“Disappointing”

Restaurant Marques de Riscal
Reserve with
Restaurant Marques de Riscal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Elciego
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: At the Michelin star and Repsol sun-awarded restaurant Marques de Riscal, exquisite dishes created by the prestigious Chef Francis Paniego can be tasted accompanied by some of the estate’s finest vintages. Its culinary excellence and superb levels of service have earned the restaurant a prestigious Michelin star and helped make it one of the hottest destinations in the region for gourmands. Located on the second floor of the hotel, the dining room is a masterful exercise in design. Wine aficionados will be drawn to the bespoke Frank Gehry-designed display wall containing a large selection of fine vintages from the Marqués de Riscal cellars as well as more than 200 international labels.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We came here for the 3rd time in 3 years and were very much loooking forward to our dinner event. Although there was nothing wrong with the food, it was perfect, but the Menu Degustación was exactly the same as last year. So there were no surprises and we thought the chef must have been very lazy or bored following the same formula for such a long period of time.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I quite enjoyed my dining experience at Gastronimic. We were guests of the hotel visiting along with another couple. So, there were four diners.

What I enjoy about Michelin Star restaurants is the precision in delivering the food to the table, women first (both women having the food presented at the same exact time hitting the table) then men. I watched as they appropriately put an empty plate in front of the diner who was not to receive that particular course so that they are not bare at the table. I revel in how they bring a clean set of utensils, and the choice of utensils specific to the round coming up next. I enjoy the decanting of the wine and the pouring based on etiquette and customer comments. They did a wonderful job here.

The food was very, very good. I had incredible lobster, moist hake, perfectly cooked Elk, etc. One thing that I do notice is the difference between a 1 Michelin Star restaurant and a 3 Michelin Star restaurant. The one star make the attempts at innovation but may fall down on taste or final presentation. Three stars deliver on all aspects. So I can see Gastronomic having room to improve.

For a 1 Michelin Star restaurant, I definitely felt that this is a good value for the quality of food that you get. I have paid through the roof for 3 Michelin Star places, with no regrets ever. Putting this perspective on the matter, I believe that Gastronomic delivers on the promise of 1 Star. For more perspective and a recent example for me, earlier this year I went to Amsterdam which has 9 restaurants with Michelin Stars and you will pay about 150 euros per person at these. Now include the wine, taxes and tips you will walk about paying nearly 250. We paid something like 150 euros per person including wine here and were quite happy about that.

I would dine here again in short. I didn't even mention the amazing Frank Gehry's innovative building did I....

2  Thank TravelingfromSF_8
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very surprise of the michelin rating of this restaurant , service and atmosphere were good and efficient however the quality of the food offering was far from a michelin restaurant...trying to touch at some molecular cuisine without real success ,it was missing the flair,quality and perfection of a Michelin restaurant,even the menu presentation in a paper folder was very surprising for that place.Decor and fast service was there and that was all...no real bad food but nothing to justify such rating.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Leaving aside the location (fabulous) and focussing on the food and service, I have to ask why a Michelin star? The food was OK, it was well-presented, but lacked the excellence in taste and presentation that should have set it apart from other restaurants. We had the Torrea tasting menu, workmanlike in its execution, but not brilliant, and things weren't helped by our friendly waiter's lack of knowledge when we asked questions about the food. A bit disappointing all in all.

1  Thank jeremyfd
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Pros:
- view is great.
- the restaurant setting is nice and upscale
- it is good way to have access to the hotel (to visit the building which is beautiful) if you are not staying there.

CONS
- food was not what you would expect. Had a fish soup (tasteless and almost cold), pig (it tasted like ground tasteless beef, and lamb (simply grilled with no sauces and lots of salt to give them taste).
- wine was not good. They made a recommendation based on what we said we liked, but it was totally opposite than what we like.
- very pricey.

You are better of having a drink and a tapa at the Hotel Cafeteria which is one floor down the restaurant, same view, outdoor seating as well, lower prices, and that way you will have access to visit the hotel.

1  Thank Negroycanche