“A quite nice hotel -- with a few strange bits.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Scandic Hotel Star Sollentuna
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sollentuna
Sun City West, Arizona
“A quite nice hotel -- with a few strange bits.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am staying at the Scandic Star Sollentuna for a conference.

I was given a choice of a “Superior” room overlooking the interior courtyard where the restaurant is (and that meant no fresh air circulation and the noise of people eating and the staff getting ready for breakfast before 6AM and cleaning up after 11PM) – or a room facing the exterior of the building with a lovely view of the autumn colors and fresh air … BUT it also came with the noise of trains zipping by literally every few minutes. As someone who always carries earplugs, I took the exterior room – and YES, you will definitely NEED earplugs. My room was about $250 per night.

What makes it strange -- at least for an American?

-- No thermostat.
-- No washcloth.
-- No bathmat.
-- No ice bucket.
-- Not a single drawer in the entire two-room suite.
-- Not a single picture on any wall.
-- No in-room safe.
-- No in-room refrigerator.
-- Beds in Sweden are different -- more like a thin futon on top of a box spring -- but comfortable to be sure.

What makes it quite nice?

-- The front desk staff is VERY helpful and friendly.
-- The gym is small but surprisingly well equipped. As a very serious weightlifter, I found everything I needed for a solid workout.
-- The train station is just a 5-minute walk from the hotel, so easy access to Stockholm.
-- There is a VERY nice mall with a complete grocery quite literally STEPS away from the front door of the hotel.
-- The windows open for some fresh air.
-- Heated bathroom floors are very nice, but there’s no control switch to turn it off. For a hotel that is very concerned about being “GREEN,” this is a huge waste of energy.
-- DIMMER SWITCH in the bathroom – perfect for a mellow soak in the tub.
-- One of the best, most-powerful showers I have EVER found in ANY hotel.
-- Fantastic breakfast! I really wasn’t expecting much since it’s FREE – but the truth is that the buffet is as good or better than breakfast buffets I’ve had for 20 Euro and more all over Europe. They even made up a “breakfast box” for me on my morning of departure since I would be leaving before the regular breakfast was open. (Tell them you want this the day before though – they make the boxes up before the kitchen closes for the night.
-- Wireless Internet service was fast and reliable throughout the hotel – my room, the lobby, restaurant and the conference facilities and meeting rooms.
One piece of advice –

Grabbing a taxi from the airport isn’t as easy as one might expect. Apparently the taxi industry has been deregulated, so you are confronted by a gauntlet of taxis from different companies all of which offer different rates. I absolutely HATE that. My taxi from the airport was 430SEK (currently about $65 US) – but other drivers were demanding as much as 600SEK ($90). So I walked up to each driver one by one and asked for a fixed price to my destination. What an unnecessary hassle!

On the way back, the hotel arranged for a taxi at just 390 SEK (about $60).

If you’re coming to Stockholm as a tourist, you might find this hotel a bit far from the excitement (truly just a 15 minute train ride though) – but for our business meeting, I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs -- the trains ARE noisy!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank NCWorldTraveler704

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Managed to book tickets to Stockholm on a weekend with two major concerts and a big sporting event. Hotel prices were sky high and all mid-range hotels booked up. In despair we turned to Scandic Star Sollentuna located in the north of Stockholm, a 15 mins train ride from the central station. We had a very good stay there and I'll tell you why.

- Service. The reception staff was truly welcoming and helpful.
- Room. I don't know how we did it but somehow we ended up in a great room with separate bedroom and TV-room with sofa. Great!
- Location. The thing that we dreaded - distance to central Stockholm - was not a problem. Commuter trains leave every 15-20 mins and the station is literally 50 metres away. So convenient! Just make sure you don't pay for single tickets, they're so expensive! Buy a ticket for several journeys or a Stockholm card that give you free public transportation.
20 metres from the hotel is Sollentuna Shopping Mall with many stores and a food court. Plus a supermarket with generous opening hours. Perfect!
- Price. We got really good rates. I'm so happy we didn't overpay in central Stockholm!
- Clean and quiet? Yes! At breakfast (which is good) we were surprised to see other people since we hadn't heard a thing from our room.
- Spa. Well, a small pool and sauna. But at least they've got one!

Would definetely consider this hotel again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fridolina
Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I spent three nights at Scandic Star Sollentuna with my fiancé. We had a basic room, it was quite modest but we found everything we needed there. The location is great if one is fine with taking a train to get to the city centre - the trip takes 15 minutes with a commuter train. Like somebody mentioned before, the Sollentuna station is right next to the hotel and therefore keeping the window open might result in some noise getting into the room. This didn't bother us though, the temperature in our room was OK and we didn't keep our window open. There is a very good grocery store in the shopping mall next to the hotel.

The staff was very friendly, everything went smoothly with them. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, so can't really say much about the restaurant. The breakfast was a bit above average, I'd say - one will find everything one might expect from a basic hotel breakfast buffet.

The WiFi worked perfectly. We got a password at the reception and used the same password our whole stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heidi H
Valletta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Been to Scandic Star Hotel in Sollentuna few days ago, it's only 5 minutes away from the train station, next door there is a modern shopping mall. Reception and Resturant staff are very helpful. The family room was good for 4 people with 2 TV's but noisy if you leave the windows open because of the trains, but otherwise the room is very warm during the night as there is no climate control. This Hotel lacks hygien some towels were returned with stains and WC with lime scales, complaints fall on deaf ears. There is a fridge in the room but no safe deposit box. Otherwise it is in a good location with a nice lobby, swimming pool, gym, bar and a nice resturant.

Room Tip: Trains stops working at 12.50 AM
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Been to the Scandic Star in Sollentuna just a few days ago, where I slep on a twin bed room, tried the gym and spa, breakfast and bar. The end result? I like it. The rooms are clean and the one I was in had two sections, one for a couch, table and a small closet for your clothes, and the other for twin bed and bathroom with shower and a bathtub. The rooms are good but I know from others that slept on similar rooms that not all of them are the same: some have a table near the bed, others have a mini-fridge (mine didn't). Overall? The rooms get an OK.

This hotel has a spa/gym on the top floor, where there is a small gym with a few treadmills, station bikes and elliptical machines to workout. There's also a few dumbbells, a bench and a cable machine where you get to workout chest, legs, shoulders, biceps, ..... There's also a small swimming pool and a sauna inside the locker room. For an avid gym goer, consider this hotel since you get a real chance to workout. Besides, the swedish culture is one of healthy habits, so you get a number of paths you can use to jog and use the bikes available at the hotel.

I could go on and on about details, but I'll sum it up to the following:

Pros:
Train a few meters away from the hotel gives you access to central stockholm in just 20m (yes, it's a pro and not a con, since you cannot hear the train inside the hotel :) )

Good gym/spa

Nice rooms with comfortable beds

Cons:
Hotel lobby decor is.....out dated?

The bar/restaurant close way too early...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

The rooms here are OK, the small CRT TV is out of place though. My room looked like it was an older suite, but the bathroom had been remodelled. Location wise it's great, and breakfast has good variety and quality. If you need to be in the northern part of Stockholm it's a great choice.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Except for the position, that is beside the Sollentuna Shopping Center, this hotel together with the service are literally terrible.
Probably my opinion is also motivated because I'm used with Sheraton or Hilton class hotels, but I had to complain on different aspects.
Reception personnel is colder than a fridge.
The room that I had was horrible: small, dirty and the desk size was almost the size of my laptop. I guess the carpeting was never cleaned.
Room service: I don't understand why they place new clean towels on top of my travel luggage, commonly known as really dirty.
Restaurant is probably not too bad, but it has a very limited choice

Room Tip: Next time in Stockholm I'd for sure look for a different accomodation
2 Thank robgrame

Travelers are raving about these Sollentuna hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sollentuna
Scandic Victoria Tower
#5 of 5 in Kista
The Winery Hotel
The Winery Hotel
#2 of 10 in Solna

Been to Scandic Hotel Star Sollentuna? Share your experiences!