“Great staff and lovely food”

Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brandon
“Great staff and lovely food”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My hubby and I stay here over the weekend on a red letter day. Hotel was nice and clean and staff were really friendly and helpful even thought the hotel was fully booked and had two weddings on. Nothing was to much trouble especially for Lucy how seemed to work all weekend as she booked us in, seved us dinner and was working at breakfast the next day. It's not a five star hotel but is clean, friendly and a nice place to stay.

The food in the restaurant was lovely and price of the three course meal was £20 per head including a complementary coffee at the end. so not a rip off as other people have said. Saying that the bar and room service is pricey, but no more than other hotels I have stayed in

Overall. We had a good peaceful and enjoyable night away from the kids.

• Stayed September 2012
H6625-gm, General Manager at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Ruytongirl1,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I will most certainly be passing on all your positive comments to the relevant Team members. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel & Spa Warwickshire and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Michael Stenson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently came back from a weekend with girl friends.We were on a spa break which included treatments.The staff were all very friendly and helpful, some went the extra mile beyond. My thanks to Adam the manager, Bianca and Adam in the bar who all helped to make our weekend great and not just good.
Food also beyond expectations, thank you chef.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet S
Dear Eurosite,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I will most certainly be passing on all your positive comments to the relevant Team Members. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel & Spa Warwickshire and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Glossop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a disappointment! This looked like a lovely place to stay - and on arrival was greeted warmly by the reception staff. My room was good - it was upstairs from reception in the old part of the building - but the room was fine - except for the window catch of the tall French windows onto the small balcony - which was broken - so the windows couldn't be secured.
Staying on bed, breakfast and evening meal basis - we were limited to a very small choice on the "set menu" - admittedly we could have gone "a la carte" and used the £20 allowance - but the prices were such that our meal would have been one course rather than three!
On the first evening the meal was quite poor. We had to ask for more bread as this was being rationed by the staff! It tasted quite bland - and the quantity was minimal. My colleague ordered "strawberries and cream in a chocolate tub with edible soil" and was provided with a spoon only by the waitress (no fork) so that when she tried cutting through the chocolate tub it cracked and went everywhere!
On the second evening the meal was disgusting. We opted to have the rib eye steak - but had to pay an extra £6 on top of the allowance - this was because the choice of other things was so limited. We both made the mistake of saying "Yes" to an additional sauce with the steak - garlic and herb. Whatever you do - please don't make the same mistake we did.
My dinner arrived and the sauce was in a tub alongside the steak. Before I tried it - I know I should have done first - I poured it over the steak. For some reason the sauce was cold - and not just "cold" at room temperature - but cold as in from the fridge. The result was that the steak instantly was cold with a semi-congealed mass of greasy, oily garlic butter. The minimal number of chips (I counted about 8) were OK - but that was about it!
I asked the waitress to check with chef if the sauce was meant to be cold - and the message cam back that it was! Yuk!
For dessert we decided on the strawberries and cream again. Mine arrived and I realised immediately that this was also a con! The dessert consisted of a single strawberry - or to be absolutely accurate - half a strawberry - cut in half (ie 2 quarters of a strawberry) on top of the chocolate pot with edible soil! I said to the waitress - something like - The menu says "strawberries" and you have given me less than one strawberry - to which she replied "We often get told that."
Well, Brandon Hall, I was staying in the area for 2 nights along with a colleague - doing some work nearby. I certainly will not be requesting a further stay at your hotel until you do something about the food.
Oh - on the second morning there was no hot water (and I mean none) for a shower or shave.
The moral of the experience - if staying here don't book evening meal - especially if you are hungry!!!!

Room Tip: Find a nearby restaurant for your evening meal!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
H6625-gm, General Manager at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Keith_Parry,
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel & Spa Warwickshire. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently addressing the comments that you raised with the Teams concerned with reference to the broken window catch and the service at dinner. Please feel free to contact me on H6625-gm@accor.com to discuss this further and in person.
Yours sincerely,
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Staff were very helpful, there's a good spread for breakfast, the conference facilities were good as well (although a few more bits of paper wouldn't have gone a miss), and they did well feeding 60 of us in one go. I'd stay there again. One small point-the wifi connection although good, wasn't cheap.

Dear Campagnoto 39-53,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am also pleased to confirm that we now offer complimentary wifi fibre optic board band throughout the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel & Spa Warwickshire and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend with my partner, on arrival all seemed very pleasant, the hotel is old and has plenty of character, on checking into our room first impression was good, it was a decent size with views across the grounds, fields and beyond. On closer inspection I found hair on the bathroom floor, also in the bath and that the complimentary shower gel had been used by the previous occupant, not pleased. The bed was not very comfortable , rather lumpy and sank in the middle. We ventured to the pool and spa area which was ok but lacked a jacuzzi and the female changing rooms where less than clean. I could not fault the service from the bar staff but had to complain the following day when returning to our room after a day out it still had not been cleaned by 4pm. We also observed that the lampshades on the walls of the dining room where full of cobwebs - nice thought with food about - another complaint. The breakfast menu was good with plenty of choice. I have stayed in plenty of Mecure hotels and this one let's the chain down. The location of this hotel is good for visiting, Warwick, Coventry and Rugby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lesley-Ann N
Dear shake five,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel & Spa, Warwickshire. I am sorry that you were so disappointed with the standard of housekeeping within the hotel.I will share your comments with the relevant Teams within Mercure as this does not reflect our usual high standard. I do hope that you will use our facilities in the future.
Sutton, Surrey
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have just had our 3 day conference here. I stayed 4 nights to make the weekend of it since it is very close to Warwick Castle. Firstly despite a few negatives which I will list further down we will definitely hold our conference at this hotel again as the positives outweigh the negatives.

The good points: great location, 10 minute train from Birmingham International Airport then a 20 minute cab from Coventry. Beautiful grounds, lovely Spa & Gym. Food was excellent and all our customers commented on how fantastic the food was. Beds very comfortable and the Executive rooms very big for a hotel. Our Suite was not the best in the hotel but was comfortable and had a fridge in the room plus ironing board & iron, flat screen t.v. and lovely toiletries with towels changed every day.

Dining: Josh & Daisy stood out from everybody else in the dining room. Any problems raised were addressed by Josh immediately. He bent over backwards to ensure we were happy. Friday night the staff were not as on the ball as they should have been. I had to wait for ages for my coffee & drinks menu and the staff seemed to spend time talking on Friday rather than being diligent. However Josh was made aware of this and the service was excellent from then on. We had a set menu and the hotel realised we would have this for 3 nights or more and changed a couple of the dishes to give us a better choice (without being asked). Lunch was buffet style but of a high quality. The chicken/chorizo pie was amazing and the desserts simply divine. There was something for everyone.

Reception: I met several receiptionists who were very polite, helpful and ensured we knew all the meal times & Spa times. James,Paulina & Hayley stood out. Unfortunately there were 3 mix ups with rooms and our Director & one of our guests did not get the Suites they were supposed to despite Paulina putting the information on the computer whilst I was there - these things do happen but I hope the hotel will ensure this does not happen again. The reception did offer to move our customer but as it was 7pm and we were about to have dinner it was not worth it.

Conference: Our contact Kerry was great and really went out of her way to ensure our conference ran smoothly. The room had been set up incorrectly but all hands to the deck and the staff had it classroom style in no time and not a single murmur or moan. They are truly professional. Likewise Shaun & Lucy really looked after us during our conference sessions in the Woodlands Suite. Lots of naughty treats with our coffee/tea but lovely fruit kebabs too - so something for everyone.

Bar: we all felt the drinks are overpiced and as a result a lot of our guests took themselves off to the local pub a 10 minute walk away. I am aware that the hotel cannot do anything about this as head office will not listen - what a shame as they lost revenue because of this.

All in all despite the few hiccups and some of the rooms needing updating this was a fantastic venue with great staff and food. We all have our opinions on things but you cannot dismiss a hotel just because of a few niggles. Its fine mentioning the negatives but you have to also state the positives in order to provide a fair review.

This is a great hotel and they are constantly working to improve their service.

We will DEFINITELY hold our meetings there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new section of the hotel as these have been refurbished. The suites in the ol...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TaffyKins
Dear TaffyKins,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I will most certainly be passing on all your positive comments to the relevant Team Members. Thank you also for your constructive comments, which I have passed to the relevant team managers for review and further training where needed. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel & Spa Warwickshire and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Our company Demand Solutions held its 20th EMEA customer conference here.
Over the 3 days spent here the accommodation was more than adequate, clean and modern the food and refreshments during breakout sessions were great and both the after noon and evening meals included on the deligaye rate were of a ver high standard. The service throughout my stay and especially Josh and Daisy were memerable and excellent and the gym facilities were welcome and pleasant

1 Thank RobbieTD
Dear Robbie T-D,
Michael Stenson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brandon
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
Ardencote
Ardencote
#1 of 1 in Claverdon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel

Been to Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire? Share your experiences!