunch there once, you have to pay separately for it. We paid approximately 30 EURO for 2 portions of french fries (which were covered in oil and we could not eat them), 2 ham sandwiches (made with the cheapest cheese and salami possible and the bread was at least 2 days old) and 2 soft drinks mixed with water. Even though we asked several times to speak to the manager, he was never available.

Dinner: tasteless fish, turkey (my girlfriend was pretty sure that they served the same turkey which had not been eaten the day before), pasta, some ketchup mixed with water and some pudding.

By the way, I forgot about the wine. One night we ordered some white wine. The small, half a liter bottle, was 10 EURO if I remember well. But I remember the fact that the wine was horrible.

Night entertainment? Forget about it. One night we had some dancers, one night we had bingo, etc. If you want to go to a club and dance or have a proper drink you definitely need to rent a car. The cheapest car is a Fiat Seicento, 65 EURO per day. I do not want to comment about the car. But you can imagine.

So we took a taxi each day to go to Rhodes Town (the fair was some 40 EUR to Rhodes Town and back) and had a proper meal and went to the beach.

We went to this hotel because we bought a new car this summer, and did not have enough cash to do what we wanted to. We usually go to Spain or Italy or Turkey. Still, in total, we paid EUR 4,300 for this vacation. For EUR 5,000 we could have gone to Jamaica for 10 nights in a 4* All Inclusive Hotel.

My advice is, if you really want to go to Rhodes, book a hotel in Rhodes Town. We have never seen bad conditions as in Cathrin Hotel.

Andreea and Cristian from Romania.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank CristianBucharest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ladiko
Ladiko Hotel
#6 of 70 in Faliraki
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
#12 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Cathrin Hotel? Share your experiences!