“Old but good!”
Review of Agionissi Resort

Agionissi Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ammouliani
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

the hotel -despite being old - is the best choice u can make in the island,along with the Elianthus hotel in the centre of ammouliani.our room had pool and sea view,great sunset at the balcony,paid 90 euros for each night and found it worth it. the sea in front is not that good so we would go to other beaches.we didnt try the food at the hotel since from
other reviews we had read it s not good.dont expect much on term
of amenities,just enjoy the peaceful quiet and sea view!

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Agionissi Resort

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed for two nights in early July. I have traveled a lot in my life and have stayed in numerous hotels and I have to say that the Agionissi did not live up to expectations. The place has a lot of potential but currently just doesn't say much. We arrived on time - 13:00 and were asked to wait in the lounge. After two hours, having to keep asking about the room, we were finally taken to our room with no explanation as to why we had to wait or an apology. While we were waiting, some other guests were screaming at the reception as they couldn't find their bookings - not my problem, but it affects my impression of the hotel. The reception team looked extremely disorganized with member of the team asking each-others what to do - at the end, a lady from housekeeping had to go behind the desk and short everything out.

Our room was ok in terms of size. What I did not appreciate at all was the smell in there - it smelled like an ashtray, while I specifically requested a non smoking room - not a big thing to ask for a quality four star hotel. The managers explanation was that it is not their fault if guests are smoking in their rooms, because they keep telling them they are not allowed to do so... No amenities in the room, but I did notice a small glass jar by the shower with some form of fairy-looking washing up liquid in it. It also smelled like that too. When I asked reception about soap and shampoo - they just said that they use an exclusive ecological liquid which is for the whole body. No sign on it, no explanation in the room...nothing. If it really was an exclusive ecological liquid for the whole body, wouldn't you have a small note somewhere...

Anyway, the A/C was not working - phoned the reception and reported it - they said that they would call someone.

Went to the restaurant for dinner, which was included: 1st course - vegetable soup, 2nd course - pasta, 3rd course potato salad, dessert - jelly. Found it very cheap, although it tasted ok. The waiting staff although polite, were absolutely unprofessional and unskilled. They gave us a dirty table and started serving us on it. Only after I complained they changed the cloths. No salt and pepper on the table - had to ask for it. Ordered a bottle of white wine for 18 euro. The waiter couldn't open it and had to help him - he was polite and apologetic and did not mind about him but PAP Hotels and the Agionissi Management are unacceptable for not ensuring that their restaurant staff can up sell and serve wines, what a shame... The waiter then left the bottle on the table and left. We were not allowed to first "taste" the wine as the normal procedure is - Also no ice bucket - we are talking about basic things here. Finally, after complaining I received an ice bucket, which according to the staff, was being used to polish cutlery and now they need to wait for me to drink my wine before they can continue... Oh god!!!
As I noticed that the potato salad had green beans in it - I did the mistake to ask the waiter what kid of beans they are, as I am allergic to broad beans - the waiter just said that he doesn't know and left. When I asked again, I told him to speak to the Chef. When he came back he said that the Chef is Italian and doesn't understand - he also asked me how "broad beans" is in English. When he eventually asked the Italian Chef - the Chef replied that he cannot remember as he made this salad some time ago. I wasted so much time on this and at the end did not touch the salad. No one came back to speak to me and apologize... absolutely nothing.

In the night time we went to the main part of the island which was nice.

Upon our return at the hotel, I did another mistake - I asked the reception if our A/C was fixed. The man behind the desk said that he doesn't know and that he is not the maintenance man! I just ignored him and went back to the room - thankfully it had been fixed.

Next morning woke up and just enjoyed ourselves away from the hotel, which we used only to sleep. I will never go back to this place and I will never recommend it to anyone. As I said I have been to a lot of places, but this is totally unacceptable for the prices they charge. PAP administration, you need to have a look at this property...honestly...

Room Tip: If you really want to go there, book much in advance and speak with the GM - tell him to ensure that...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hotel_warlock
Reviewed July 31, 2012

the view is amazing, but their service hasn't improved since last year. it is still good value for money though. could have had better breakfast. they were helpful with the child that we had, they provided a baby bed for him with no extra charge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a fantastic, small resort on Amouliani Island. The lovely rooms are built on a hillside and afford terrific views of the beach and the sea. There are three beaches to choose from--two sandy and one rocky--and a huge, non-chlorinated pool. There are also great sunset views from the dining room and outdoor terrace. The half-board option (breakfast, dinner) is the way to go allowing for daytime excursions to local eateries for lunch. The resort food was good but not extraordinary unless you choose a la carte ordering at extra cost. The staff were courteous and helpful. A green policy is in effect--a great idea for any hotel but especially one on an island--so don't expect towel changes every day. Best of all, the price was an incredible bargain. More than worth a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaside view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Phil A
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed with friends at this hotel in July of 2012. The hotel was packed mainly from tourists from the Balcans and Eastern Europe as the location (northern Greece and near Athos) is particularly accessible/attractive to them.

The hotel is advertised as 4-star which is very misleading. It is a 2 star hotel in terms of location/amenities and 1 star for service, at most.

Our experience in Amouliani (a wonderful island near mount Athos) was nearly destroyed and we considered leaving the island but we stayed simply because the island is beautiful, and we were simply too tired after a long trip around Greece.

Only positive factor for us was the great views (for sea view rooms only).

Negative highlights of the hotel:

1. Did not honor the online booking and delivered lower-grade room despite our protests. Attempted to charge the bigger room price for the lower grade room and we had to negotiate the right price.
2. No internet other than unsecured wifi accessible only in lobby area.
3. Get your own towels as the hotel will change 1 towel/person every 3 days!! We had to fight for dirty towels to be changed at day 3...
4. Access to reception and rooms from parking is not feasible with heavy luggage,
unless the hotel bell boy with a golf cart takes the luggage. Yet, once we arrived, we knew nothing about it and had to drag all our luggage through steep and gravel-covered surfaces
for about 150 yards. This was not too good for our backs and for the luggage as well.
5. Rooms feel like a sauna around noon and until evening. Yet, the AC is deactivated unless
you have the (iron) key in a special lock inside the room. The AC gets deactivated also when you open a window. This is to save money on the electricity bill obviously, but makes your life miserable.
6. There is no room service.
7. Breakfast and pre-paid lunch/dinner is good for the seagulls only (who eat most of it evidently).
8. The hotel beach is bad (has sharp rocks).

Notice that you will need a car or motor bike to go from the port to the hotel (no courtesy van provided by the hotel) and that there are no gas stations on the island.

In our opinion the hotel uses grossly misleading advertising through sleek internet
presentations to lure unsuspecting tourists. If they had said "we offer
you a great location with no services and modest prices" (basically a 2 star hotel)
expectations would be managed better and our complaints would be fewer
(however then the hotel would not be full).

PS. Having traveled to many Greek destinations, I can assure potential travelers that
Greek hotels/tourist services are not represented at all by this hotel which is a great
embarrassment for Greek tourism.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank MMW_DA2
Reviewed September 27, 2011

all the rooms have spectacular view, which makes you wanna stay in for a drink on the balcony instead of going anywhere,
very big rooms, very clean, with big bathroom.
the staff were a bit "coarse", most of them did not speak greek (important to the greeks!)

but overall good value for what you pay, although one would think that the place could have greater potentials.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GoutmanEliz
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I must admit I've read the reviews here before I chose this hotel for our stay in Greece. And I disagree with those negative ones, except the one about the food - I think that is the only "minus" of the hotel, as the food doesn't vary a lot and it is quite average, due to the fact that it is an island and they bring all the stuff from land (Xenia Hotel), probably that's also why. But they had great calamaris, better than in tavernas on the island :). And good breakfasts with good fruits, especially pineapples :)). Spa is also good, Solomi is a dream masseuse :)). Also special thanks goes to the guys and girls who works in the restaurant: RENA (!) :), Roberto, Claudio, in reception: KATERINA and Dimitris, and of course the poolbar barman Giorgos too :)). These people were very warm and friendly all the time! So no wonder it was a great time we had in this hotel. Also I would love to mention the beautiful island and a great beach of this hotel. The good fact is that it is not crowded but just SACRED as it is in the name of it, that's what I was looking for in this place and I found it! The rooms are amazing and very comfortable, the territory is big and very beautiful. A little minus is also that the hotel doesn't provide good bicycles and any kind of animation/evenings, but as for the last ones I think maybe it's a correct choice not to provide it as the hotel helps you to relax a lot and to enjoy the quiet atmosphere of the island and your stay in this paradise. We also loved to walk on this island, the "Island" bar was great too, thanks to the people working there as well. We loved our vacation a lot! So try not to listen to surprisingly negative reviews about this hotel but make your own opinion about it next year. I think that if this hotel will improve just a bit in food, bicycles and etc. it could become one of the best hotels in the Athos part of Chalkidiki, because it is so special and once again SACRED! S'agapo!!!

From Russia with love :)).
Vlamis.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Vladimire_ru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ammouliani
Alexandros Palace Hotel
#2 of 10 in Ouranoupolis
Archontiko Hotel
Archontiko Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ammouliani

Been to Agionissi Resort? Share your experiences!