“Swinging from the trees”

Karkloof Canopy Tour
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Howick
More attraction details
Owner description: A Canopy Tour® takes you on an unforgettable adventure as you slide from one platform to the next along a series of steel cables set amongst magnificent natural surroundings. It is widely regarded as one of the best eco-adventure activities in the world and is something for people of all ages with the youngest being 3 and the oldest 90 so far to do the tour. The concept of Canopy Tour originated in the rain forests of Costa Rica, where scientists were studying animals and birds in the Canopy Layer of the Forest. Safely sliding from tree to tree to a series of platforms became a novel way to see the flora and fauna of an indigenous forest. A whole new level of appreciation was born when the concept became one of South Africa’s most popular eco adventure activities. Karkloof canopy tour is only 1:30 from Durban, near Howick in the Midlands, this is a must do activity especially for nature lovers or adventure seekers looking to do something truly unique. Professional guides assure the safety of each group and point out interesting facts along the way. It’s ideal for team building, kid’s parties, family get-togethers, corporate events or just a fun day out. Open every day, with tours every half an hour from 8am to 3pm. Come experience one of South Africa’s fastest growing eco-adventures with thousands of satisfied thrill-seekers having already caught the bug.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Situated near to Howick in a picturesque setting with stunning views across the valley from the staging platforms.
Visited with old (and young) friends with a varied reaction, some went with trepidation and enjoyed hugely some went with anticipation and found the experience a bit too much. All in all a worthwhile experience that was made enjoyable by all because of the care and enthusiasm of the guides.
A good basic lunch was provided and all staff were friendly and competent.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I enjoyed this a lot; it was a very enjoyable adventure. The zip lines aren't for the faint of heart - I'm fairly brave with this type of thing and even I got a little nervous stepping off the platforms and zipping through the trees (I thought I heard one of the guides say you get up to 80 kph; felt faster!). It's a good operation - the people were very friendly, facilities were sharp, guides were winsome and easygoing, equipment was well maintained and rock solid (triple safety lines), and the forest is beautiful. I'd recommend it and I hope to come back with my family in a few years when my kids are a little older. It was very kid-friendly too; there were some children in our tour (seemed like they were enjoying it thoroughly) and the guides took extra care with them and the staff accommodated their dietary restrictions at lunch. I happened to get there a little early and was pleasantly surprised when the manager, Kai, took time to sit down and have a coffee with me - so rare to get that kind of service in the US. Really liked this place and big thumbs up.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was booked up for me by my two Great neices and I wasn't sure what to expect, however I gathered that it was going to be exciting when I was outfitted with a body harness and various safety lines.
The Karkloof canopy tours lies to the north of Howick which is also north of pietersmaritzburg Kwazulu-Natal, it is expertly run as you would expect with dangerous activity, it contains a limited cafe and bar as well as toilets and a mini shop, having been kitted out and given a safety talk we were driven up 'the hill' to the first platform and then inturn given instructions as to what to do ... and your away on the first of a number of treetop cable slides, exhilerating, exciting, adventurous...I don't think these words do this experience justice, it was all and more of these things, at times you are 40mtrs up but don't have time to be nervous, as soon as your all there you are off the the next treetop and at one point on a rock by a waterfall, halfway round you are given a choc bar and fruit drink, probably to keep the adrenalin flowing, all too soon it is over and you are down and a short walk back to the centre.
The safety team up there with you are all experts and were very good at getting us all through it safely with as much fun as they could muster, one of the team was taking photographs of us all at different points of the course and these are available at the end on a cd disc for a small fee.
At 68 I was slightly anxious but came through it all with admiration for our guides/instructors, I'm glad I did it and would say to anyone...give it a go you will not be sorry.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We had an absolute exhilarating experience doing the tour. The operators were very friendly and very competent in what they had to do. Will recommend this to everyone who want to do something different and fun.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you're too scared of bungy jumping, then a canopy tour is for you. If you love the adrenalin rush of buggy jump... then you'll really enjoy going faster down the slides (as you control your speed). Either way, fast or slow, the whole tour is such fun and thoroughly recommended for kids and adults.