All reviews cakes steep hill ski holiday the ski bus stop superb food traditional austrian hotel excellent hotel course evening meal steam room ski area tap water good size boots and skis standard room spa facilities seating area crystal ski
Reviewed April 11, 2018

Just returned from a week skiing in Galtur and Ischgl staying at the Alpenhotel Tirol in Galtur. Skiing was fantastic, weather fantastic, hotel very disappointing. We booked through Crystal ski with our flight arriving in the evening, we arrived at the hotel at approx. 9.30pm. On arrival at reception, to check in, the gentleman behind the desk, who I assume was the owner, told us we were late and could we leave our bags and go immediately to the dining room as 'we were late'. No friendly welcome which we have always received over the last 11 years holidaying in Austria at various resorts. The food was however amazing - compliments to a very talented chef and most of the waiting staff excellent too. No help given to our rooms which were very basic and dated, no mirror in room and when I asked if it would be possible for a small one was told none available. Throughout the week we were made to feel very uncomfortable by the owners, dinner was regimented with you having to be seated by 7.30pm at the latest or the waiting staff would come looking for you. Not a relaxing stay at this hotel and sadly I would not recommend a stay there to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2018

Travelled to the Alpehotel Tirol in Galtur with my wife and two teenage daughters in early April 2018.
Having skied a reasonable amount around Europe, this is the best little hotel we have stayed in - absolutely spotless, wonderful food, small but brilliant spa facilities - a 500 metre walk to Intersport where you can leave your ski's & boots and then another 20 metres to the ski bus stop.
Easy for both Galtur (small ski area but lovely)and Ischgl (probably the best pistes we have skied and a large area) and only 1 hour 30 mins from Innsbruck.
In terms of value for money this hotel is at the top of the list.
There is not much I ever recommend - have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

What an excellent week. I am sat in the hotel lobby waiting for my transfer to the airport, all of which has been booked through Crystal Ski so I thought I’d write down some thoughts.

Crystal have been excellent and I thoroughly approve of the ‘non-salesman’ approach; being badgered about buying stuff or going on trips is a real turn off - I’m pleased to say they didn’t use that approach at all.

In terms of skiing the pistes have been excellent with shed loads of snow, which is indeed handy and an integral part to a successful ski trip! I ordered my lift pass through Crystal and it was ready to go for me on the transfer in - looked like the same price as going to the lift offices too. I am an intermediate/advanced skier so galtur Silva Park is only adequate for a 1 day warm up ski - next time I would probably only buy the Ischgl pass and make use of the free schibus to and from Ischgl. So much to do at Ischgl for all abilities - aprés ski was great at Ischgl too - NB lift D1 had heated seats .

The hotel, Alpenhotel Tirol, is fantastic. Peter and his staff are excellent hosts. I was welcomed by first name terms, which was impressive considering multiple arrivals that evening and then invited into the dinning room. Wow. The food is excellent. Fantastic breakfast and a 5 course evening meal. Best food I’ve had in a hotel for a long time. They do charge for water (tap water, Leitungswasser) only if you don’t buy a beer etc. I think reasonable.

Accommodation is very comfortable and clean although the room, for me, was a little dated; that said perfectly acceptable. The hotel have a convenient relationship with Intersport, up the road, where one can leave your boots, skis and poles overnight.

A fantastic example of a family owned and run hotel and in many ways an excellent example of how a ski trip should be done. Austria still remains my ski holiday location of choice!

An extra note. Regrettably 1 of our party suffered an injury that ended his ski trip. The emergency services, the rep and his insurance (thankfully) were superb and the care given was speedy and thorough.

I will be back to Galtür/Ischgl and I’ll be staying in the Alpenhotel Tirol again!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2018

We have just returned from a weeks skiing holiday with Crystal Ski. As everybody has stated before, the food in Alepenhotel Tirol is superb! The service and staff are also exceptional. The comment I read about charging for tap water is only true if you don’t have any other drinks with your dinner. We felt this was perfectly fair, and as we sampled some quality Austrian wines during the week, this charge did not apply.
We hired skis through Crystal and these were provided by Sport Walter. The shop is a short walk up the road from the hotel, skis can be left at the rear of the shop and the buses to either Wirl (the small local resort) or Ischgl stop opposite the shop.
The buses run frequently and efficiently.
We loved the small local resort of Galtur/Wirl and spent most of our time here. The authentic Austrian mountain restaurant Weibethimml is not to be missed. Ischgl is a much more extensive area linked with Samnaun in Switzerland. It was extremely busy when we visited.
All in all there is something for everyone here. We will seriously consider returning at some time in the future.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

Although the hotel is at the top of a hill this is the only drawback to what is an excellent hotel.
Rooms were clean, tidy and kept well everyday, breakfast had a very good and filling range from cereals, cold meats & cheeses, fruit, and breads. Afternoon cakes fantastic and the evening meals were simply fantastic, presented very well and tasted great.
All the staff were very welcoming and courteous with special thanks to the waiting staff who dealt with us on a daily basis.
The hotel also had a whirlpool, sauna and steam room which I didn’t use but was told these were also great to relax in.
It also had an agreement with the local Inter Sports for leaving skis and boots which was ideal.
All in all a great hotel that I would certainly recommend.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends