“Authentically Preserved”
Review of Delgatie Castle

Delgatie Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Turriff
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We visited on a crafts fair day so a bonus not to mention the reduced admission. The upkeep of this historical gem is a labour of love. Right now a new roof is needed for the entrance hall. The tea room is small but cozy and full of fascinating architecture details. The building has priceless rare medieval ceiling paintings which alone justify the visit. We loved the raw authenticity of the rooms which spoke volumes of real lives lived here. The volunteers running this unique structure are amazing and deserve to be rewarded with more visitors!!

1  Thank Connoisseur-of-Life

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Tea room is brilliant, I had the carrot cake and it was delicious!
The castle itself is beautiful to walk around in summer

1  Thank Mhairi C
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We only visited the Lairds Kitchen tea room, so can't comment on the rest of the castle although from what we saw it looked lovely. It is obviously still in the process of being renovated but appeared to be well worth a visit.
The tea room is a bit small, so you might want to get there early when it's busy, but it is quite charming. The home-made food is reasonably priced, portion sizes were generous and it was delicious. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and the service was good. We visited with a 7 month old and were a bit worried that it might not be baby-friendly but the staff were lovely with the baby, there was a high-chair we could use and there was even a box of toys to keep her entertained while we enjoyed our meal.
We will definitely return (without baby) to visit the castle itself.

1  Thank jewl18
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have visited Delgatie Castle many times over the years and I have always received a very warm welcome and good service from the staff. Sometimes they are busy and can't visit as much as they or I would like, but they want to give good service to everyone. The home made food is very good and the scones & cakes are the best I have ever had. I am amused at the man complaining about the stairs being only for the fit. What does he expect of an authentic ancient
Castle build in 1050. The sprial staircase is the main frame of the Castle and to change it would be to distroy the Castle. The stairs are part of the charm of Delgatie. I do know that the tea room the gift shop, the Chapal and Yester are wheel chair accessible. I get much pleasure out of going to Delgatie Castle and will continue to do so.

1  Thank Catherine V
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Delgatie Castle is a lovely Place to Walk around in (and outside)
It is a wee bit neclected,but(for me) that makes it even more attractive.
Feel free,after paying your Visitors Fee,to wander around and look into the Rooms and check out the Artefacts on Display.
Once you worked up an Appetite,go down to the Wee Pantry/Restaurant and have some Heartwarming Cullen Skink(Wife Loves it,and shes from Portsoy,in other Words,knowes her Cullen Skink.)
the Eating Area is Small but Cosy.The Menu is Straight forward and just right for the Place,The Staff is Friendly and i enjoy going there with or without Visitors.(Great for a Cold Wet Stormy Day ,Tea Time Stop Over!!)
I for one ,have been a few Times there, this Year. )

3  Thank Rainer S