1,424 results
All reviews privilege room sauna and steam room separate building local pub evening meal lovely hotel wedding reception lovely setting leisure facilities function room wedding venue relaxing break decent size sunday morning buffet style waiting staff royal oak
Reviewed October 31, 2018 via mobile

I booked last minute for a family funeral that I needed to attend. When we arrived and were given our room key I was disappointed to say the least. The room was very small and considering it had cost £150 for 1 night for myself and my husband I expected a decent room! I went to reception and Chrissie was brilliant. Really lovely and actually listening to the issues. We were moved to a lovely room with much more space. I have mobility issues so need a separate shower not one over a bath so the new room was great. We were given a complimentary meal at the restaurant too. Chrissie was friendly, polite and very professional. A huge credit to the company. Thank you fir a lovely stay

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed October 30, 2018

Slightly disappointing stay considering its a 4* hotel. Had a 6pm checkout but this clearly wasn't communicated to the cleaners who came in twice without knocking. Room key also stopped working after 12. Check in was slow and reception always had a queue. Didn't ask if we wanted a paper for the morning. Room was a ''priviledged' but décor was tired. Website said extra toiletries but we only got shower gel and shampoo???

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed October 30, 2018

We got a DBB offer online, and had a lovely stay.
We were especially impressed with Chelsea on reception, who not only quickly and efficiently moved us to a double room when we were placed in a twin by accident, but she remembered us every time we passed and was very friendly.

The food was nice, the sausages at breakfast were absolutely awful, but breakfast was very good. As it was a sunday evening, service was quite slow but we weren't in a rush so it didn't bother us too much.

Comfortable beds, nice rooms with bubbly bubble bath!, and friendly service. We would definitely come back.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Emily C
Reviewed October 28, 2018

We booked with Booking.com, which had given the hotel some great reviews. I then read Trip Advisor and started to panic a little! Yes, the hotel is a little dated in places, but overall, we had a great time.
Our room was lovely and clean, the bed was incredibly comfy and the spa facilities were great. Breakfast was decent - plenty of variety and a continual supply when it was running low. Have to agree with a previous comments about the sausages though - they were pretty rank!
We didn't order an evening meal so can't comment.
We have stayed at more expensive B and B's with fewer facilities as well as hotels which have been a lot more expensive for not a lot more to offer, so we were very happy with the hotel. Will definitely be returning if we're in the area.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2018

I stayed here for two weeks - rooms 16, 23, 29.
In week one it took 3 days and 3 requests to fix a light. The room felt really dark. There was some mould on the shower hose and on the shower surround. In the second week I moved room due to 3 broken lights and a broken window. I then had a bath hot tap which didn't work(this was fixed after 2 days) and by day 4 another broken light. Every day the bar of virtually unused soap was unnecessarily removed and replaced, and the towels were changed. These are not big problems but for the price you pay (over £600 for 5 nights) I expect better. I think Premier Inn do it better!! The hotel has a sense that the management really have no concern for the planet or much concern for their guests. The price is high for the quality of the hotel and their approach is old fashioned. Their approach to any extras (eg a shower cap, decent biscuits, the amount of milk provided in the rooms) feels miserly. Perhaps if they didn't spend so much on soap and towels they could provide some nicer touches elsewhere. The staff were lovely and always helpful. The gym and spa facilities are great. But it feels like the management completely take their guests for granted. I doubt that they have ever stayed there themselves. The food is also mediocre and overpriced.

Room tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Also one furthest away from the railway line if you are a light sleeper.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business