How I wish I could give this 5 stars !
The staff certainly deserve it as they are friendly, polite and nothing is too much trouble. 5 stars for them !!!
The restaurant food in the evening was excellent and really good value. We ate in Sorrento and the food was awful....the hotel food was tasty, tender and worth the money. Again, 5 stars !!!
We had kindly been given a suite and it was amazing.....OTT gilt effect and bling but big, comfortable and so clean.
However, a couple of problems that really shouldn't be spoiling this hotel.
1. NO SHOWER....there was a huge bath with air jets but it took ages to fill and the water was sometimes too tepid to make it warm enough. Water temperature would have been just about acceptable in a shower where you get in, wash and get out but not hot enough to soak in a bath, especially one pumping air through it, cooling it further.There is a hand shower on the taps but I had to stand and shower down my husband and son when their hair was washed....struggled to do my own and I have longer, thick hair. Baths just never leave me feeling clean. Huge bathroom with 2 wash basins, bidet, toilet and huge whirlpool bathand still loads of space......so why miss the shower ?????
2. The bathroom door didn't shut....let alone lock.
3. Had a little balcony which would have been lovely if it looked at the grounds or pool ( even if the handle and lock dropped off it ) but the view was of another huge patio / balcony area. I don't know who had this patio except it appeared they lived there...clothes rails, potted plants and a woman hosing down her patio with her husband "bellowing" down to hotel staff in the grounds below at times. Nice !!
4. Had to share one bedside lamp....I won !!!
The hotel is convenient for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Sorrento and Naples by car ( if you dare drive), out of the way if not!
The pool is lovely to relax by after sight seeing but no-one seemed to care for the area. On our first day, yesterdays towels were still in baskets around the pool and there they stayed all that day.
The weddings and birthday parties did not impinge on our enjoyment of the pool although I understand others had had the pool closed to them at these times. However, did feel like fish ( or whales) in a tank when party goers would appear with no notice, to stare like a freak show at us....wow! Hotel guests, what next ! Had to try and slip through the hotels grounds and foyer, damp, hot and red, with wedding guests looking stunning.
I can only imagine this hotel thrives on Wedding parties and Birthdays etc ( even though none of these people appear to stay at the hotel much as they were never there the next day ) as it felt like a ghost town at times. These parties seem to go on all day and can be until late at night ! As a hotel guest, I felt sidelined for these events...3 in 6 days ( I was sightseeing the other 3 days so could have been more!) and party guests needs priority for all staff.
The hotel in novel for it's OTT appearance....gilt, pictures of clebrities that mean nothing to me, really lovely china and cutlery but .....fur coat with no knickers if the basics fail to impress. Shame.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Hotel La Sonrisa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel La Sonrisa Italy/Province Of Naples