“Friendly Owners!”

Agulhas Country Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in L'Agulhas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed there on a Sunday and Monday in the off season and had a wonderful stay! The owners Phil and Sue were really personable and charming and the hotel was neat, clean and warm with hospitality! The sunrise over the ocean was marvelous.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Agulhas Country Lodge

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Situated 3 km from Africa's most southern tip you will find this unique country lodge. This place has got Charm, Character & Romance! Try to meet the owners; Phil is a retired Air Force Helicopter pilot and has got plenty of stories and pictures and their themed Bar. Sue is a great host and chef. What a romantic and awesome 5 course meal we had that evening! Stunning Sea views!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hetty S
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We went in August 2011. It was in their off season and they weren't full but they made us feel so welcome. My husband is vegetarian and they made delicious meals for him every night. The location for sunrise walks is prefect and we could watch the ocean from our bedroom

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I read all the Trip Advisor Reviews on this hotel, and decided that the Agulas Country Lodge was the place for us to stay. Unfortunatetey, our experience was not as positive as the majority of others, and the more negative reviews (especially from HenryV) were in our opinion, more realistic.

Much has been written about the style and design of the place, and the photographs are a good representation. The location is beautiful, directly facing the bay, and the view from our bedroom window (room 5) was stunning. As one other reviewer mentioned, there is a road between the hotel and the bay, so it is not directly next to the ocean. Nevertheless, it is not a busy road, and doesn't detract too much from the view. Inside is indeed all stone walls, creaky floorboards and lots of atmosphere. There are quite a few steps from the car park to the main reception and about another 20 from the reception to the rooms upstairs. The indoor stairs are narrow and missing a handrail on the first set, and as I have a size 6 feet in boots, found that I had to tread very carefully.

The restaurant is very romantic, looking out to the ocean with a lovely log fireplace crackling away in the background. There is also a similar fireplace in the cigar room upstairs. This room was definitely for grown ups, so we didn't venture there with our 10 year old. There is also a computer/tv room which was on the landing close to our room, and the only sighting that we had of it being used was when the staff were on the sofa, huddled in blankets, watching tv and doubtless waiting for the evening service to begin.

Our room had a lovely view, but otherwise was unexceptional. As others have mentioned, our balcony was shared with the room next door - a first for us in our plethora of hotel travels. Our son had been given a mattress next to the doorway leading out to the balcony, and this was not made up. Staff were very apologetic about this and told us that the day staff hadn't done it in time for us. (!!!!) There were small gaps in the door (at the bottom where there was a gap where it met the doorstep) and also next to the lock - you could see the daylight through each area. When the wind blows in Agulhas, I'm sure that must be a few whistles through these gaps. But rustic, yes, very rustic. We closed the heavy drapes to cover the gapes, to be welcomed by two very large insects who had taken up residence there.

The furniture is antique style and matching the overall look, so it was completely in keeping. The bed was comfortable, but when I spotted what I thought was blood on a pillow case I was swiftly told that it was rust. "Because everything here rusts". Well, I know it must because we also live right next to the Ocean, but leaving rust dots on pillow cases just doesn't give a good impression. I found the bathroom adequate, but whilst the water pressure in the bath was excellent, the shower was dreadful. It was one of those 'dribble' showers - thank goodness I didn't need to wash my hair. The tealights in the corner of the bath had already been used, and like another reviewer, I did not like sharing the toiletries with previous guests. As far as hygiene goes, my impression is that our room was OK, but not spotless and smelling fresh and lovely.

The air conditioning/heating unit on the wall did not work, but the electric panel one on the wall did. The fridge was positioned underneath the wall unit, so maybe it's just as well that it didn't work......

When we made our booking on line, everything was very efficient, and we were asked then if we wanted to dine at the restaurant in the evening. Thinking that there wasn't much choice in Agulhas, we decided to do this. The minute we arrived at the hotel, we weren't asked how our journey had been, or anything else other than "are you eating with us tonight?". I was starting to feel like it was a bit hard sell. Standing with your bags at your feet, in the door for less than 2 minutes, and then having the menu read and explained to us was a strange welcome.

Others have commented how the owners made them feel welcome, and I only wish that they had been there. We felt almost invisible, and it was as though the hotel was being run by the kitchen staff. They tried their best and they were polite, but were not especially interested in us. When we left, no one asked how our stay was, wished us a good onward journey, or even wished us goodbye. What a pity.

Much has been written about the 'outstanding' quality of the evening meal. Well, in our opinion, it was very 'nice', but absolutely not gourmet. We considered it overpriced, as was the wine list. The breakfast was absolutely average, with a choice of cooked breakfast with a cold platter (which was pretty much demolished when we arrived just after 9.30), cheese board and cereals. We waited an age before our breakfast order had been taken, and when it came, it was incorrect. But we didn't want to wait any longer for it to be corrected and just carried on.

In total we paid just over R3,000 for one night's accommodation for two adults, one 10 year old child with dinner (with one bottle of wine) and breakfast. For us, this was too much to pay for a totally unexceptional experience and we were disappointed. For this price, you can stay in a genuinely top hotel in Cape Town, right on the waterfront, with free wi-fi and stunning breakfast, etc, etc, etc......

Needless to say, we won't be returning. There are other places to stay in Agulhas - don't fall into the trap of thinking that this is the 'only' destination. Ditto for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Maija63
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My parents and I stayed one night in Agulhas Country Lodge in the "family room." The location of this B&B is central to the Cape Agulhas monument marker as well as restaurants around the town. I would describe this lodge as rustic, as the outside is all stone and the inside all creaky wood.

The room was kind of a disappointment. We got a small room for the price I paid, and for the same price, I got huge two-bedroom apartments in both Knysna and even Cape Town! In our two-week trip around South Africa in seven different hotels, Agulhas Country Lodge had the worst room, as well as the smallest. The room had absolutely NO air circulation and was hot all night -- I wouldn't even want to imagine what this hotel would be like in the dead of summer. It's all concrete walls in the bedroom, which isn't exactly inviting.  There are no toiletries, just soap dispensers in the shower that hundreds of guests before you have used to wash themselves -- how nice.

One odd thing was that the television in the room was not setup to actually show any channels. When I inquired about getting the television to work, the staff told me after-the-fact that because the family room is "for kids," it's only setup to show DVDs and not any actual channels. (huh?) And then when I went to get some DVDs, the cases had different DVDs inside (which I also realized after-the-fact).  The whole thing seemed haphazard and amateurish.

The breakfast was good, and the the breakfast room has a great view over the water. There is a small but adequate buffet as well as made-to-order eggs and French toast. The service both at breakfast and during check-in was friendly and attentive. There is a self-service bar upstairs, as well as a sitting room overlooking the ocean. Since we only stayed there one night, we didn't have the opportunity to use the sitting room or bar, but it looked cozy.

Overall, I would not recommend Agulhas Country Lodge, or rather, I wouldn't recommend staying the night in Agulhas. If you have your heart set on Agulhas, then this B&B is adequate, but it is overpriced for what you get relative to other places and cities around South Africa.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Food is out of this world, The setting fantastic, The building charming and built of local stone. The owners and staff are very friendly and really make each visit special [I think this is our 9th time].

For us, this is a place to relax and unwind from the stresses of city life. We appreciate the fine linen, quality amenities and well laid out rooms. The Lodge has fantastic views over the bay and the ocean and one can simply sit and day-dream while whatching the views or take a short walk down to the ocean for some fresh air.

We'll be back !!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My wife and I spent a long weekend at the lodge last year and found it terrific. The room was spacious and the Jacuzzi a real bonus. Real luxury dining in the cosy restaurant where the owners treat guests with gracious hospitality. The pub is well stocked and the owners make you feel as if you are at home. Very relaxing for a quite weekend with your loved one, best in winter with a log fire and some great red wine.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near L'Agulhas
Arniston Spa Hotel
#2 of 5 in Struisbaai
Mermaid Guest House
Mermaid Guest House
#1 of 5 in Struisbaai

Been to Agulhas Country Lodge? Share your experiences!