See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 3, 2017

We drove into the city of Tohno without having any reservation for accommodation. Not knowing anything about the geography of the city, we were driving towards a small hill where we found this hotel. It was conveniently located to the city museum (right next door) and a few other well-known destinations in Tohno. So, we walked to the reception and asked for a room.

At JPY19,014 for two with breakfast, it is relatively expensive for the region and for booking without middleman. Parking within the building was an extra of JPY500.

The region of Tohno is filled with many interesting folktales, but that doesn’t mean it has nice views. It doesn't. From our room, the city view towards JR Tohno Station was boring. The room was okay.

A unique attraction of the hotel is a session by “kataribé” or storytellers in the evening (every day at 6:00 p.m.) for the hotel guests. For about 30 minutes, two or three local “kataribé” come to a small hall and present several stories passed down for generations by the people of Tohno. After all, Tohno is probably best known for the “Tohno Monogatari” or The Legends of Tono. Most “kataribé” are women, but on the day we stayed, we had both female and male “kataribé.”

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chuzaa
Reviewed January 11, 2017

The service we received was great, very polite staff even if they cannot communicate in the same language. Some of the staff there speaks English as well as Japanese. The rooms are well kept and the room comes with a kimono as well. Very fine stay in a great town.

Date of stay: May 2016
Reviewed October 27, 2016

I did not expect a good service or a warm hospitality from this hotel, when I made a reservation here because of the location (a western style hotel in a very tiny small town). But, it wasn't.
Everyone at the hotel was very polite and kind to us. We were very lucky to be able to stay at this wonderful hotel, where everybody always smiles and tries to make the guests feel comfortable.

Date of stay: October 2016
Reviewed October 12, 2016

The Chattanooga, Tennessee delegation stayed here during our visit to Tono for the Tono Matsuri Festival. They were very hospitable and friendly, regardless of the language barrier. This is a large hotel in the middle of town. Easy walking distance to museums. Our rooms were small but spacious enough. I would recommend this place to foreigners staying in this area.

Room tip: Choose a high floor room for better views of Tono
Date of stay: September 2016
1  Thank alexhughey14
Reviewed December 2, 2015

Aeria was my home for a couple of days while I was at a study trip in Japan. The staff were very polite though I found it hard to communicate well because not all them can speak English. The rooms are very well-kept and their housekeeping is really honest. I left my shoes in my room after checking out and when I got back after 4 days, it was still there.

Date of stay: October 2015