“Something different”
Review of Ace-Hi Ranch

Ace-Hi Ranch
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I booked with ace hi bush & beach ride to celebrate our 2 yr anniversary. I wanted something different to the normal romantic stuff & I got it.
It was my first time on a horse & I had a blast! The reception was a bit unfriendly but the girl we rode out with (Lara) was great! Helpfull & professional. Beach was beautiful but it does take a while to get there.
If you don't like trying new things & going out of your comfort zone dont do it as the horses do canter on this ride. But if you do then I think you'll have fun.

3  Thank Wca450
"horses"
in 20 reviews
"skills"

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I purchased a voucher on line before reading the reviews. Was very nervious but really no need to be. Our voucher included a one hour horse ride, entry to the wild life park and an overnight stay for two adults and two children. My girlfriend purchased one also. When booking we had booked in for the 3.30pm horse ride.
We arrived around 1.30ish, checked in with a friendly person she was very quick and paid attention to detail, which is what you want really. She organised our forms for the horse riding and we filled them in there and then. Wild life park closed, annoying but thats how it goes, children not so happy. Pool looked good but far to cold for us to go in. Keeping in mind that this place is for school camps the rooms were good for that. Very rustic. Beds have foam mattresses, great for an overnight stay only. We had tea and coffee making in our cabin. Microwave, toaster, small TV, knives, forks, plates, cups, toilet paper. a small/bar fridge and a table with four chairs. The room was clean and tidy. The place is a little town of its own and we did have a look around before our ride. All the horses looked well cared for. Nothing was up and running eg: flying fox, told that was for the schools only. Down for our ride. We decided to go with the novice ride/beginners as we had two 8 year olds, a 9 year old and a 13 year old that have only been on a led pony ride at St Kilda beach. My husband and myself havent been on a horse for around 15 years and our other family was much the same. We had 14 people in total on our ride. We were fitted with hats and on to collect our horses. Each of us were given a horse that was in tune with our riding experience. There was a mounting block/stairs for anyone to use to get on their horse and lots of staff to get us ready for our ride, adjusting and making sure all was ok. We a staff member at the front of the pack and at the end, as well as Lara (staff) riding up and down the pack keeping us informed as to what we needed to do. Yes the begginers ride is a walk. We had one horse get spooked and the rider came off but Lara attended to him and got him back on the horse for the rest of the ride. He was fine. My daughter Eva is tiny, she was on what I would call a big horse and she was fine at all times and loved every minute of the ride, so much so that she wants to return. Thanks to the girls/staff on our ride, you did a great job. We went into town for dinner, slept the night and checked out in the morning without a problem. When checking in at the Capel we did notice that you could purchase food and drinks, we just took our own. There are lots of mozzies so do remember to take your sprays.

4  Thank Lynda S
Reviewed March 14, 2012

we went on a family weekend at ace hi , from the moment we arrived the customer service was cold and not very welcoming ,there was no fly wire on windows so all the mozzies came in ,the wild life park was closed, there are no activities unless you are on a camp but we could use the pool. when we went on trail ride the next day 2 of the ladies were very helpful and the one that gave me horse was very unhelpful and looked like she couldnt be bothered or didnt want to be there, she told me to put my foot in styrup and i replied " im not sure if i can put my foot on there" as i tried and pulled myself up the horse started to get aggitated and took off and the next thing i new i was on the ground in agony , the receptionist came down and said you better take her to hospital and thats what my husband did, they did not even ring to find out if we were ok and looking back they should have supplied a mounting block, that girl should of held the horse properley, they said i brushed its rump as i got on, the horse should not spook if its meant to be a trail riding horse for beginners and did not even call an ambulance. it was unfortunate that this happened and the lack of duty of care and service made it the worst experience on a ranch .

13  Thank Karina C
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Brought 4 people for a one hour bush ride, overall a very unfriendly operation with absolutely no interest in the riders, robots would have been more interesting than the guides.

The guides didn't bother to ask anyones name or even ridding experience.  I'm a professional rider from a family of horse people but the guide treated me like a first time rider!  She was constantly telling me to stay single file and up the backside of the horse in front.  The other guide was a child that had fallen twice that day including coming off at the start of our ride! This child with maybe years
experience then thought it was right to tell me how I should ride the badly trained horse.

General safety didn't seem a priority with my girth loose but the guide said it was fine, but as there were no more holes I couldn't tighten it more!  Another girl in the group got kicked by the guides horse while the guide was on her mobile and absolutely no instruction was given to anyone on the group.  Some of the horses were over 17 hands yet there was no mounting block?

Overall a very shoddy experience where taking your money was the only thing they seemed interested in, would not recommend this place.

13  Thank hopandsolo
See more reviews
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Me and a friend took the 3 hour Beach and Bush horse ride with Ace-Hi in October 2008. We were both beginner horse riders and were given 'gentle' horses to ride on. Unfortunately, our horses were not only 'gentle' but also rather lazy, and I had some difficulty getting mine to trot, which was somewhat frustrating.

The ride was predominantly through bushland; the view was interesting but did get slightly monotonous after a few hours of riding. The highlight was definitely the 20 minutes or so spent on one of the beautiful, unspoilt beaches near Rye. The sun was shining, the sea was sparkling, and the sand was unmarked except for our horses' hooves. We were allowed to canter along the beach, which was the most amazing experience.

The only things which detracted from the ride were:
- We didn't get much instruction on how to actually ride the horses, which for a beginner might be a problem;
- Difficulty in getting the horses to go faster than ambling;
- Much more time was spent in the bush than on the beach, and more time on the beach would have been better.

Overall, however, the ride was lots of fun and quite memorable.

2  Thank jupey12