“Oversold room”

Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brandon
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I booked a room advertised as having bed with canopy or 4 poster. We were given a room in the main part of the hotel which not only had no canopy but had a very tired look about it. The carpet was old and wrinkled and had seen better days. We went to the bar where a waitress asked if we had stayed there before. We replied no and we wouldn't stay there again. She very kindly arranged for us to be moved to the newer part of the hotel where the rooms were very good indeed. However, having been given a substandard room initially soured what should have been a memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank ronkennedy
H6625-gm, General Manager at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Ronkennedy,
Thank you for your comments, I can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly. I very pleased that Penny was able to resolve the issue with your room an I am glad that the alternative room that was arranged was more satisfactory.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at Brandon Hall for one night whilst working locally.
Check-In was efficient and friendly and I was offered WIFI codes as I checked in which was good as most hotels let you get to your room before you realise you need to collect a password! My room was spacious and clean, the only downside was the lighting - 3 lamps did not emit enough light in the bedroom and made it a little uncomfortable when working on a laptop.
I ate in the bar, the service was good and the food decent quality and reasonably priced as far as hotels go. Breakfast in the morning was very good, a good selection of fresh fruits, cereals, breads and hot food. Probably one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts I have had. I booked breakfast the evening before for £10, if you pay on the morning you will be charged £15.50 so it's well advised to ask in advance if you book on a room only basis.
Overall the hotels offered good very good value and was ideal for a business stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank bsnsjone
H6625-gm, General Manager at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear bnsnjone,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I spent a weekend here with a friend. We found an online deal which included breakfast, two spa treatments and 3 course dinner included in the price of the room which was reasonable to begin with. The staff were very friendly and apologetic about the long wait at check-in (there was a wedding going on). Food quality was fine and rooms nice too. My only comment would be the absence of bathrobes in the room (we got our from the spa) and there was only one power point to charge your devices (the bedside lamps had bespoke outlets which not even the most advanced power adapter could tackle). Lovely setting, easy to find. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NMPCC100

Dear NMPCC100,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stay here occasionally for work reasons, its a nice hotel with modern rooms. Some of the rooms have questionable decor that is contempory grey for example, but not unpleasant. There is a great pub just down the hill which I tend to use as I prefer to eat alone at a bar than in a hotel restaurant although im sure the hotel food is just as good. The breakfasts are certainly fine.
I will stay again and I would recommend. Beds medium-firm, decor modern, flat screen tv. Good enough for a leisure break with the wife or a solo visit for work.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GilesB71

Dear GilesB71,

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked this venue after racking my brains for ideas on a surprise getaway for my wife. I need not have worried. On arrival into the driveway and seeing the setting of the Hotel I felt massively relieved, the setting looked stunning!!. On entry into the grand reception we were met by a very friendly receptionist who proceeded to book us in. We enquired about a room upgrade and were delighted that this cost was only £20 for a much bigger room with better facilities, (coffee machine complimentary drinks bar etc.).
I had booked treatments at the spa in advance of us arriving which was a good idea as the spa looked very popular. My wife enjoyed her treatments and we both enjoyed the pool, and the steam room which were very clean and first class.
We also enjoyed lunch prior to the spa experience and again this was very tasty and although quite pricey there was plenty of choice .
There was a wedding party who arrived but this did not cause any issues with service or noise issues and in fact created a buzz around the place.
Dinner was excellent from the set menu and the orange baked Alaska dessert superb!!.
breakfast the following morning was also excellent but I was glad it was included in the package as it was quite pricey, but again there was plenty of choice.

So any downsides?. All in all given it was a surprise getaway booking it is hard to fault, the only issue we had was the mini bar which was not so much as a mini bar but contained a bottle of water two cokes and a fruit juice drink, no alcohol. Which we had paid the upgrade for. The other minor niggle was the wifi wasn't working at all and we couldn't even get any signal whatsoever which might of caused problems if we were away on business.

I would definitely recommend this hotel/spa and we will definitely use it again!!!

Room Tip: I would suggest the upgrade however I have not seen the standard rooms. We had no issues with noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lstevens123

Dear Lstevens123,
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The good news is that the Wifi fault was temporary and was up and running following the replacement of a piece of hardware on Monday morning, I am only sorry that this impacted on your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We went with dear friends to celebrate a BIG birthday. We had booked a table, the room was very nice, interesting collection of mirrors on the wall and a spacious feel, meaning you were not too close to the next table.
Service was slow but attentive. Food was beautifully presented but very small portions -fine dining I guess. We felt the focus was on the appearance more than the taste.
I had the "gourmet" burger. Ordinary white bread roll, a lettuce leaf, 2 slices tomatoes.A fairly run of the mill burger with melted cheese on top. My chips never came, but they made a generous deduction off the bill to compensate.The wine was a beautiful Shiraz at £22, which is a good price.
Some of our party really enjoyed the food, so I would say it is hit and miss. Lovely environment but there are better places to eat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank berni a
H6625-gm, General Manager at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Berni A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that in general you and your party enjoyed your meal and we have noted your most constructive feedback regarding some of the food, which I will be addressing appropriately

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here as a present from my parents in May 2013, the hotel itself was lovely, nice clean bedrooms, food was good, grounds were lovely and overall a pleasant stay. My only complaint was with the spa that is part of the hotel, I had booked a treatment as part of my present with a therapist called Talluha, very abrupt and seeing as how i was there to relax, i was bombarded with heavy selling at every opportunity. Not quite the tranquil experience i was hoping for, i have been to spa's before and always found it to be a lovely way to spend a day, and always found it a friendly experience, but im afraid this ruined my trip somewhat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie A

Dear Julie A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the service in the Spa, which I will be addressing appropriately
Michael Stenson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brandon
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire? Share your experiences!