“No Craic here” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Athenry
Wiltshire, England
“No Craic here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

Modern/new build hotel, good quiet location, (although housing estate under construction to rear) impressive externally but suffering from poor design/build and management. Modern clinical reception not inclined to use waiting room style reception/lounge. Poor signage, primitive back-office produced directions/signs avoid guests getting lost. Main stairwell unlit in morning. Good ample parking

Large spacious second floor room (226) with massive crack across wall, bare décor single historic print on one wall, Good new and modern fittings, designer curtains that do not draw easily. Tea and coffee facilities with ‘boil in wardrobe’ kettle. No room air conditioning or bathroom extraction. Ill fitting and poorly aligned bathroom fittings, age-old problem inconsistent supply of hot water. Good quality towels & linen

Despite asking for a quiet room and being offered a better alternative by manager to the room allocated at check in. The band in the basement was shaking the side of the entire building. When complaining, good customer service from reception when band were ‘persuaded’ to cease shortly after 23:00. The hotel car park below by window then became the local playground for youths presumably turning out from the basement venue.

I had to question why in the middle of Galway races week this hotel had availability and was almost empty – now I know. A Characterless, empty hotel with absolutely no atmosphere, redeemed only by staff who are giving their best, good continental breakfast buffet and individually cooked to order full Irish. Not good value but I was prepared to pay a premium for sparce local accomodation during festival week.

Management need to decide if they are to continue to market the ‘Tranquility!’ Spa idea. True, this is a potentially a high-class haven, good location to Galway, (especially for Races) capable of being marketed as a 4* hotel & Spa. Or pander to a younger beer and bands music venue.

• Liked — new and mopstly clean
  • Disliked — Noise nuisance
  • Tips/Secrets — Ok place to put your head down, but I'm sure you could find better
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MAH88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
Croy, Kilsyth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

If Michael ever returns from botany bay and needs a place to stay in Athenry, then I suggest he books a room at the Raheen Woods!

We too had visited the Hotel previously for a wedding, the Doolan-Mahon wedding which was a massive success not only on the guests part but the hotel staff made everything run so smoothly and efficiently. The chef even wore traditional Scottish dress to welcome the guests from Scotland.

Our second stay was every bit as enjoyable, the hotel staff even remembered us from the year previous. From check-in to check-out the hotel employees could not have been more helpful or friendly. From our stay on the Thursday right through to the Monday we saw retirement parties, a 21st Birthday party, a wedding and a barbeque party for children. It truly is a great venue for any gathering and for all walks of life.

The Hotel Staff even got us home safely. On leaving Galway and travelling up to Dublin on the train, we found ourselves on O'Connell Bridge with no passports. We had realised that our passports were in the hotel room, in the Raheen Woods, 4 HOURS AWAY.

What the Hotel Staff did next - we will never forget!

Not only did they book a later flight for us, WITH THEIR OWN MONEY!
They transported our passports via citylink bus straight to Dublin Airport.(Camilla, our saviour, had her husband drive to Galway with our passports to catch the citylink bus.)

The conclusion, we got home thanks to the great spirit of the Hotel and the Athenry people who work there. Who in our eyes, are the best people in the world!

We must say a big thank you especially to Camilla Brown, who is an asset not just to the Raheen Woods but to Irish Tourism itself. Thanks to Camilla, her husband and the Hotel staff we made it home safe and sound.

A wee final note of appreciation to the citylink bus driver who carried our passports from Galway to Dublin. A lovely woman too!

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank WullimC
Galway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

I organised a party here with dinner first.That day they pulled the DJ on me as I had not enough numbers but this was never said at time of booking and their website says the DJ is there every Saturday night. From the minute we arrived I was sorry I had booked it there.The waitress' were so rude it was beyond belief even the restaurant manager had an attitude problem.Food was very good besides the vegatarian option which was disgusting to look at and the desserts were still slightly frozen.They gave us tickets to go downstairs to the Basement Lounge for free(to make up for losing the dj and party room) which the bouncers on the door moaned about to my party that they could not believe we had been let in for free.I was told this was a nightclub(it was a dance-the average age there was 65).Most of my party were alot younger.Four people left straight away.I was disgusted but did not complain on the night as I knew I would be upset.'its my party and I will cry if I want to' I did not want to apply to me.The complaint was handled so badly.When it was said that we had heard bad reports prior to the party the response to this was why did you bother booking with us then.What a great attidue!!
As one of my friends said its a beautiful hotel if they would only run it right.It is awful to be treated like you are imposing rather than being a valued customer.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank caroj1
KILSYTH,GLASGOW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2006

My partner and I have stayed at the hotel twice, the first time in August for a wedding, which was absolutely out of this world, and the second time in November. the hotel was fantastic and the staff were so helpful and friendly. If I was forced to make a complaint it would be that the bar area was very cold but that aside I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again next time we visit.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank MAGSO
Prescott Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2006

On February 27, 2006 we visited the ancient walled town of Athenry just east of the city of Galway and stayed at the NEW Raheen Woods Hotel (raheenwoodshotel). The city is charming but congested as usual for an old Irish town. We tried staying in the town center but found the various Inn rooms to be VERY SMALL and pricey, 90 to 100 euros. We then consulted the Galway East Visitors guidebook and found the new Raheen Woods Hotel advertised and we then recalled seeing a sign for the hotel just outside the town. A quick 2 minute drive and we were at the Raheen Woods hotel which is new, beautiful, and especially clean. The rooms are large, the TV's work, and the baths are modern with all the hot water one could want. This was our 6th night in Ireland and this hotel was the first one where the bathroom vanity DID NOT have saperate faucets for hot and cold water. We finally had a single handle faucet to control the water tempeture. The price of a room was just 90 Euros which included a wonderful full Irish breakfast for the two of us. The hotel also has a spa, swimming pool, and an exercise room. To make the stay even more enjoyable the manager, Camilla, was especially friendy and advised us on the history of Athenry and even printed out a 7 page history of the walled town. To further impress us, as a 5 star hotel does also, Camilla even remembered us by name throughout our stay. If you are in the area and need a great place to stay THIS IS THE PLACE. The city of Galway is about 30 minutes to the west so one could stay at the Raheen Woods Hotel and still see the city. Please feel free to email me with questions.

Best Regards,

Larry Rabe
Prescott, Arizona
lrr@cableone.net (LRR@CABLEONE.NET, but small letters)

1 Thank LRRPrescottArizona
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2005

I stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend last weekend having not known about the place at all just a week earlier, but stumbled across their website (which does no justice to the hotel) and decided to book one night as a romantic get away.

The hotel itself is less than 3 months old and does still have the very new feel to it but not in an unused, inpersonal way - the decor is extremely well designed and is luxurious yet understated. No matter where you are in the hotel you are drawn to the comfortbale couches in the bar and lobby areas, and the cosy armchairs situated in the soft light of the reading lounge at the top of the stairs on the first floor.

Our double room was also nicely finished. Thick carpets which are a delight to walk over barefoot and crisp bedlinen on the very comfy bed. Amenities in the rooms are standard enough - only a mini-bar or fridge is lacking in my opinion. Bathroom was a good size, no bath but a large powerful shower, easily big enough for two people. Plenty of closet space in the bedroom too, not that we used much of it for the short time we were there.

We chose to dine at the Hotel's restaurant - "The Blue Bayou" and had a table booked for 9pm. From the moment we walked into the eatery (where the stylish decor is continued) we were very impressed, friendly waiters showed us to a great table and were so attentive without being intrusive, they were a credit to the hotel. I had a steak which was cooked perfectly to order and my girlfriend had a Thai Chicken dish which was also delicious. We found the restaurant to be great value with starter/2 mains/2 desserts and 2 rounds of drinks totalled only €60.00 - just 10 miles down the road in Galway City, I've paid double that for meals that would fall well short of our meal here. Great music in the background too!!

We also ate breakfast at the hotel which was nice - a good choice of cereals, fruit, juices and yoghurts etc and the traditional "full irish" to fall back on if you want it. Lovely coffee too.

The hotel also has a very impressive fitness facility, which we did not use on this occasion but will for sure when (not IF) we stay there again. It's rare enough that you come away from a hotel where finding fault seems impossible but I'm happy to say that this is one of those rare occasions. Staff were excellent and only too happy to assist guests as best possible and helped make our stay a very enjoyable one. I think the hotel only has a 3-Star rating at the moment but maybe as it's so new they have not been graded yet - I'm sure the 4th star will be on it's way in due course. Great hotel!! We will be back.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athenry
The Twelve Hotel
Clayton Hotel Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
#11 of 46 in Galway
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,792 reviews

Been to Raheen Woods Hotel? Share your experiences!