“Excellent accommodation at a bargain price...”
Review of Riverhouse B&B

Riverhouse B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Upwey B&B and Inns
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Excellent accommodation at a bargain price...”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

...if you ring the hotel direct and at the last minute. Rooms are modern, clean and spacious having been converted from a stable block. A good shower as here is always a bonus.
You cannot have a cooked breakfast. "Continental" breakfast is delivered to your room the night before which means cold croissants. Food in the pub/restaurant is from a good menu with a wide choice of interesting food. The chef/owner is Italian and I really enjoyed his touches to my fish dish. If the restaurant had been busy - something to do with football - I might not have noticed the tired decor and swirly carpet. And why do these places insist on playing bad music too loud which does nothing for the ambience?
We stayed two nights and were surprised to be asked to settle our bill after dinner on the first night. Very silly on their part as it motivated us to go elsewhere on the next evening. The Hotel Inspector could improve this place in just one hour as there is far more right with it than wrong.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RonVic

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Dorset
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I live locally and have used the Riverhouse on many occasions. I'm still not really sure if it is a pub or a restaurant but I think if you go here you are expected to eat. What sets it apart from your average pub though is the quality of the food. The landlady made a point of saying that the food was all freshly prepared and there is no doubt that it was, Very good quality and very good portions, much enjoyed by all. It has a tendency to attract slightly more aged clientele but no problem there, I'm heading that way myself....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Hudwit
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Great place, situated out in the countryside.

I popped over to the pub for dinner and wasn't disappointed. Great home cooked food made from scratch, none of the rubbish microwaved food you find in so many pubs these days. Reasonably priced too. Desserts are to die for, a great selection, I couldn't resist!

The owners are really friendly and very approachable. I felt very welcome and really enjoyed my one night stay.

The only tiny down point is breakfast, a tray of food delivered the night before, pastries, cereals and a carton of juice. A bit poor considering the standard of food in the restaurant. This isn't a massive annoyance for me as I rarely have a cooked breakfast anyway. Also, considering the £52 I paid, I couldn't ask for more.

I'd recommend and I will be returning if I'm in the area again!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Senttocoventry
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Warm welcome, the waitress made an effort to say hello and take a seat as soon as we arrived even though she was taking coffee to another table. Nice ambience, described the food on offer & felt we were valued customers.

Extensive menu for lunch or dinner. We had fish and chips (seems boring I know) and were well satisfied with fresh cod, plenty of chips and some delicious home made tartare sauce. Guest beer of the week from north Yorkshire, which was described and highly recommended by our waitress, how right she was as it topped off a pleasant hour.

Room Tip: Turn off the new Weymouth relief road signed to Upwey & Bincombe, head towards Weymouth on the o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David T
Toronto
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We have just returned from a three night stay at the Riverhouse B&B. We will definately stay there again. The rooms were clean, spacious and well decorated. The staff were very friendly. Breakfast was as described in a previous review. With a good selection of cereals and pastries.

The location was very rural. Upwey is a small but beautiful village. This was a plus for us but Weymouth is a short drive away, if you need stores or the beach.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Lovely clean rooms with own front door straight out to the attractive garden. Lovely and quiet. Only a few minutues drive from the centre of Weymouth. Staff are really friendly and helpful. We knew it was a 6pm check in and did arrive a bit early and settled in the car park to read the papers and a member of staff popped her head out and said we could have our rooms early and we could pop back into the pub to settle up when the manager was back. The continental breakfast was really good value for money. I have taken a picture (yes I must get out more!!) and hopefully it will appear on my review page. There is a mini fridge in the room for the juice and pint of milk so more than enough for a few cups of coffee. Hotels never seem to give you enough milk so this is a refreshing change. We had 2 croissants and 2 pain au chocolates, 5 choices of cereals, butter jam and honey (fresh milk) and juice No way could you eat it all but we did take away the 2 flapjack bars for later!! The room was also well stocked with tea, coffee, hot chocolate.

Room Tip: Both rooms we have stayed in have been lovely, all rooms seem to be in a converted stable or farm bl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have just returned from Dorset following a long weekend break. It was a last minute booking, so choice within the Weymouth area was limited. Firstly, we were unable to book into the room until 6pm, which we felt was a little too late.......4pm would have been reasonable. We were greeted, and shown to our room. We didnt feel it was a particularly warm welcome; just, "here's your room, here's the key!"
On a positive, the room was spacious, clean and modern, and facilities were good. We ate in the Inn restaurant that evening and the food was fantastic.
Sadly the breakfast situation was a complete let down! Delivered to our room for the following morning.........boxes of kellogs cereal, croissants (no butter), pan'o'chocolate, chocolate krispie bar and two cartons of fruit juice with straws!! Very disappointing.
Unfortunately, we would not return for a second visit

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upwey
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Upwey
Higher Moor Farm
Higher Moor Farm
#1 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to Riverhouse B&B? Share your experiences!