Hotel Marques de Riscal a Luxury Collection Hotel
$61
  • Bar/Lounge
Sercotel Villa de Laguardia Hotel(Laguardia)(Great Value!)
$99
$92
$166
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
$67
  • Restaurant
Posada Mayor de Migueloa(Laguardia)(Great Value!)
$120
$153
  • Restaurant
Hotel Viura(Villabuena de Alava)
$189
$183
Hotel San Camilo(Navarrete)
$66
$111
1,075 results
All reviewsmain buildingwine barwine tourmarques de riscaltasting menufrank gehryspa wingrioja regionla riojagehry buildinggastronomic restaurantmichelin starout of this worldindoor poolunique experienceamazing hotelgehry designed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We previously stayed at the Marques in the fall of 2010. That stay was fantastic. I reviewed it in Tripadvisor on October 9, 2010. While our recent stay ( October 2012) was still very pleasant, there were a number of factors that made this visit much less memorable. I will give some recommendations first and then go into more details for those who want more specific information. Request a room in the main building with a view of the city/church side (15 rooms in the main building- 28 in the annex). If your schedule permits, try not to stay during the grape harvest time, unless you specifically want to observe this occurring. The building itself is a Gehry "work of art" and each room in the main building has a character of it's own. If you end up staying in the annex, also request a room with the church/city/ main building view. If your room does not have a nice view, on the third floor of the main building there is a large outdoor patio with lounge chairs and tables. On a nice day you can enjoy some refreshments and the wonderful surroundings. Our first stay was in room # 4. A fantastic room! The room's window panes extend outward at different angles. There is a cushioned window seat at the base of the window that extends the entire length of the windows. In room #4, the view is of the vineyard in the foreground and the city and church in the background. It was so picturesque that we would often sit on the window seats to read for a while and then just sit and enjoy the view. Even though they were very busy this last visit, since we were a returning spg platinum-level guest, they were able to honor my request for a room in the main building - which I certainly appreciated. This time we were in room # 10. The room itself was very nice, but the view outside was basically a little bit of the vineyard, a little bit of the winery, but mostly of the paved road leading up to the hotel from the entrance and winery. Looking out and watching various tour groups and individuals walking up the road and taking photos of the building is not all that inspiring. Last time , when we checked in, we were given two coupons for a free glass of wine at the bar. After a day of driving and sightseeing, we thoroughly enjoyed some time relaxing, having our drinks and eating some tapas in this nice venue.No coupons were given to us this time (no problem) but the problem was when we went up to enjoy the bar. It was not available, as it was being set up for a private function later in the evening. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience last time. This time, the food was fine, but service was extremely spotty, as there was a group of twelve seated at a large table that often required the complete attention of the serving staff of three, compromising the service to the other patrons. I also observed two large tables being set up for another evening, so we went to the near-by town of Laguardia for very nice dinner that on that night. (other Tripadvisor reviewers give more detailed information about dining options in Laguardia). Last time, I really enjoyed spending some relaxing time in the pool. It's almost like a large lap pool, with en elevated faucet ( like a small waterfall) supplying the water. This time I had just finished some laps and was enjoying relaxing under the "waterfall" when apparently a tour group or two returned to the hotel. About 12-14 people all came down to the pool area within 10 minutes of each other. It became quite noisy and crowded. So, to summarize: the staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating; building and rooms very modern, quite spacious and interesting; wonderful spa, the pool and exercise room very nice; fantastic winery; exceptional dining options. However, your overall experience here will ultimately depend upon your expectations, your particular room and how busy/crowded they are.

Room Tip: City - church view side rooms have fantastic views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JackR46
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Spent a very enjoyable two days at the Marqués de Riscal on our way from the UK to the Costa Calida, staying in the Gehry Suite.

The hotel has a truly breathtaking design and the suite was spacious with superb views across the town to the distant mountains. All staff were very welcoming and friendly from the moment we arrived. The service during breakfast and especially dinner was excellent. Food was very good - we ate at the Bistró 1860 on both nights.

Spa was a peaceful and calming place to spend a few hours - never more than a couple of other people using it at the same time as us. Quiet pool, hammam, and large jacuzzi. It was very pleasant just wandering around the vineyards and Elciego, admiring the hotel design from different aspects. The tour of the bodegas was interesting and worth attending - a definite highlight.

Overall, ranks up with the best places we've stayed and we'd go out of our way to stay here in future.

Room Tip: Gehry Suite was excellent.
2  Thank choronzon
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We drove over from laguardia to visit the hotel and have lunch. We were met by a uniformed guard who shunted us to a parking lot and a shop selling wine and knicknacks. The concept that we were guests looking forward to a nice lunch and drinking wine was lost on the staff, who wanted to charge us $15 each for the privilege of visiting the restaurant. This visit was not in the high season, which makes our treatment even more inexplicable. oh well, we had a nice meal elsewhere.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Wonderful views from rooms, very interesting wine tour on site - great restaraunts although expensive by regional standards. Great Spa, with pool, steam and whirlpool, nice way to relax after a hard day of testing wine. Rioja was spectacularly beutiful - in my view the most picturesque compared to Rhone, Bordeaux, California and Canadian wine regions. Must eat at Hector Ortiz (see separate review). make sure you save enough time to explore the country side.

Room Tip: small hotel, I imagine all the rooms are great.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We chose this hotel based on the unique opportunity to stay in a Frank Gehry Building. The arrival to the hotel was impressive: the building itself, but also the way it is incorporated to Marques de Riscal winery and its beautiful grounds. We could pretty much reach out the window and touch the grapes getting ready to be harvested in the next 2 weeks! It was also quite a surprise to find such inviting, comfy rooms inside Gehry architecture. In the evening I couldn't bring myself to go to sleep, as a charming window nook & bench inside the room kept calling to me with its spectacular view of the old town and lit cathedral...here I whiled away the small hours: drinking in the view, writing my journal, and enjoying complimentary bottle of wine from the region - this will stay in my memory for ever. We were also very pleasantly surprised by the entire staff - being really touched by how helpful, genuine and down to earth EVERYBODY was. A special thanks to our server Jorge, who took great care of us several times during our stay -- friendly, polite, professional! Another highlight of our stay at this hotel was the rooftop library, with patios - where you can order drinks and read books or enjoy the breathtaking views. One day we decided to take advantage of complimentary bikes at the hotel -- taking us through the hills and wineries of Elciego, and to the old heart of the city. ...oh and I could not get my mom out of the wine inspired spa. Well what can I say - I left my heart and underwear (forgot to check that last drawer when packing to leave) in Elciego. The underwear was shipped within a few days to my home address...the heart stayed there :) Thank you!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family