“Excellent hotel in vineyards”

Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elciego
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Close to amazing medieval city Laguardia this unique hotel really is a good experience .Designed by architect of Gaugenhaim Museum it is really funny.Rooms are really spacious with nice views of countryside.Ayoung and beautiful lady escorted us during tour in vinery.It was also amazing in which you can see wines more than hundred years.Restaurant was really excellent with 9 courses of novel cusine.Moreover breakfast was also excellent

Room Tip: Ask rooms at main building
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
apeev, General Manager at Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear leventolgun,

Many thanks for posting your positive review. It is really rewarding to know that you had an enjoyable experience at our unique Hotel Marques de Riscal, A Luxury Collection Hotel and contemplated some of the "treasures" kept in our historic winery.

Hope to welcome you back in beautiful Rioja

Alexander Peev

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great beautiful hotel in a vineyard. Guard check in and out. Very private. We had a junior corner suite but it is more like a much larger room with very tall ceiling. Even with an extra bed for my son, the room was still very big. Great sunlight. Quiet. Roomy bath with all the closet spaces you need. Concierge are very helpful with restaurant reservations and recommendations. Driving at night to neighboring towns for dinner is fun. The hotel looks very out of place at initial viewing but as the days goes on you will notice the hotel's vibrancy changes everyday and even different times of the day. One day it looks very vivid and alive with all the the pink, gold and silver showing its brilliancy. Next day the colors disappeared and the external architectures blended into the surrounding vineyard. It is a great location for relaxation and explore the quiet country sides and towns. Spa treatment is subpar. All and all it is a wonderful tranquil serene environment for relaxation. If you love little old town it is a place for you

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We spent 2 fabulous days at this hotel that will be hard to top. On the side that hotel itself is so uynique with its design , but its service was nothing less than superb!!
We were really swept off our feet.
The whole staff (front desk /loby/ restaurant/security/bellboy) was so poilte, so friendly , trying to help with anything we needed and we were spoiled so much that I don't know how I can go back now to anything less than this :) Even at the end they parked our car in front of the lobby and stuffed it with cold water so we have it for the rouad....so many nice touches that make it so good
We stayed in many other beautiful and evem much more expensive hotels, but never had service like this before.

The beds and pillows are great!!! Sooooo comfortable that we slept for 12 hrs!!!
Also you can ask for the bike and take a nice ride through the vineyards, and it was amazing.
Do not miss their vine tour - it is made to perfection.
We also got a free bottle of the wine in our room which was a very nice touch.
The restaurant cheff has 1 Michelline star rating so you will be spoiled there too!!!
Do not miss to try their Finca wine - it is unbelivable!!!
We also had a free breakfast wich was very big and had anything you needed, hot or cold ....

overall - amazing service on unique property in a beautiful surrounding with to die for food and wine
You will be happy with your choice !!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Biki U
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel was fantastic and so very unique! It was beautiful inside and out, and the views from our room were enough to make us not want to leave! The spa was also very nice, as was the restaurant. If we ever return to the region, we will definitely be staying at the Marques de Riscal again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Europa513
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I read the reviews before we stayed in the hotel and I read the few most recent postings. I am fascinated at the strong reactions that this hotel causes, hence my calling it a marmit experience, you love it or you hate it! We stayed over the New Year for three nights and had an enjoyable time. The weather was cold and dry and we were able to get out and drive to many of the surrounding towns. It is a very beautiful area and we will come back to have more of the wine tasting experience on offer. The wine tasting tour at Marquise de Riscal was excellent, very informative, one of the better tours I have been dragged to by my partner!
Now you want to know about the hotel! I loved it! In short I am a Gerhy fan so was thrilled to actually be able to stay in one of his buildings. Who wouldn't want to experience this lovely environment that has been created. I found the staff genuinely pleasant and the food we had was extremely good. I would agree that there were few communal spaces and therefore this may not be up to what people want in a 5* hotel. I think in the warmer weather when you could sit outside on one of the many patio areas you may think differently.
So would I recommend this hotel, yes, go have a great "experience"
Would I go back and stay in this hotel, no, have enjoyed the experience, on to the next one.

Room Tip: As to stay in the Gerhy building. Room 1 had a great view of the church across the vineyard.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank haidalondonLondon
apeev, General Manager at Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear haidalondonLondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review. I was delighted to read your comments about the genuine pleasant staff you have encountered here and also that you've enjoyed so much the excellent food and the guided tour of our historic winery. Your comments are very much contributing to keep working hard in order to delight our guests which is ultimately our main goal.

Hope you will bring us another opportunity to welcome you back in our unique Hotel Marques de Riscal, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Aexander Peev

Reviewed December 29, 2013

While the hotel is an architectural gem, the glitter ends at the front door. The staff, while friendly were mediocre at best, failing to answer calls from the room when one of the phones would not work, unable to provide basic information about restaurants in the town, and completely failing to recognize my status as a member of the SPG loyalty program. The front desk staff insisted they were giving me a room upgrade event though I was able to show them my reservations which clearly listed the same room type. I thought this was very deceptive. The food was very mediocre and certainly not worthy of a Michelin star and the entire place was a fortress, with access in and out of the property controlled by armed security guards. The spa was overrun with children under 12 and not at all relaxing, nor were the facilities that special. There are many better hotels and spas to stay at in Spain.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aatnaples
apeev, General Manager at Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear aatnaples,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write the review and to say that we do value all feedback from our guests both, positive and negative, as this is the best way to ensure we continue to evolve as a hotel team. I take all reviews seriously and really regret we didn't meet your expectations as a valuable SPG member, but I can assure you we will take in consideration your suggestion in order to improve.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

The architecture is pretty special (if you like that sort of thing) but what they fail to realise is it takes more than good architecture to create a hotel that people want to visit again and again.
Super contemporary hotels often struggle to make people comfortable and this one fails dismally - it is cold and sterile and the spa wing smells like a public swimming baths. The wine is OK but the food falls well short the high expectations from the fuss they make over it. The service is mixed (the porters were keen but the rest were mediocre). And all-in-all very poor value for money for what it is (a 3* hotel for 5* prices). But what surprised me the most was the complete indifference with which management treated any feedback. I won't be going back!

Room Tip: Avoid those near the spa which smell of chlorine. And ask for a view over the town or else you will...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SC_Chandler
apeev, General Manager at Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear SC_Chandler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I was concerned to read of your experiences during your time here and the negative impression this left with you of our property. We do try to get it right 100% of the time, but despite the efforts apparently we did not meet your expectations.

I can only apologize that we could not have done more for you during your time with us but I would welcome the opportunity to make amends should you return to Elciego.

Alexander Peev

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elciego
Sercotel Villa de Laguardia Hotel
Hotel Calle Mayor
Hotel Calle Mayor
#1 of 16 in Logrono
Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Parador de Santo Domingo de la C...
#1 of 4 in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Been to Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!