“Very unwelcoming!”
Review of Delgatie Castle

Delgatie Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Turriff
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Having read the reviews on this site I find it hard to believe I have visited the same tea room. Then I read Speysider58's review and I thoroughly agree. We were made to feel like we were intruding and it was very uncomfortable. The staff are indeed supercilious,we didn't finish our tea and left as we felt like we were being glared at. We had a stroll through the grounds but the lawn had food scraps srewn across it so we opted for a walk round the nearby forestry commision wood which was most enjoyable.

5  Thank susan s

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I visited during the summer and the castle is really a work in progress.
It appears to be run and managed by local volunteers trying to restore the fabric of the building by whatever means available, which is commendable.

I got the impression I was intruding into some of the local volunteers personal fiefdom as I did not feel any warmth of welcome at or much communication either.

This was made worse by the surly kilted gentleman, who at every oppportunity, made a distinct point of closing the door behind visitors, as they barely had time to finish wiping their feet on the doormat.

The tearoom was cramped,the food average and the welcome poor from the supercilious staff.
Really not worth the time and effort trying to find the castle in the first place.
There are far better and more welcoming attractions to be found in nearby Banff and Macduff.

4  Thank Speysider58
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Lots of fascinating history, artefacts and pictures. Not 'over-restored' so you can get a real sense of the people and history of the place. Really interesting information in the room where Mary Queen of Scots stayed and some amazing painted ceilings. The tea room is also well worth a visit for the delicious cakes!!!

2  Thank Sweetmelinda
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We got married at this Castle and love to go back. It is a lovely castle. Believe Mary Queen of Scots once slept there. The tea room is not expensive £2.50 for a bowl of soup. £3.50 for Cullen Skink. And there are numerous other items on the menu. Small shop of items for the house to browse. You can go to the tea room and wander round downstairs of the Castle but you have to pay a fee to see round all the Castle rooms upstairs. There is holiday accommodation too. Large garden.

2  Thank Yvonneanddog
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I visited with my 60-year-old mother and 2-year-old daughter, both of whom had trouble climbing the multitude of stairs inside the castle. Whilst old buildings often do present access issues for older people and toddlers, I felt the stairs were so steep and there were so many of them that perhaps a warning could have been given on the brochure or at the entrance that maybe not everyone would manage the stairs. In fact, it really wasn't an appropriate destination for a toddler at all - I had thought that my daughter would like to see a castle, but she was thoroughly bored and it was a bit of a nightmare to get her to stand behind the rope / stop touching things / etc.

I thought the entry fee was a little expensive for how long the visit lasted and how much there was to see, being six quid each for adults (although we weren't charged for our toddler).

Also, we had researched the opening hours prior to our visit on the website and saw that it was open afternoons only ... then arrived at the castle to find that the opening hours displayed indicated that it had been open all day which was disappointing when a morning visit would have suited us a better ... then as we came to the end of our visit, we were promptly escorted outside and the door locked behind us, an hour earlier than the advertised closing time! So, maybe call to check opening times before you go?!

All that being said, I found the history of the castle very interesting and I would have appreciated having a bit longer to look around and read things properly.

4  Thank Caroline S